Michael Voss Sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches who oversaw four successive years of no finals (with record in 5th year and beyond where applicable):

Club|Years|Coach|Record after 4th year|Notes
\Br|1991-1994|Walls, Robert|10-13-0|8th;told after R15 5th year he wouldn't be re-appointed
\Br|2005-2008|Matthews, Leigh|-|
\Ca|2003-2007|Pagan, Denis|4-12-0|sacked after R16 4th year
\Co|1940-1944|McHale, Jock|73-47-2|10th,3rd,3rd,5th,3rd,4th
\Co|1996-1999|Shaw, Tony|-|
\Es|1936-1939|Baggott, Jack|-|resigned after R6 4th year
\Fr|1995-1998|Neesham, Gerard|-|
\Ha|1935-1938|McAlpine, Ivan|-|
\Ha|1952-1956|Hale, Jack|29-26-0|3rd,6th,7th
\Ha|1967-1970|Kennedy, John J.|98-43-0|1st,6th,7th,3rd,2nd,1st
\Me|1929-1932|Warne-Smith, Ivor|-|
\Me|1974-1977|Skilton, Bob|-|
\Me|1981-1985|Barassi, Ron D.|6-16-0|11th;saw out unsuccessful 5-year plan
\Me|2008-2011|Bailey, Dean|-|sacked after R19 4th year
\NM|1959-1962|Carter, F. Wally|-|
\NM|1963-1966|Killigrew, Alan|-|
\NM|1967-1970|McKenzie, Keith|-|
\Ri|1948-1952|Dyer senior, Jack|-|
\Ri|1957-1960|McDonald, Alan|-|
\Ri|1988-1991|Bartlett, Kevin|-|
\Ri|2005-2009|Wallace, Terry|2-9-0|sacked after R11 5th year
\Sy|1925-1928|Pannam, Charlie E.|-|
\Sy|1954-1957|Matthews, J. Herbie|-|
\WB|1957-1960|Whitten senior, Ted|74-96-0|2nd,5th,9th,7th,10th,10th,11th,7th,8th
\WB|1962-1966|Whitten senior, Ted|31-49-0|10th,11th,7th,8th
\WB|1986-1989|Malthouse, Mick|-|
\Fi|1965-1970|Stephen, Bill|36-51-1|10th,9th; returned in 1979 - 4th,12th
\Fi|1971-1974|Donaldson, Graham|-|
\Fi|1991-1994|Shaw, Robert|-|
Kennedy the only future premiership coach among them, having previously won in 1961.

If it's not Roos, an outside chance might be Eade.

The ultimate would be Clarkson though. Not sure they'd have pulled the trigger just yet in that case.

I'm pretty sad about losing Vossy. Not necessarily because I mourn his loss as a coach but its sad to see a legend of the club suffer this fate. Let's temper our criticism of his coaching and celebrate what he did for us.

Don't wanna feel like "Let's Roar Like 44" at a Fitzroy/Brisbane function in the future giving Michael a standing ovation knowing that in a public forum he's repeatedly bagged him.

If it's not Roos, an outside chance might be Eade.

The ultimate would be Clarkson though. Not sure they'd have pulled the trigger just yet in that case.

Yeh, I reckon they've got Roos already and they might just be making sure of it before anyone else can. Sounds familiar.

Roos to Brisbane you can lock it in Eddy. The only other job available is the Demons, but they only give coaches 30 games, doubt a contract with the Demons would be worth the paper its written on. Demons supporters are now getting their Karma - Mark Neeld will be pissing himself laughing.

Bit gutless to hide it in the Hird hoo-ha.

I started a thread a couple of months back, that coaches should surely do their coaching apprenticeship.

It appears to backfire royally if you walk in untried.

I'm pretty sad about losing Vossy. Not necessarily because I mourn his loss as a coach but its sad to see a legend of the club suffer this fate. Let's temper our criticism of his coaching and celebrate what he did for us.

