Remove this Banner Ad

Funbeanman

All Australian
Feb 21, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's a big question needs to be asked

Is Michael Walters days are numbered???

I'm very worried about Walters decline over the last few years under J-Lo and I'm not sure if he'll ever recapture his best form, he was arguably our best and most important player a few years ago

Yeah I am convinced that his best football was lost as soon as Ross Lyon got sacked. Since then injuries have troubled him, but even more so he just lacks consistent impact no matter where on the field you try to play him. Longmuir knows that he cannot keep up playing midfield minutes and has been wise not to waste an important midfield position on him, which says quite a bit considering the loss of Cerra.

Honestly, if it wasn't for his clean standard skillset I'm not even sure he'd be getting games.

Tom Cruise What GIF

Probably needs to be asked on the freo board. But yeh he is clearly struggling, did have a good pre-season but was awful today. At some stage this season the axe will come.

There's a big question needs to be asked

I'm very worried about Walters decline over the last few years under J-Lo and I'm not sure if he'll ever recapture his best form, he was arguably our best and most important player a few years ago
That’s a question that is very hard to understand, let alone answer.

Walter’s is done though.

Really not that big a question, and a pretty clear answer.

Clearly he's done.

Just need the next tier to actually step up. It's been a long time of playing for frees only now. He's had some excellent years (2013, 15, 16) and even a borderline star one (2019) but he's well and truly past it.

He's a shadow of his former self unfortunately. I find him pretty infuriating to watch these days - at best he goes to ground at every contest, at worst, well you've all seen the ducking for frees.

Schultz and Switta are no superstars but they're both miles ahead of him at this stage. He's been a great servant of the club, but it's hard to see him adding much value going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is much better when he plays mid-forward than as a pure forward. Partly because as a forward he always has some who stays on him all day - they never zone off on Walters. As a mid-forward he gets a lot less close checking. He needs to find a way to get involved more for sure, because he is one of the best players to kick into the forward line at Freo.

Yeah I am convinced that his best football was lost as soon as Ross Lyon got sacked.
He is much better when he plays mid-forward than as a pure forward. Partly because as a forward he always has some who stays on him all day - they never zone off on Walters. As a mid-forward he gets a lot less close checking. He needs to find a way to get involved more for sure, because he is one of the best players to kick into the forward line at Freo.

Walters played well when he was playing the '17 era Dusty role where he just roamed around the forward / CHF area, never picked up his man and had his teams cover for him. this game for example Walters had 32 and kicked 5. AFL Tables - Fremantle v St Kilda - Sun, 2-Jul-2017 2:40 PM (4:40 PM) - Match Stats

the problem is that role doesn't really exist any more (even dusty is picking up his man) and Walters isn't the best to play it even if it did still exist.

I"m convinced if Ross had got the carlton job Walters would be playing for them tbh.

Would dominate at any other team. He set up multiple scores for freo with his inside 50 entries. He's not cooked at all, he's poorly coached, that's just commonsense.

Longmuir wants him to be a full time small forward, when in reality he's a forward/mid. Longmuir is prioritising Brayshaw and Serong (Cerra last year) in the middle, which makes sense, but he's absolutely wasting Walters now

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back