MICHIE PICK 54

manpurple

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
He'll walk into that midfield mate. Nathan Jones is a gun. The rest are just kids or crap players. Vince isn't even overrated anymore, he's just lazy and nowhere near worth #23, very stupid decision by Melbourne.

Roosy will not tolerate slackers and so if he makes selection round one he is going into my SC team. He will give reasonable points for nothing on the price and I'll dump him for an upgrade later.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't forget Toupmas. The guy's going to be a gun. If Trengrove finally gets going they'll be good. Clark, Hogan and Dawes is a formidable list of talls.

What makes you think Toumpas will be a gun? Not saying you are wrong but I never saw anything that screamed out "gun" from him this year. I have a bad feeling its going to be another wasted top draft pick for the Dees.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
What makes you think Toumpas will be a gun? Not saying you are wrong but I never saw anything that screamed out "gun" from him this year. I have a bad feeling its going to be another wasted top draft pick for the Dees.

I watched a bit if him as a junior. He's a lot classier than we saw last year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Michie was much more than a 22 game player.

I saw this coming, not many guys get demoted to the rookie list and stay beyond another year, but it's still disappointing for the guy. There was some innuendo the club made Michie train and play when he complained of foot soreness before it became a bonafide year-out injury, and you could say that stunted his career entirely.

Still, I can remember the sunny day and then freezing night when I went down to watch us play in Geelong for the first time. I had a misplaced sense of optimism. I think we had about four big outs and a few minor ones, but I remember news filtering through that Lee Spurr was out crook and was going to be replaced by Michie. I also remember a bigfooty poster (who no longer posts here – and I don't think he ever realised it was me, despite my allusions to it online) asking me if Michie was in. I also thought Sherro's goal in that game was Viv's...

He still seems a pretty cool dude though, likes his art and he doesn't seem a typical footy flog. I can imagine him ending up a pretty normal dude who looks back on his prime days with intense saudade and pride – and, like so many who never even got there, after a few beers, a sense of "I coulda made it...."

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Based on this thread I was trying to find what we did with pick 54. From what I can see it dropped to 55 after a FA compensation and then we traded it for Scott Gumbleton. So a bust for both clubs.

Grey was drafted with pick 58...

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I watched a bit if him as a junior. He's a lot classier than we saw last year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
a lot has happened in 3 years. Toumpas is at port now. Toumpas will either be a dud or a servicable 150 game player.

Still, I can remember the sunny day and then freezing night when I went down to watch us play in Geelong for the first time. I had a misplaced sense of optimism. I think we had about four big outs and a few minor ones, but I remember news filtering through that Lee Spurr was out crook and was going to be replaced by Michie. I also remember a bigfooty poster (who no longer posts here – and I don't think he ever realised it was me, despite my allusions to it online) asking me if Michie was in. I also thought Sherro's goal in that game was Viv's...
Went to that game too mate, had a similarly misplaced optimism we had a decent chance. It was absolutely Arctic at the Cattery and yeah I think not only did we have a few late outs but I reckon Johnson went down about 5-10 mins in as well. Remember Walters trying to keep us in it but that was about it. Michie was the sub and came in pretty late in the game for 13 touches, handful of tackles, thought we'd found one.

Thought he was a bit stiff when we moved him on (suppose he was in a similar boat to Menegola, Ballard etc) but he just never went on with it at the Dees.

Looking back now after this year's trade period we punted him for an absolute steal at #54 when B&F/4 time premiership/former captains are going for pick #88 and former NAB rising stars are going for pick #135!!! :eek:

All the best Viv, not ashamed to admit I was a Michie fanboy. :rainbow:

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Makes our trading of Shane Kersten, who was drafted higher than Michie and is not injury prone, for pick 63 look like an absolute steal. Michie for 54 was a good deal for us in hindsight but he did play a few games for Melbourne.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Also Michie suffered the same fate as Meengola and Ballard... Freo had their set of inside mids in Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Neale and Suban.

So yeah Mitchie was up against it. Had he been 18 years old this year, he would of got a few games.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't really think that's an excuse.

You can't keep playing the same four players every single week for four years and not win a flag, and expect to improve.

It is a joke that between those three, we saw about 70% of a game between them. They're all now 23, 24, and a decent age. I still think they are all superior players with more natural nous than the reactive ball-watchers and list-cloggers that are Crozier and Sheridan – two utterly forgettable, pointless players who do not succeed in any position but somehow won favour with Ross and got the gig.

Michie was drafted as more of a half forward from memory, and at 6'1 he was about Mayne's height, correct? You still wonder what-if and why-not.

Some of the stupid arguments Ross gave for not giving these guys a go is completely beyond me. No player will ever be perfect. He simply found small reasons to not play them, despite the fact they were quite clearly doing more good than bad – and for extended periods. I understand Menegola wasn't a great player in the WAFL for us but he did well for Subi and has performed acceptably for a Geelong side with a pretty decent middle section.

Lyon just has his little favourites, it's been evident for a while. Until he's gone we'll see the same old s**t. Brady Grey is a current example of this... has done acceptably in the few chances he got, and how can you judge a kid after three games in a s**t team? Now the bloke's looking down the barrel of his career being cooked.

It's lucky our backline was decimated a few years ago and Alex Pearce was the last man standing. I shudder to think of his fate had that of not happened.

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't really think that's an excuse.

You can't keep playing the same four players every single week for four years and not win a flag, and expect to improve.

