Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha. Correlation or causation?

In this case it's causation. Unlike many of Janus' stat dumps, our clearance differential with Ryder as sole ruck versus the Ryder/Lobbe partnership also passes the eye test.

Calling it now, if we leave Lobbe in the SANFL all year we'll go 25 and 0, guaranteed*

*not a guarantee, but we might make finals

Ryder isn't AFL standard. He's AFL elite. This was, what, his fourth game under match sim conditions?

Ryder could/should be the best ruckman in the game. Great leap, deft tap work, good follow up work, runs all day, can take a contested grab, knows how to kick a goal. Set for a big year if he can keep his body in good nick.

Ryder could/should be the best ruckman in the game. Great leap, deft tap work, good follow up work, runs all day, can take a contested grab, knows how to kick a goal. Set for a big year if he can keep his body in good nick.
Yep, looks to be building well for Sydney game!

Yeah who was that d***head that said he should be playing FWD.

Oh that's right it was me:oops:

The thing with Ryder is that he has had genuine success in every KP post on the ground!

But it's pretty clear that the ruck is where we need him. It's scary that it is 7 years ago now, but one of the best games from a ruckman I've ever seen was by him the 2009 Anzac Day (Zaharakis!) clash. Amazingly deft tapwork and followed up the footy with brutal tackling.

Yeah who was that d***head that said he should be playing FWD.

Oh that's right it was me:oops:

Your not alone on that one. But I wanted us to go hard to recruit a big ruckman, to free up paddy to spend more time forward. We didnt do the first part so he has to play ruck now.

My only minor concern is thst as the season wears on, the big rucks won't get any shorter, but he will get a bit sorer which may affect his leap.

The most frustrating thing about Ryder's ruck work for me is the number of times he basically disposes of his ruck opposition then taps to congestion. He could easily take the ball himself and take off or give off. He is that talented. Sure he can't do it every time but enough to create doubt. Take it on like SPP ;)

The midfield looks a hell of a lot better when you have a proper, AFL standard ruckman at your disposal!!
And a couple of hard as nails hungry young genuine mids free from mental scarring eager to forge their AFL careers & bond with their new teammates, we've been light on in that area for a while but adding SPP, Atley & Drew to the mix we nailed the draft.

He didn't say much but was great to hear what Powell Pepper said in his interview at the end of the game about getting to the club, putting his head down to work hard & make friends with all the boys we've got a real gem on our hands with that lad.

Ebert was good today at running onto Ryder's taps. Easy to forget how good he is from the centre square as compared to the wing.

I'd start round 1 with Ryder, Wines, Ebert and SPP to take it right up to Naismith, Parker, Kennedy and Hanneberry.
Let SPP loose at the first bounce and it's almost a certainty one of Kennedy, Hannebury or Parker will be down at the first contest. That kid takes no prisoners, see a bit of Voss in him as a player. My bet would be Hannebury, he always seems to go down in agony early then miraculously recovers.

Someone has to cut you some slack. ;)

I reckon Kevin Sheedy said during Paddy's early days at the bummers that he was recruited as a forward and he didn't like him risked in the ruck. :rolleyes:

Sheedy played him back a fair bit too. I recall he was considered as the prototype sort of player to try and stop the future of athletic freaks like Buddy. I reckon he would have still had a successful career path, but obviously the ruck is where he can use his influence to greatest effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardball gets win the clearances, win contested pssession, kick straight for goal - despite some shitty inside 50 kicks - win the game. Its a simple game.

Hardball gets win the clearances, win contested pssession, kick straight for goal - despite some shitty inside 50 kicks - win the game. Its a simple game.
I thought our mid field was good today never stopped and done the hard work. The Voss factor, certainly a big improvement on what we have seen of late.

Are we starting to see Voss' influence in the middle?

I wonder whether he had any influence on the drafting of SPP?

After years of being beaten up by bigger, stronger, harder midfields I felt like today was potentially a turning point.

Is Voss shaping us into midfield bully boys in his own mould?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thing is under Voss the skills have gone backwards completely, whether that is because of him or something else is unknown.

However we are a lot better defensively. Tackling is better, defensive pressure as a team is better, defensive setups are good.

We were also completely terrible in how we setup at midfield, it was like a complete Russian Roulette that depended on Lobbe (lol) winning the ruck. We've actually become a lot better ever since Trengove became a 1st ruck.

In this case it's causation. Unlike many of Janus' stat dumps, our clearance differential with Ryder as sole ruck versus the Ryder/Lobbe partnership also passes the eye test.

Calling it now, if we leave Lobbe in the SANFL all year we'll go 25 and 0, guaranteed*

*not a guarantee, but we might make finals

In light of recent events I'd like to remove the disclaimer from this post, 25 and 0 baby!

You just feel we're a goal a quarter better side with Ryder playing. 1 elite tap down a running midfielders throat and we're always a chance to get a clean goal.

I've never understood the Voss hate to be honest. Look at what he did with our midfield and an undersized part timer in Jacko in the ruck last year.

You just feel we're a goal a quarter better side with Ryder playing. 1 elite tap down a running midfielders throat and we're always a chance to get a clean goal.

I've never understood the Voss hate to be honest. Look at what he did with our midfield and an undersized part timer in Jacko in the ruck last year.

In comparison to the Sydney game last year we're a 4 goal per quarter better side! ;)

... I've never understood the Voss hate to be honest. Look at what he did with our midfield and an undersized part timer in Jacko in the ruck last year.
Peter Rohde left so someone had to take the blame. Personally I'm not convinced Alfie is up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back