Analysis Michael Warner ranks Richmond’s top-20 players of the modern era, from 1987 to now

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not but he may have a more satisfying career in some ways.
In some ways yes. I wonder, when you have finished your career like Richo, or let's say Dangerfield who has played in less tragic circumstances, following Richmond through Richo's time and before, tragic is a reasonable description, would you be more content being recognised as a champion of the game who had a great career and other than a premiership medal will be remembered as one of the great players of his generation (okay I couldn't think of another player other than Dangerfield).
Or would you rather be remembered as a fair player who snagged a Premiership. Townsend for example. Surely it's Richo over Townsend.

Give me 22 bog average premiership players. Give me Short, Soldo, Kmac, Bellis, George, Towner's flags over one "All Australian". Some of these players are on their way to being triple premiership players. I'm a simpleton old fart, I vomit when I hear the term "All Australian" used in relation to AFL. If we were actually picking a team to play another country then fine. But we don't. AA is one BS metric. I haven't gotten over the 37 year drought. Two flags feels like we're half way there. Two more in Dimma's reign would be outstanding. Your disrespect of Short's achievement is incomprehensible to me, as is your dismissal of last year's flag. Are you bored of them already? FFS.
clapping.gif

Give me 22 bog average premiership players. Give me Short, Soldo, Kmac, Bellis, George, Towner's flags over one "All Australian". Some of these players are on their way to being triple premiership players. I'm a simpleton old fart, I vomit when I hear the term "All Australian" used in relation to AFL. If we were actually picking a team to play another country then fine. But we don't. AA is one BS metric. I haven't gotten over the 37 year drought. Two flags feels like we're half way there. Two more in Dimma's reign would be outstanding. Your disrespect of Short's achievement is incomprehensible to me, as is your dismissal of last year's flag. Are you bored of them already? FFS.
So you rate Brent Renouf a better ruckman than say Max Gawn, Grundy and Nic Nat? Premierships are the pinnacle of AFL, but not a good way to rate an individual.

Obviously you'd take 22 permiership players over 1 AA....22 players make up a TEAM :rolleyes:

IMHO, premierships should only come into play when comparing players of the same status.
Otherwise, Daryl Freame is a better player than Matthew Knights.

It elevates a Carey or Franklin over a Richo but it's all subjective.
in all due respect as much as i love richo my head says if i had the choice between the three id take Carey closely followed by Franklin in front of Richo.While a freak in his own way he really did have how to put it!!! a lot of chinks in his armour as well.

Hmm the one i like to bring up is Ted Hopkins a carlton premiership hero in 1970 and you would never find a more underwhelming player in your life.

Why is it we are comfortable calling it as it is about opposition premiership players but we can not do it with our own?

So so many players have a premiership medallion simply because they were at the right place at the right time under the right circumstances and this applies to our own as well.

Personally i have long been past the age and need to sugar coat everything. I really believe with younger supporters they only see one side of the coin. That coin usually has a tiger head on one side and a tiger tail on the other.

Lol way to ignore the fact that without the very good and elite players or in this case All Australians the above chumps are not going to win a thing.
The above fit into what we call role players who were in the right place at the right time and they all have such obvious and glaring deficiencies that id go as far to say they are lucky buggers.

So you rate Brent Renouf a better ruckman than say Max Gawn, Grundy and Nic Nat? Premierships are the pinnacle of AFL, but not a good way to rate an individual.

Obviously you'd take 22 permiership players over 1 AA....22 players make up a TEAM :rolleyes:
My original response was to your comment about being able to win the flag without Short. With 21 players? Starting to reek of arrogance there TT. On the grand final day I thought we had a few players who were quiet. But as long as we play each game on its merit, beat our opponent. I'm happy. As a mug supporter, I don't fully understand what every player is doing out on the ground. But I'll take the Grigg ruck strategy, the Kmac, Rioli, Butler sacrificial running, fwd handballs of the 2017, 2019 teams over a Richo or a Bowden's AA. My only interest is in the Richmond best team selection so I don't really care about Renouf vs Gawn. I do rate Ottens but Nank is in my team.

Lol way to ignore the fact that without the very good and elite players or in this case All Australians the above chumps are not going to win a thing.
The above fit into what we call role players who were in the right place at the right time and they all have such obvious and glaring deficiencies that id go as far to say they are lucky buggers.
Hahaha. The current AA team's record is shyte. Winless aren't they? My Premiership chumps team beat them. 14.9 vs 9.11.
Soldo & Nank were beaten in the ruck by Gawn & Grundy. Kmac tagged McRae Broad kept Hawkins goalless. Bolton, Rioli, Butler, George were too fast for Houli, Grimes, McGovern. Caddy kicked 7. as did George.

Last edited:

You know how it goes around here. That was a nonsense argument until we won a flag in '17 and then everything changed ;)
Blokes like Aaron Keating are a mere blip on the radar, but under the new logic have to be recognised as immortals of the game.
The Crows could not have won that flag without him!

Hoggy was a terrific player, but yeah he was shot by the time we traded him to Fitzroy. One of the great swindles, almost feel bad about it.
Poor bastard couldn't get a kick with them and they tried to turn him into a full back.

1. Dusty and richo equal first , love em both
3. Rance
4. Jack
5. Cotch
6. Knights
7. Lids
8. Edwards
9. Grimes
10. Bowden
11. Houli
12. Campbell
13. Vlastuin