Welcome Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack, was no angel. He won 2 premierships and then yes he blew the place up. But my point was we need that winning focus from the president down. STOP BEING THE NICE CLUB. You can not blame Jack, over 20 years after he left, for the Carlton Football Club's inability to resurrect. Is the Carlton Football Club going to take individual responsibility for its results or blame them on someone who has been dead for nearly 2 years.
Was a very under achieving era to only win 87 and 95 with the players we had was very poor --considering we had good sides from 86-2000

Was a very under achieving era to only win 87 and 95 with the players we had was very poor --considering we had good sides from 86-2000
Bizarre- 2 premierships and 5 grand finals. Collingwood 2 premierships since 1958. Swans 2 Since 1933. Right now 1 flag in the next 14 years is looking good.

You shouldn't speak ill of the dead.....He was a product of his time. Not a bad person at all.

No ones argument is crap. Take it easy man

To the living we owe respect, but to the dead we owe only the truth.

Voltaire

The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us

Very apt considering what's transpired after Jack and the salary cap no?

Who is dwelling on it? If people imply we need some sort of return to those days, then the very reasonable response is to highlight the truth of the matter. There are plenty of cautionary tales in the world that we sometimes need to be reminded of. That doesn't mean we are dwelling on them in our everyday lives.

We are well beyond the days of open chequebooks and cheating.

Who is dwelling on it? If people imply we need some sort of return to those days, then the very reasonable response is to highlight the truth of the matter. There are plenty of cautionary tales in the world that we sometimes need to be reminded of. That doesn't mean we are dwelling on them in our everyday lives.

We are well beyond the days of open chequebooks and cheating.
Collingwood embrace their culture which is battlers sticking together. We have lost who we are.

Arrogant winners who care little for what anyone else says. We need to go back to that

Collingwood embrace their culture which is battlers sticking together. We have lost who we are.

Arrogant winners who care little for what anyone else says. We need to go back to that

A battler mentality can lift a side. Arrogance was never the catalyst for us winning. It's just something we were labelled with because of how we acted when winning.

Do you really think that if our players started acting arrogant, they'd start doing all of the hard things required in modern footy? How does arrogance help you do the team things? We can do with one or two arrogant types if they back it up with the x factor stuff. Another Bosustow wouldn't go astray. That attitude as a team wide thing though ... confined to the dust bin of history. The game is far more professional than it used to be.

Voss needs support. Sacking him will do more harm than good.

He just seems lost at sea this year.

There is just nothing going on in the coaches box. Hansen seems to have some nous but I'm not sure he's sharing it with Voss. He's one that is edging closer to his own senior coaching job, but he needs to help Vossy through this or both stocks go down.

Most of the rest seems quite underwhelming, bar Luke Power who seems to have brought the best out in several VFL players.

A senior coaching advisor would at least provide something to us. Not sure who is available or rated in that regard.

A battler mentality can lift a side. Arrogance was never the catalyst for us winning. It's just something we were labelled with because of how we acted when winning.

Do you really think that if our players started acting arrogant, they'd start doing all of the hard things required in modern footy? How does arrogance help you do the team things? We can do with one or two arrogant types if they back it up with the x factor stuff. Another Bosustow wouldn't go astray. That attitude as a team wide thing though ... confined to the dust bin of history. The game is far more professional than it used to be.
Have you met many of our star players from our halcyon years? Pretty funny.

I would also say my arrogance has helped me rise to the top in business as well.

Carltons arrogance is well known and is something we have had since we started. But especially since the 60s

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fisher survives again. If the argument to back Voss is based on “not sacking another coach” then it’s tenuous at best.
Yes....tomorrow I fully expect to turn the TV on and see Voss and Sayers fronting the media after he's been sacked - and when asked the reason behind the sacking, Sayer's reply will be "because he selected Fisher."

There is just nothing going on in the coaches box. Hansen seems to have some nous but I'm not sure he's sharing it with Voss. He's one that is edging closer to his own senior coaching job, but he needs to help Vossy through this or both stocks go down.

Most of the rest seems quite underwhelming, bar Luke Power who seems to have brought the best out in several VFL players.

A senior coaching advisor would at least provide something to us. Not sure who is available or rated in that regard.

Yeah I'm leaning toward a more senior advisor. Not sure who either at this stage.

Hansen... not too keen on him either tbh. Our forward line looks like a mess. The crumbers are hardly ever getting to the right spots, opposition is waltzing out of there, the talls are leading to awkward spots. I know the entries are killing us, but less than 10 goals in 4/6 games is very telling.

Power is the only one who's impressing.

The director of footy needs to be held accountable for this stuff as well...

This is not true. What you mean is its there for you to see. However I don't see it. I see that when we have the ball more than the opposition and miss shots for goal and the other team doesnt miss the other team wins. Thats not tactics its execution.
100%. Totally agree. I don't think Voss' gameplan is that bad, nor do I see him having much choice when it comes to moving the magnets around.

Our 2 main issues are still the same as they have been for the last 5 years;
  1. Delivery into the forward line is seriously Flawed & Our forwards don't know how to lead into space and are continually in contests.
  2. We are still mentally fragile. This is improving, but it's because we don't score that the pressure ramps up, especially on our defense, which is undeservedly maligned at times.
I will also add (what I've been banging on about for the last few weeks) that we need to be tougher on players that don't perform and give other players a chance to come into the 22 as a reward for playing well. Confidence is also lacking because fringe players are scared of being axed in favor of someone who has skills, but not necessarily any effort/drive.

So what your telling us is that if Voss dyes his hair, we're in with a shot.....
No I didn't say that.
Once a redhead always a redhead.
Dying will not likely help.
That's why McRae, the Scott brothers. and everyone else from the Brisbane premiership team are much better.
Voss and Leppitsch are the only epic failures.
😁

Last edited:
100%. Totally agree. I don't think Voss' gameplan is that bad, nor do I see him having much choice when it comes to moving the magnets around.

Our 2 main issues are still the same as they have been for the last 5 years;
  1. Delivery into the forward line is seriously Flawed & Our forwards don't know how to lead into space and are continually in contests.
  2. We are still mentally fragile. This is improving, but it's because we don't score that the pressure ramps up, especially on our defense, which is undeservedly maligned at times.
I will also add (what I've been banging on about for the last few weeks) that we need to be tougher on players that don't perform and give other players a chance to come into the 22 as a reward for playing well. Confidence is also lacking because fringe players are scared of being axed in favor of someone who has skills, but not necessarily any effort/drive.
Just on the highlighted bit, its actually not Voss' game plan per se'. I listened to a leadership podcast recently with him on it and he says that when he first arrived, he asked the players how they wanted to play. He stated they were pretty bang on as they are smart guys and know their footy really well. He and the coaches went away and devised a game plan that represented their preferred style and presented it back to the playing group. There was some back and forth a few times to tweak it but essentially, they players and coaches all own it (ie full 360 buy in). So as you say, it all comes back to execution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back