Toast Mick Malthouse into the HOF

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Our most successful coach, Mick Malthouse has been inducted into the Hall of Fame tonight.

Mick had a long and varied career across a number of clubs but he became a coaching master at the Eagles and lead the club to it’s first 2 Flags.

He absolutely played a major role in cementing our great clubs identity and was a huge figure in our greatest era.

Here’s to you Mick!

20029329069947b563a5239028817cc1.jpg

Thanks for salting the earth before you pissed off, a-hole. Never forget.

That’s a ridiculously narrow minded assessment of his time at the Eagles.

We missed the finals for 2 years after he left. His last 5 years in charge were ‘lean’ by his lofty standards but he also introduced a host of young talent into the team - Cousins, Wirrpanda, Matera, Braun, Morrison, Embley, Gardiner and more.

The great things Mick did at the Eagles far out weigh the aftermath of his reign.

That’s like saying Leigh Matthews ‘salted the earth’ when he left Brisbane..

That’s a ridiculously narrow minded assessment of his time at the Eagles.

We missed the finals for 2 years after he left. His last 5 years in charge were ‘lean’ by his lofty standards but he also introduced a host of young talent into the team - Cousins, Wirrpanda, Matera, Braun, Morrison, Embley, Gardiner and more.

The great things Mick did at the Eagles far out weigh the aftermath of his reign.

That's why his colleagues at the club all went out of their way to see him off...

They know what he did. So does he. Take the rose-coloured glasses off.

Jesus, it’s no wonder people criticise our fans.

You’d never catch the Freo board slagging off a two-time Premiership coach.

Full credit to Freo fans, I cannot recall any slagging off one of their premiership coaches.

I just.. what?!

Madhouse was a hard man and by all accounts a bit of a prick, but that is exactly why he belongs in the HOF.

Probably more than anyone else ever associated with west coast, he instilled the ruthless, tough minded, demand success and win at all costs attitude which has come to dominate our club culture and which has led to such sustained success. He instilled that attitude in people like woosh, jakovich and matera, who passed it on to the likes of Cousins Judd, Cox and Kerr,who handed the torch to the current crop of senior players. It was really Mick who started that culture, I think in many ways he is the most important person in the club's history. If he had been a Neesham or a Drum, our clubs history would be totally different and I can guarantee you there wouldn't be 4 cups sitting in the trophy cabinet- maybe there would be none.

Would Simmo over take Mick if we were to go back to back?

-Club has never gone b2b
- The current talent is no where near as strong as what mick had
- Simmo winning a premiership 4 years into his coaching career
- Simmo building the side from the ground up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1559659343077.png
Someone has a sense of humour sitting Mick next to Brad Hardie.
Well done to both of them.
Brad rips his coat off just after pick taken.
EDIT.sorry, see that has already been crossed on another thread.
Hardie took his jumper off after Mick dragged him playing for Footscray. IIRC
Mick not happy that he was playing back pocket but not being accountable for his opponent...just doing Brad things.

Last edited:
Would Simmo over take Mick if we were to go back to back?

IMHO yes.

* First coach to go B2B
* Equal most Premierships under a single coach
* At least equal-most Grand Final appearances under a single coach

If we dont go B2B but win another flag under his tenure then he will go equal with Mick.

I just.. what?!

Madhouse was a hard man and by all accounts a bit of a prick, but that is exactly why he belongs in the HOF.

Probably more than anyone else ever associated with west coast, he instilled the ruthless, tough minded, demand success and win at all costs attitude which has come to dominate our club culture and which has led to such sustained success. He instilled that attitude in people like woosh, jakovich and matera, who passed it on to the likes of Cousins Judd, Cox and Kerr,who handed the torch to the current crop of senior players. It was really Mick who started that culture, I think in many ways he is the most important person in the club's history. If he had been a Neesham or a Drum, our clubs history would be totally different and I can guarantee you there wouldn't be 4 cups sitting in the trophy cabinet- maybe there would be none.
And nearly all lost during 08-10. Couldn't agree more with the above sentiment.

The three best players he coached?
In no order, Glen Jakovich, Doug Hawkins and Dane Swan.
I look at it as the best players when I was coaching [and not necessarily across their careers]. There's a lot of others: Buckley, Paul Licuria, James Clement, Dale Thomas, Anthony Rocca, Peter Matera, Dean Kemp, Chris Mainwaring, Guy McKenna, Peter Sumich, Chris Judd. People will say, 'Why don't you have Buckley first, and he won a Brownlow?', but he did his hamstring so I didn't have a lot of him [at his best].

Contrary to what people want to say, I didn't leave Nathan Buckley high and dry at all. The idea was to have a coaches' director, but he didn't want me in the box, he didn't want me on the bench and he didn't want me talking to his coaches. So it's very hard to be coaching director if you can't have access to the coaches. I thought if that's the way he wants it – it was contrary to what we'd agreed to – I respect the coach and what he wants to do. You don't want to be encumbered by something you don't want, so it was best for me to leave.

Found Malthouse's digs at Buckley pretty great

Found Malthouse's digs at Buckley pretty great

He got shafted by Collingwood and Eddie’s blind faith in Buckley (for better or worse).

Ended up being a bitter divorce but if what he says is true and the ‘deal’ literately completely changed when it came time to put it in action then he’s within his rights to step away.

Probably better he did anyway if Buckley didn’t want him speaking to coaches, or in the box etc. Just needed to make it a clear break like Roos-Longmire (and later Roos-Goodwin).

Shame it ended up getting ugly though - couple of hard heads going at it there with Eddie in the mix too.

He got shafted by Collingwood and Eddie’s blind faith in Buckley (for better or worse).

Ended up being a bitter divorce but if what he says is true and the ‘deal’ literately completely changed when it came time to put it in action then he’s within his rights to step away.

Probably better he did anyway if Buckley didn’t want him speaking to coaches, or in the box etc. Just needed to make it a clear break like Roos-Longmire (and later Roos-Goodwin).

Shame it ended up getting ugly though - couple of hard heads going at it there with Eddie in the mix too.

Oh for sure. Panic stations were in full steam at Collingwood once North pretty much offered Bucks the coaching gig that Brad Scott got

How did Malthouse salt the earth anyway? Our recruiting in the mid to late 90s left a bit to be desired but IIRC 7 of the 2006 GF 22 were on the list before Judge or Worsfold arrived. Is there more to it than Malthouse not leaving the list in amazing shape on his way out? My biggest criticism of him is that he does tend to let off field issues fester. Both WC and Collingwood have had players get into mischief off field that were seemingly given free rein under Malthouse then clamped down on by the next guy(s).

I mean he's still a 2 time premiership coach who led us to finals 10 years in a row. Also coached a the Dogs to a positive W-L record overall in the 80s (not easy to do given the big clubs just bought all the star players each year) and took Collingwood to 4 GFs and a flag. Surprised he wasn't in the HOF already given he coached more games than anyone in VFL/AFL history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back