It is a joke that between those three, we saw about 70% of a game between them. They're all now 23, 24, and a decent age. I still think they are all superior players with more natural nous than the reactive ball-watchers and list-cloggers that are Crozier and Sheridan – two utterly forgettable, pointless players who do not succeed in any position but somehow won favour with Ross and got the gig.

Michie was drafted as more of a half forward from memory, and at 6'1 he was about Mayne's height, correct? You still wonder what-if and why-not.

Some of the stupid arguments Ross gave for not giving these guys a go is completely beyond me. No player will ever be perfect. He simply found small reasons to not play them, despite the fact they were quite clearly doing more good than bad – and for extended periods. I understand Menegola wasn't a great player in the WAFL for us but he did well for Subi and has performed acceptably for a Geelong side with a pretty decent middle section.

Lyon just has his little favourites, it's been evident for a while. Until he's gone we'll see the same old s**t. Brady Grey is a current example of this... has done acceptably in the few chances he got, and how can you judge a kid after three games in a s**t team? Now the bloke's looking down the barrel of his career being cooked.

It's lucky our backline was decimated a few years ago and Alex Pearce was the last man standing. I shudder to think of his fate had that of not happened.

You really like to sling s**t don't you.

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
You're happy seeing a decent player go well at Geelong? Could fit in alright at Freo right about now...

Going well is a bit extreme, he did well in a dominate team. Didn't seem to do much when Geelong needed more players to step up against Sydney. But as far as six game careers go he looks ok. As it stands Crozier and Sheridan have had better careers and any team in the league would take either one of them over Mengola any day of the week and twice on Sunday. You can say the same for Viv Michie as well.

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Going well is a bit extreme, he did well in a dominate team. Didn't seem to do much when Geelong needed more players to step up against Sydney. But as far as six game careers go he looks ok. As it stands Crozier and Sheridan have had better careers and any team in the league would take either one of them over Mengola any day of the week and twice on Sunday. You can say the same for Viv Michie as well.
'Going well is a bit extreme, but he is going well...'

Is this a troll post or what? I never staked claim he was amazing or it was an embarrassment we let him go. But we were once a dominant team when he was on our list, and our midfield wasn't much different to Geelong's in terms of ability. How he wasn't given a few matches was negligence by the club. He's been good enough to get a few games and perform at a good standard in the chances he's gotten. I don't think it's a wild theory to say that, perhaps, if he was given a game over the few chumps we had in the midfield in 2013-2014, maybe he would have gone okay and made us a better team.

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
'Going well is a bit extreme, but he is going well...'

Is this a troll post or what? I never staked claim he was amazing or it was an embarrassment we let him go. But we were once a dominant team when he was on our list, and our midfield wasn't much different to Geelong's in terms of ability. How he wasn't given a few matches was negligence by the club. He's been good enough to get a few games and perform at a good standard in the chances he's gotten. I don't think it's a wild theory to say that, perhaps, if he was given a game over the few chumps we had in the midfield in 2013-2014, maybe he would have gone okay and made us a better team.

I meant in the overall sense. If you looked at one or two games in isolation you can say he has done well. But overall he has just been ok. It is a wild theory because nothing he did in the three years suggested he would be better then anyone else playing. Hawthorne the most dominate team of the decade didn't give him a game and delisted him after even less time. And hell I doubt he would have gotten a game at Geelong if their midfield depth (for a top 8 side) wasn't so thin outside of Dangerwood.

And look at the teams he did well agaisnt: Melbourne, Brisbane, Essendon and Western Bulldogs when they were decimated by injury.

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The main point is, Ross Lyon has been to inflexible and too s**t scared to alter the status quo. Is it favouritism? Is it tunnel vision? Is he too focused on stupid 'role players' and not just looking at the merits of someone who's been playing good footy? Viv was dominating the WAFL in a bad team and before that was injured a lot. I understand he debuted in a Grand Final year but even the Hawks et al give young blokes 2-3 games in Grand Final winning sides – if nothing more than to rest a regular, shake up the team, and see what happens.

Viv should have played about 10 games for Freo, Ballard only getting a game in a glorified scratchy in ******* Adelaide and at the very last minute was an absolute insult. If Ballard never got that game he'd have a right to hate Ross Lyon and be a little heartbroken.

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
The main point is, Ross Lyon has been to inflexible and too s**t scared to alter the status quo. Is it favouritism? Is it tunnel vision? Is he too focused on stupid 'role players' and not just looking at the merits of someone who's been playing good footy? Viv was dominating the WAFL in a bad team and before that was injured a lot. I understand he debuted in a Grand Final year but even the Hawks et al give young blokes 2-3 games in Grand Final winning sides – if nothing more than to rest a regular, shake up the team, and see what happens.

Viv should have played about 10 games for Freo, Ballard only getting a game in a glorified scratchy in ******* Adelaide and at the very last minute was an absolute insult. If Ballard never got that game he'd have a right to hate Ross Lyon and be a little heartbroken.

Last year when Freo finished minor premiers Langdon and Weller both got a few games. And Blakely would have gotten more then the port game if he wasn't injured in an inopportune time. The year before Apeness managed to snag a couple games despite being injured a lot. And as for Alex Pearce well the fact is he was a key defender trying to break into what was the most dominate defence in the league, of course he was going to struggle to get a game in his first season of AFL. I think you are just being childish. Rookies and low draft picks get delisted all the time without getting a game. This isn't a Ross thing at all. Viv may have gotten more of a chance but it's not like Freo delisted him. They traded him to Melbourne who at the time were one of the worst teams in the league and he continued to struggle to get games. Maybe you should consider that you are wrong and that maybe he just wasn't as good as you remember him being.

Back