Mick/Crowe- FB!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bring Back Roo Ruckle
Today- altho a good win (even if St Kilda had alot of senior players missing) we now have an injured Mick:( Yep- thats right- he's done a hammy again:( Now we have to find a replacement for him- we know he wont be in many games this year- this hammy he done today is a sign of whats to come...

The guy who is probably the only chance of becoming our next fullback is Crowe........young he is.

190cm,90kg's- not bad for an 18 year old. He has the height- Mick did- and he's 190cm..
Yes Crowe is basically ready to start getting much needed experience- the elder who he was probably drafted to take over from is finishing his career (at least injuries are) so Crowe will now need to stand tall......... and take that step that every youngster must make- they have to cement a spot in there team.

Crowe - I think should be able to make it.. he doesnt need to bulk- 90kg's is fine as far as I'm concerned- it leaves him able to be more agile/quick then Mick was.. not a bad thing- yet he will still be strong enough to go one on one with an opponent...... he could put on 2/3 kgs- but they arent really needed!

I think he will make his senior debut in rd1 against Port- because of Mick's hamstring... unless McCartney or Watt get the job- but Watt hasnt even been on the interchange yet- let alone in the team- and I think Pagan likes having a 3rd tall up forward (McCartney) and McCartney probably likes it to.. or he will return to CHB- to give the backline some key position experience.. but otherwise I think its going to be Crowe and Baird getting the key positions in rd.1 against port......

Baird has shown his talent- he has basically stepped up(in his *3* matches with the Roos), all he needs to do is put on some bulk- his lack of bulk showed against Tarrant..

And now Crowe must prove himself...... he has to- what else can we do- Watt wont make it as a fullback... Bourke is useless(basically),Baird is a CHB, Foott is a slow developing project as far as I know (meaning he wont get a go this year) who else are we gonna put there?

So Crowe it is- hopefully he can step up quickly and really show something... make no.24 famous Crowe- make it famous..
If he can stop as many goals as possible and provide a bit of run in the backline- I think that'll be great!

Baird is quite quick isnt he?

So now a backline for Rd 1?? Who do u think will be at CHB? McCartney or Baird? Do u think Crowe will be the FB?

Do u think Crowe will be a good FB for us in the future?

GO Roos
Name a backline for rd.1.. using who u think will fill what position!

• Banned
Ooh- I forgot- there is also Petrie- who ha been played in the backline in the Wizard Cup..

That would leave Burton the no.2 ruck possie..?!

Go Roos

It's a big ask for a first year rookie to take over the number 1 full back position. You're right, young Crowe does show a lot of potential, but judging on how Pagan uses his young players, it is highly unlikely that he would throw him into the deep end in the first game.

I'd expect him to play most of the year with the Muzzas, with hopefully a game or two in the latter part of the season. Then he'll have a huge pre-season in 2003 and take over from Mick then. ;)

• Banned
Yeah- but meanwhile- who will take fullback position when Mick's injured?????????

2/3 games in the latter part of the season aint gonna help Croe much next year when he will have to take over from Mick (I assuime it will be him)

Go Roos

• Banned
Yeah- Crowe will probably get 18games - either in fb position or on a flank- he needs the experience- and hopefully he can step up! Or else we will be in huge trouble next year.. with no Mick- hopefully Mick can teach him as much as possible this year- and work alot with him next year!

Go Roos

Originally posted by tashibatts
Yeah- Crowe will probably get 18games - either in fb position or on a flank- he needs the experience- and hopefully he can step up! Or else we will be in huge trouble next year.. with no Mick- hopefully Mick can teach him as much as possible this year- and work alot with him next year!

I have about the same chance as getting 18 games as Crowe does

Read this now Tashi - Crowe will NOT play in round 1!!!

Who will be our fullback??

McCartney
Archer
Watt
Baird

I hear Crowe looked nervous on Saturday against St. Kilda, imagine how the kid would be walking down to full back in his first senior game lining up on someone like Tredrea, it's not going to happen

Crowe will hopefully get about 8-12 games, much like Jones, Harris and Petrie last year and I doubt he will play at Fullback in many of them

jm#5 to fullback with arch beside him for the confidence and reassurance that having arch next to you would bring. i guess it may also depend upon whether or not colbert is fit enough to play.

