News Michael Voss departs for Carlton

“He’s had a huge presence, very personable and very impressive. They got Aaron Hamill in as an assistant and interestingly enough, both have similar qualities in driving standards and culture but they’re now looking for a tactician.

“They’re now looking for an assistant coach to be a tactician, who is going to be the guy that drives the way that they play.”

That last one would concern me.

None of this comes as a surprise to me.

None of this comes as a surprise to me.
Voss can deliver a message, a pump up, a spray,.a speech to fans how the team plays. And he still has an aura for many players. His issue will be having the right tactics. It was his issue at Brisbane and it will be again here.

It will be interesting to see what he tries ro copy from Port and what he will reject.

It will also be interesting to see if he stays on the boundary line or heads upstairs to the coaches box. I reckon he found his niche the last 2 seasons being the guy guiding our players on the boundary line. I guess it might depend on who is the head tactian and how much trust he has in his assistant coaches as to how much time he spends down on the boundary line and how much in the box.

247377386_4570325036364313_6208365719646246501_n.jpg

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The scene is set. Port Adelaide vs. Carlton at Marvel, Port are 4 points up with 60 seconds to play and Hartlett is roving a tap in the Carlton F50, 20m out from goal. Ken Hinkley looks on nervously from the coaches box with arms folded whilst Michael Voss is barking orders in to the phone...

... and while Voss is barking useless instructions that won't have time to be delivered and enacted, Lachie Jones swoops like a wedge tailed eagle to cut Hartlett in half and pin him holding the ball.

The siren blows, Port records the win and Hinkley knows the processes put in place and practised for such a situation have been successfully executed by the team.

:D

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
... and while Voss is barking useless instructions that won't have time to be delivered and enacted, Lachie Jones swoops like a wedge tailed eagle to cut Hartlett in half and pin him holding the ball.

The siren blows, Port records the win and Hinkley knows the processes put in place and practised for such a situation have been successfully executed by the team.

:D

Sounds like a much deserved contract extension is on the cards.

and one year as an assistant at West Coast I believe?

He was just about to start as an assistant over there when Matthews pulled up stumps prematurely and he was thrust into the Lions job 12 months ahead of schedule.

Back