Mick Martyn - The Best Fullback of all time? (Ricky Nixon thinks so)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahhh Ricky Nixon.

The bloke turned up to Etihad on day one of trade week this year on the premise of offering his advice to clubs.
Then asked to leave five minutes later by security as he was laughed off.

You have to question anyone who takes this guy seriously.

I always liked martins style of play. He was very robust and with archer they intimidated and outmuscled teams. As an RFC supporter I was quite envious of them at the time. There was a bit of RFC 60s 70s about their approach to winning by whatever means.
Was great watching him and Richo wrestle back in the 90's.

You would have loved to have M. Martyn in your back line back then, guy was a solid defender.

Hmmm, I am sceptical. No finals since 06, I'd be happy just playing finals at this point, I think all the previous premiers have come from a background of regular finals appearances.
Must admit I was only hoping for a finals win this year , still in a bit of shock.how it all turned out, interesting times with the equalisation measures starting to work it seems.

Ahhh Ricky Nixon.

The bloke turned up to Etihad on day one of trade week this year on the premise of offering his advice to clubs.
Then asked to leave five minutes later by security as he was laughed off.

You have to question anyone who takes this guy seriously.

I'd love to know his thoughts beforehand. "Just rock up on the day. Youre Ricky the mother******* chicken Nixon. I banged a girl more than half my age once. Of course they'll want my insight. Im a straight up genius. Just rock up. Im such a legend. Wonder if there'll be any school excursions on the day. Nevermind that. I can chase tail afterwards. Just need a quick bump then a quick bump (* im a funny campaigner) then I'll do it.".

Must admit I was only hoping for a finals win this year , still in a bit of shock.how it all turned out, interesting times with the equalisation measures starting to work it seems.
The fact is, GWS and GC just haven't come on. As expected, everything has levelled out now that the draft concessions have gone by. 6 years in and the WB and Richmond have won flags when GWS should he hitting their straps. They might peak next year, but I think other sides are catching up. Melbourne one of those sides looking at a talent v talent argument.

Gold Coast will be lucky to exist in 2-3 years if Dew fails. I think GWS are now well and truly on their own, so best to make hay whilst the sun shines, because if they don't make a GF next year, we could see more of an exodus.

The fact is, GWS and GC just haven't come on. As expected, everything has levelled out now that the draft concessions have gone by. 6 years in and the WB and Richmond have won flags when GWS should he hitting their straps. They might peak next year, but I think other sides are catching up. Melbourne one of those sides looking at a talent v talent argument.

Gold Coast will be lucky to exist in 2-3 years if Dew fails. I think GWS are now well and truly on their own, so best to make hay whilst the sun shines, because if they don't make a GF next year, we could see more of an exodus.

Do not think GWS are in trouble, however the concession period is over and now they are aligned with salary cap they have to manage their list as well as everyone else going forward. Right now they still have best list but if mismanage like Gold Coast did possible to go pear shaped. But I still think for next 4 to 5 years they very much in premiership window. If they had Jeremy Cameron, Mumford, Dev Smith and Shiel playing in the last two weeks of finals they probably have their 1st flag in the bag but as we know, even when you got a strong list you also got to have a decent run of injuries at the right time and some years that just does not happen, no matter how good a list you have.

Do not think GWS are in trouble, however the concession period is over and now they are aligned with salary cap they have to manage their list as well as everyone else going forward. Right now they still have best list but if mismanage like Gold Coast did possible to go pear shaped. But I still think for next 4 to 5 years they very much in premiership window. If they had Jeremy Cameron, Mumford, Dev Smith and Shiel playing in the last two weeks of finals they probably have their 1st flag in the bag but as we know, even when you got a strong list you also got to have a decent run of injuries at the right time and some years that just does not happen, no matter how good a list you have.
I wouldn't say they're in trouble, but they're coming back to the pack pretty quickly.

I wouldn't say they're in trouble, but they're coming back to the pack pretty quickly.

SOS was a smart man, knowing part of plan to get our list closer to the likes of the strong list he knew Giants had was pull a few from there going out of contract like talented youth of Plowman, Marchbank, Pickett and Kennedy for unders by being out of contract and needing to fit within cap. But also Dev Smith not fitting in after Josh Kelly got all the salary cap room has helped too. But I think this is last off season us other clubs could get a few talented guys on the cheap side. In essence Giants become weaker but they needed to become weaker to fit within the cap. Even they knew that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick was a great hard at it full back, as was Moore, Southby and the likes, but Dench was in a league of his own.
For people to mention Rance in the same breath is laughable hovering on delusional.

He was a good player but saying best ever is taking a giant leap.
Agree. But looking at it neutrally, Martyn was the last line of defence in a side that dominated the nineties and won two flags. You don't play 300 games and get the best forward each week, as well as playing in two flags if you're no good.

Best ever? A stretch. One of the best of the nineties? Absolutely. The guy could play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back