• Banned
Originally posted by McCartney5

I have about the same chance as getting 18 games as Crowe does

Read this now Tashi - Crowe will NOT play in round 1!!!

Who will be our fullback??

McCartney
Archer
Watt
Baird

I hear Crowe looked nervous on Saturday against St. Kilda, imagine how the kid would be walking down to full back in his first senior game lining up on someone like Tredrea, it's not going to happen

Crowe will hopefully get about 8-12 games, much like Jones, Harris and Petrie last year and I doubt he will play at Fullback in many of them

Sorry McCartney5- I know I am frustrating..
It will be McCartney!
Go Roos

Originally posted by tashibatts

Sorry McCartney5- I know I am frustrating..
It will be McCartney!
Go Roos

No it's ok Tashi

I just hope you realise that it takes ages sometimes for young players to develope, Crowe may not even get a game this year, I wouldn't be that dissapointed if he only plays a few games, lets wait and see how he goes with the Reserves first

I hope you are right though :)

No it's ok Tashi

I just hope you realise that it takes ages sometimes for young players to develope, Crowe may not even get a game this year, I wouldn't be that dissapointed if he only plays a few games, lets wait and see how he goes with the Reserves first

I hope you are right though :)

You're softening to the youngsters in your old age!

IMO, Crowe is a lot closer to playing than what most people think.

With the McKernan/Porter trade we have gained a surplus in ruckman but a shortage in key position players.

Even if Baird plays every game he is only (indirectly) making up for the loss of McKernan.

Watt was required to play 14 games last year, and Crowe has already moved ahead of him.

So either Mick is going to remain fully fit for the rest of the season
or
one of Watt, Lange, Petrie, Morrell or Crowe will take his spot.

My money is on Crowe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you think he is ready to take on the full back role??

Depends on the opponent, but most likey Crowey will start in the pocket with spells on the bench.

Ben Hart was 17 whe he started playing at full back.

Martyn still No.1 pick
By DARYL TIMMS 11mar02
HE may be old and injured, but Kangaroo veteran Mick Martyn remains the club's No. 1 choice for full-back.

Martyn, told to retire at the end of last season, suffered another hamstring injury in a practice match against St Kilda on Saturday. He is expected to be sidelined for the mandatory 21 days.
But he is hoping scans tomorrow will reveal the hamstring is not torn and he will be available for the opening round against Port Adelaide.

"But no one has worked harder than Mick Martyn to get himself fit," Pagan said last night.

"It's a shame for him and I really feel sorry for Mick that it has happened, but it could have been worse. It could have been a knee. But the full-back position is still his because no one has been able to take it from him.

"No one, the younger players, have come along to take it."

Pagan said he was hoping Martyn could make a successful return because he gave the side balance.

Roos Wayne Carey (hip) and Shannon Grant (shin) should be available for Saturday's practice match against West Coast in Perth.

Very interesting.

You guys are being very harsh on Shannon Watt. He had a shoulder reco very late last year. He'll be the man, dont you worry!!

i can only recall one game where shannon watt looked likely. a game against the bulldogs at colonial.

is adam lange too slow for the job?

that's optomistic, i think this'll be the last year for mick, and one of the young guns will take his spot later on this year depending on whether he keeps getting injured...i'd say crowe would probably get it but i wouldn't count out foott either...not that i've seen him play

i think this will be the beginning of the changing of the guard for our club, already we're starting to replace our "old hands" with new blood, and with harro and robbins and shagga, three in and unders i think we could seriously give people a run for their money. petrie will move up definately next year, he may play a few more games this year, but things are changing....i don't think anything will happen of lange or watt they seem to have gotten stagnant in our list...

Well its not like they have had a chacne to put there hand up- they ahve been in the reser es and what not?!

Ok- so they could play well in the reserves to get into the snr list- but if they dont -we will never find someone to fill Mick's spot- because they wont have been tried in the snrs backline- will they? To put there hand up they need to have a chance.. its like asking someone to stand on 2 feet when they only have 1. Someone with 1 foot hasnt got a chance of standing on 2 feet- because they only have one. They would need to be given another leg to have a chance to stand on 2 feet- if u get what I am tryin to say!

Go Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back