Mid Gippy 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the results today, the Alberton clubs may be closer together on skill than I realise. Probably had some weird results already, but it'll be interesting how the games go next week.

The next 2 rounds a very Alberton v Mid Gippy affair, should give everyone a decent feel to where they stand in the pecking line.
Boolarra v Thorpdale the pick of next weeks epics.

The next 2 rounds a very Alberton v Mid Gippy affair, should give everyone a decent feel to where they stand in the pecking line.
Boolarra v Thorpdale the pick of next weeks epics.

I wouldn't be considering anything involving boolarra or thorpy an epic, neither team will be challenging for finals.

I wouldn't be considering anything involving boolarra or thorpy an epic, neither team will be challenging for finals.

Thorpy haven't been disgraced yet and boolarra has copped a pair of floggings, might be the blues best chance of singing the sing in a while.

Former Mirboo Nth Premiership player Peter Edney passed away this week. Ben Cunnington , Kangeroo star is his grandson.
Condolences to all family members.

I was off the mark with mid gippy results, some reasonably close games.
Leo Nash saved Mirboo Nth's arse again.
Boolarra v Thorpdale score wise was EPICAL.
Couple of good results for Alberton Clubs, hope the closeness continues.

The Round 13 clash between Mirboo North and Foster is getting better by the round. Fish Creek v Foster next Saturday will determine who the best Alberton team is.

I don't know if it's a Final 6 or a Final 8 system. If Final 6, the last finals spots will be fought by Morwell East, Yinnar and MDU. If Final 8, it'll be Thorpdale, Toora and Tarwin.

Early days, just getting a clear view of how good clubs have been in these early days.

Hope they continue with final 5. Seems like there will be a fair gap between top and bottom halves.
Good thing is the bottom half teams will have chances to win a few against each other.

League slowly growing in every way.

Will take time to establish rivalries but going my Mirboo North Saturday you couldn't move it was that packed.

Always going to be a gulf in little tiny towns vs the powerhouse huge towns. But some of those minnows have won multiple premierships in the last 25 years.

Amazing how some people got everything wrong in regards to this merger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

League slowly growing in every way.

Will take time to establish rivalries but going my Mirboo North Saturday you couldn't move it was that packed.

Always going to be a gulf in little tiny towns vs the powerhouse huge towns. But some of those minnows have won multiple premierships in the last 25 years.

Amazing how some people got everything wrong in regards to this merger.
I think its only the novelty of a few new teams keeping it going. Only 6 of 13 teams have juniors & some of them struggling too. Many teams struggling for reserves as well. With such a lack of players under the senior teams it will soon become a chequebook league & teams will be culled & eventually the whole thing will fall over

I think its only the novelty of a few new teams keeping it going. Only 6 of 13 teams have juniors & some of them struggling too. Many teams struggling for reserves as well. With such a lack of players under the senior teams it will soon become a chequebook league & teams will be culled & eventually the whole thing will fall over
Country footy and footy as a whole under massive pressure .... This league no different to other leagues.

Looking at the ladder, funny to think Toora would be 5th right now if they had held on against Fishy. Considering their coach was the only one downplaying their chances of finals in the Round 1 Follower Spectator.

Here's a question. With the games being cancelled instead of postponed this week (That's what was said on local TV) what will that mean in the long run since that'll mean Hill End will have an extra game since they weren't playing this week anyway?

Not to mention that none of the games this week have a return fixture meaning Hill End will also be the only team to play every other team in the H&A season (at this stage at least). Great for Newborough, Thorpdale and Tarwin since they would've played Fishy, Foster and Mirboo North, but the remaining 9 all would've had a chance to secure an important win, Stony v Boolarra, Toora v Morwell East and MDU v Yinnar being used to shape the ladder.

Here's a question. With the games being cancelled instead of postponed this week (That's what was said on local TV) what will that mean in the long run since that'll mean Hill End will have an extra game since they weren't playing this week anyway?