Don't wanna feel like "Let's Roar Like 44" at a Fitzroy/Brisbane function in the future giving Michael a standing ovation knowing that in a public forum he's repeatedly bagged him.

I just think he's a horrible coach. To me he is the Brisbane Lions coach and the greatest player to ever play for the club, nothing more, nothing less. The latter is history, I'll never forget what he did as a player, no- one would, but at the moment he is/ was the coach of the Club I support, nothing else, and his coaching style and tactics have been shocking.

Yeah...

Voss took over a 10th place side and took them nowhere

Hird took over a bottom 4 side and has them in the bottom half of the 8

Buckley took over a back to back GF side and has them in the bottom half of the 8

You be the judge

Voss and Buckley aren't being charged with bringing the game into dispute .

Voss also didn't have the luxury of having any experience with premierships. Bucks was MM assistant, Hird had Bomber whispering in his ear.

Until Hird has been cleared of anything, it will always be Buckley and Voss miles ahead of Hird.

so if we don't get Roos , who else are you going back or just backstab :mad: :mad:

Dear me why the anger? It's just my opinion, and if they have pulled this off then congratulations to them. May surprise you but I havent been a big fan of the current board, but if they have achieved Roos, then that's a win. If Roos is there for the next 4 years without a finals appearance, I am sure I won't be the only one wanting another change.

What in the world? Finally starting to see improvement and now they turf him?

Who exactly is in charge up there???

A former NZ rugby club CEO, a chairman with some AFLQ pedigree, and a bunch of corporate blow ins.

The jumper, attacking the FFC, rolling over like bitches on 6 Melbourne games a year, now this. They are a ******* disgrace, and need to be shown the door.

This will present the first real opportunity to do just that, and I hope it's taken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Safe to say that these were everyones reactions?
tumblr_mm681qNocA1qfrw7to1_400.gif

kramer-surprised.gif

fresh_prince_amazed.gif

it's funny can you see both sets of supporters in 3 years time

If Brisbane are playing finals:
Voss backers - "It's all because of the foundations Voss laid"
Voss detractors - "It's all because we finally got a new coach"

If Brisbane aren't playing finals:
Voss backers - "It's all because this new guy can't coach and we should've stuck with Voss"
Voss detractors - "It's all because of the lack of foundations Voss laid"

Just seems peeps are making absolute calls like "Voss was rubbish" They will hopefully regret those calls and I hope they don't ever offer their hand to Michael at the many club functions he will be at in the future

Just seems peeps are making absolute calls like "Voss was rubbish" They will hopefully regret those calls and I hope they don't ever offer their hand to Michael at the many club functions he will be at in the future

Those people havent just jumped on in the last 2 hours and starting saying it, some have been saying it for years. Game plan, tactics, match ups etc etc is all crap, a good win every 8 weeks and a few consolation wins against the bottom 4 teams aint gonna get any coach anywhere. No coach in the history of the game has been offered a 6th year with a record as bad as Voss'.

Those people havent just jumped on in the last 2 hours and starting saying it, some have been saying it for years. Game plan, tactics, match ups etc etc is all crap, a good win every 8 weeks and a few consolation wins against the bottom 4 teams aint gonna get any coach anywhere. No coach in the history of the game has been offered a 6th year with a record as bad as Voss'.
The only AFL fans I have ever met who expect finals every year have all been under the age of 10 but I think you are much older than that which is not a good look for you. Richmond have made finals 3 times in the past 31 years, the poor Bulldogs fans haven't seen their team win a Grand Final in 60+ years. Unfortunately for you, your expectations to not match reality. You may label Lions posters on the Lions BigFooty board as people who accept mediocrity because we don't crack the shits when the team doesn't make finals each year but in reality, like the majority of AFL fans and fans of each individual club, we understand building a list takes time and it is not something that happens over night. You are probably the only one who thinks 10 wins in the 2nd year of a rebuild is woeful and embarrassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back