Toast Michael Walters

Remove this Banner Ad

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Life membership coming this week for Sonny Walters. What can you say; a Freo champion. A bees dick away from being delisted after flattering to deceive for his first three or four seasons post being taken in the freo superdraft (a slider just quietly), he built to become an all time great Docker and one of the competitions premier players.

Well done Michael! :anchor::anchor::anchor:

Champ. My wife and daughter's favorite player. Hopefully has an extended run as a genuine small forward with our monster talls in the years to come..

One of our best ever. All clubs would probably love him on their list. Can't say that about everyone.

Admire and respect his professionalism on & off the field. Would have taken a lot of thinking on his part when he got sent away. Credit to him for coming back as good he has. His attitude was and is amazing. Great role model for not only the young indigenous kids coming through - but for everyone. DSL

I recall watching Sonny play in possibly the best game I've seen. The 2010 WAFL Grand Final. I remember thinking, this kid will go allright.

I also thought the same about Coniglio, but that's a story for another day.

Congratulations Sonny! Well done on the 150

Great player.

I know its a long shot from here but still hope he gets 100 goals in 2019.

35 goals

Needs 65 more

If he gets 10 R22 and 10 R23 we will probably win by 100 against the Dons and maybe 60 odd against Port. Provided Port win against North, of course and other results go our way we scrape in to 8th spot

The he'd be on 55

-- Bear with me --

We win the next 4 finals and he gets 10,10,10,15 - with the 15 coming in the grand final against West Coast (after knocking off Collingwood, Brisbane and Richmond on the way)

#2k19Sonny100

35 goals

Needs 65 more

If he gets 10 R22 and 10 R23 we will probably win by 100 against the Dons and maybe 60 odd against Port. Provided Port win against North, of course and other results go our way we scrape in to 8th spot

The he'd be on 55

-- Bear with me --

We win the next 4 finals and he gets 10,10,10,15 - with the 15 coming in the grand final against West Coast (after knocking off Collingwood, Brisbane and Richmond on the way)

#2k19Sonny100

View attachment 725743
subscribe

35 goals

Needs 65 more

The he'd be on 55

-- Bear with me --

#2k19Sonny100

View attachment 725743

35 goals

Needs 65 more

The he'd be on 55

-- Bear with me --

#2k19Sonny100

View attachment 725743
same page

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was on his way to being delisted under Harvey. Glad that didn't eventuate and full credit goes to Walters, he's the one that put in all the work to turn his career around.
I looked at him under Harvey. And thought this kid has talent.
Maybe it was Nic Nat that texted him, and he pulled his head in?

So, a bit of a brain dump bump for the off-season, but how good is Sonny Walters?

The guy is a bit of an enigma in the modern game of super tall, super athletic, young players. He’s all of 177cm and 76 kegs dripping wet, but still regularly makes a fool of defenders who are bigger, stronger and more physical. Not overly fast for a small forward, not known as a regular aerialist, but can take a hanger when the situation demands and has a deep bag of trick which means he kicks goals regularly. Those goals are either beautiful clutch set shots or opportunistic one-touch snaps that most would have no business getting away.

Taken at 53 in the 2008 draft, he has forged a career that most small forwards would only dream of. Currently he’s played 222 games and there’s no reason he couldn’t end up kicking 400 goals or more by the time his career is over. A feat that sadly only a few rare Freo players will achieve in their time given the scarcity of success and our occasional lack of forward supply.

He regularly shows up, regularly impacts games in a meaningful way and regularly puts his small frame on the line for the benefit of the team. Where other, considerably bigger units have come and gone from the forwardline (or the club generally) thanks to their bodies not standing up to the rigours of AFL, Walters simply carries on and gets it done to an exceptionally high standard.

But as a longstanding member of the club, for me, one of the best things about this guy is his leadership. Walters is a leader both as a Noongyar man and also as a player in general. The comments from our training watchers are consistent year in, year out: “Walters has come back in ripping nick, Walters is one of the most vocal out there, Walters is training the house down” etc. It’s a credit to him. But he does it all without arrogance, without big noting himself on the field or in the media.

He’s criminally underrated by the Vic-centric East Coast media and would likely be God-status if he played for one of the big four, but regardless I love the guy, love that he bleeds purple and really hope he gets the recognition he deserves from the club and the public when he eventually hits 250 games or any other big milestones in the future.

So, a bit of a brain dump bump for the off-season, but how good is Sonny Walters?

The guy is a bit of an enigma in the modern game of super tall, super athletic, young players. He’s all of 177cm and 76 kegs dripping wet, but still regularly makes a fool of defenders who are bigger, stronger and more physical. Not overly fast for a small forward, not known as a regular aerialist, but can take a hanger when the situation demands and has a deep bag of trick which means he kicks goals regularly. Those goals are either beautiful clutch set shots or opportunistic one-touch snaps that most would have no business getting away.

Taken at 53 in the 2008 draft, he has forged a career that most small forwards would only dream of. Currently he’s played 222 games and there’s no reason he couldn’t end up kicking 400 goals or more by the time his career is over. A feat that sadly only a few rare Freo players will achieve in their time given the scarcity of success and our occasional lack of forward supply.

He regularly shows up, regularly impacts games in a meaningful way and regularly puts his small frame on the line for the benefit of the team. Where other, considerably bigger units have come and gone from the forwardline (or the club generally) thanks to their bodies not standing up to the rigours of AFL, Walters simply carries on and gets it done to an exceptionally high standard.

But as a longstanding member of the club, for me, one of the best things about this guy is his leadership. Walters is a leader both as a Noongyar man and also as a player in general. The comments from our training watchers are consistent year in, year out: “Walters has come back in ripping nick, Walters is one of the most vocal out there, Walters is training the house down” etc. It’s a credit to him. But he does it all without arrogance, without big noting himself on the field or in the media.

He’s criminally underrated by the Vic-centric East Coast media and would likely be God-status if he played for one of the big four, but regardless I love the guy, love that he bleeds purple and really hope he gets the recognition he deserves from the club and the public when he eventually hits 250 games or any other big milestones in the future.
A very special player and bloody glad we have him but, rightly or wrongly, his reputation will be tarnished slightly by always staging for free kicks.

A very special player and bloody glad we have him but, rightly or wrongly, his reputation will be tarnished slightly by always staging for free kicks.
Yes, although the situation was the result of the AFL effectively rewarding players who could turn a ligit tackle into a high tackle by shrugging the shoulders or dropping the knees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back