Not to mention that none of the games this week have a return fixture meaning Hill End will also be the only team to play every other team in the H&A season (at this stage at least). Great for Newborough, Thorpdale and Tarwin since they would've played Fishy, Foster and Mirboo North, but the remaining 9 all would've had a chance to secure an important win, Stony v Boolarra, Toora v Morwell East and MDU v Yinnar being used to shape the ladder.
Could well effect that 6th spot.

Alright, if footy returns this week, the fixture will restart at Round 11, with Rounds 8 through 10 pushed back to after Round 13, Rounds 14 through 17 being cancelled and everyone playing everyone once in that format.

So it goes 11, 12, 13, 8, 9, 10, Finals with the rounds being renumbered to be in order

Alright, if footy returns this week, the fixture will restart at Round 11, with Rounds 8 through 10 pushed back to after Round 13, Rounds 14 through 17 being cancelled and everyone playing everyone once in that format.

So it goes 11, 12, 13, 8, 9, 10, Finals with the rounds being renumbered to be in order

AFL Vic have just released the crowd cap, bringing it back to 0 with only players, trainers, officials etc allowed in. Hard to see many local comps agreeing to this and playing this weekend.

MGFNL will play this Saturday!!!
The intention is to play its last two home and away games with a view it reassess its position in a fortnight’s time leading into finals.

Clubs that pay half their side to travel from Melbourne each week are ‘crying foul’ but it’s been years since they played finals, and this year is no different. Unsure how many of the guns from Foster and Fish Creek that will be ‘unavailable’.

MGFNL will play this Saturday!!!
The intention is to play its last two home and away games with a view it reassess its position in a fortnight’s time leading into finals.

Clubs that pay half their side to travel from Melbourne each week are ‘crying foul’ but it’s been years since they played finals, and this year is no different. Unsure how many of the guns from Foster and Fish Creek that will be ‘unavailable’.
I was wondering if they were gonna play this weekend, after they didn't play the last Saturday they could've since the lockdown ended 2 days prior.

Foster and Fish Creek have always been strong teams (half the reason why there was a rumour going around that Foster was trying to get them both into the West Gippsland League during the hiatus). Wouldn't think that they'd have too many people from the city, hopefully less than Hill End and Mirboo North. Only 4 teams that can the flag this year. Maybe Yinnar/MDU/Morwell East do have a chance.

I was wondering if they were gonna play this weekend, after they didn't play the last Saturday they could've since the lockdown ended 2 days prior.

Foster and Fish Creek have always been strong teams (half the reason why there was a rumour going around that Foster was trying to get them both into the West Gippsland League during the hiatus). Wouldn't think that they'd have too many people from the city, hopefully less than Hill End and Mirboo North. Only 4 teams that can the flag this year. Maybe Yinnar/MDU/Morwell East do have a chance.
Lockdowns affect Alberton based clubs more than original MGFL Clubs, fact.
Alberton Clubs existence revolved around paying players to travel from Melbourne.
Mid Gippy lasted so long coz of the closeness of grounds and the want to survive as a stand alone league.
The league has done well to get where it has, kudos to all.
Regardless of our different opinions its hopeful we all keep posting.

Lockdowns affect Alberton based clubs more than original MGFL Clubs, fact.
Alberton Clubs existence revolved around paying players to travel from Melbourne.
Mid Gippy lasted so long coz of the closeness of grounds and the want to survive as a stand alone league.
The league has done well to get where it has, kudos to all.
Regardless of our different opinions its hopeful we all keep posting.
It will be interesting to see how Mirboo North and Hill End go this week.

I notice Yarragon are 0-10 in Ellinbank League. They’ve never had a natural catchment area for players.

Where to from now. Restrictions not likely to change soon. Foster tarwin toora virtually fielding 2s teams which totally compromises integrity of ladder. 2 of the teams in the reserves final 5 forfeiting how can they even consider playing a final series under these conditions. No crowds to fund anything i watched hill end v tarwin online the football was deplorable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back