Mid-Season Draft ….. Success or Failure ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL is hellbent on constantly tinkering with every possible facet of the game they can. One of the more recent introductions was the 'midseason draft' which had the intention of helping out clubs (especially those down the bottom) if they were experiencing injuries plus throw a 'test-run' lifeline to mature-age players who had been overlooked previously.

I'm not convinced this thing is all that necessary and just serves to be another opportunity for media promotion of the AFL.

Am I the only one who is sceptical here ??

Could it be restructured and/or improved to make it a more worthwhile event/tool for all clubs and players ??

There should be more fluidity in list changes, clubs shouldn't be stuck with the same 40 players that they had before pre season starts. The mid season draft is a way to help clubs fix a glaring hole, or get a headstart on their future.

Most clubs took a rather safe approach to the mid season draft, taking players they would have been looking at in November for the National draft. In the future I think more clubs should be taking risks, hoping to find the next Kelly or Pickett.

I'd like to see a minimum 2 and a half year deal given to players drafted so they have some security. Would also mean the players picked are less expendable and clubs have to put more thought into if they want to commit to someone.

I'd like to see a minimum 2 and a half year deal given to players drafted so they have some security. Would also mean the players picked are less expendable and clubs have to put more thought into if they want to commit to someone.

this will just stop clubs using later picks i think

That's silly. Completely goes against the spirit of signing these kids mid year. These guys would kill for 2 and a half weeks on a list.

That's silly. Completely goes against the spirit of signing these kids mid year. These guys would kill for 2 and a half weeks on a list.

It uproots their life mid year and the upsets the team they get drafted from. Some better security for the players would be better for them IMO

It uproots their life mid year and the upsets the team they get drafted from. Some better security for the players would be better for them IMO
It uproots their life because they nominate for the ******* draft. They aren't just playing and get a phone call out of no where mate.

For the AFL clubs, yes it's a success as it allows them to fill a void.

For the players themselves well they get opportunities within the AFL system they might never have gotten, so that's a success as well.

Where it is an epic failure unfortunately are the state league clubs where they are taken from.

That's just my view.

like the idea of the mid season draft but it should be only like for like.
If you lose a ruckman to a long term injury then that club can only draft a ruckman in that draft and so on, once year is over that player is returned to where he came from and then has to nominate for the real draft.
Mid season draft should only be to loan a player to fill a hole at that time.

Personally liked it- even if my club didn’t actually get involved this year.

Gives opportunities to players that they otherwise wouldn’t get. If you are good enough- that’s as good as audition to stay on a list as you are going to ever have.

If the initial intention was to replace injured players, well it wasn’t used for that in most cases. Personally, I don’t think it should be used to cover errors made by list management. Ideally, (imo, at least) you should be restricted to replacing the injured player to someone of similar characteristics. So if it’s a ruck being replaced, you would be selecting a ruck with your pick.

I would be very surprised if that ever happens, of course, because at the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter. This is giving people a chance to play AFL.

You only need to see the impact Marlion Pickett had on debut to realise that this was a success overall, though, imo.

I think it's done more good than bad. The case of Hirst is terribly sad though, surely must be something behind it like not adjusting to the professional system or personality clash with the coaches? Bizarre his stocks could have fallen so significantly based just on game time?

And Deluca acquitted himself pretty well this year too, certainly added a bit to Carlton's side when he came in. Victim of circumstance, but daresay he is and will be a better player than the speculative rookies but thats the way it works unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get a kid in the MSD for 1 of 3 reasons

1. A player who can play immediately AND has a long term AFL future (Think Marlion Pickett, John Noble etc, those types)
2. The plug and plays, the type of blokes which fill all the right roles, but probably don't have a long term future with the club (Josh Deluca, Ryan Gardner)
3. The young developing kids, the kids who develop in the NAB League or WAFL that you'd draft in the ND at the end of the year (Dillon O'Reilly, Kyle Dunkley)

Josh Deluca I reckon did his chances no harm. Carlton knew what they were getting and so did every other club in the league.

Cody Hirst however was extremely unlucky because if he waited a few more months he'd have at least 2 more years on an AFL list.

The real successes so far were Marlion Pickett, John Noble and Will Snelling are the early successes, while guys like Michael Knoll and Lachie Hosie will (hopefully) succeed in the coming years. Players like Dillon O'Reilly, Jack Mayo, Kyle Dunkley and Mitch Riordan will continue to be long term prospects.

Its bloody hard to conclude one way or another because the players that got picked up likely would have got picked up at the end of the year anyway whether on a rookie list or in the national draft. So really the results are inconclusive to me

It's one player, this doesn't mean the thing is a great success.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day.
Haven't the vast majority got extended for the upcoming season? What exactly is the problem?

Haven't the vast majority got extended for the upcoming season? What exactly is the problem?
Use Deluca's case an an example...

Pick #1 in the MSD.
Promised an extension for next year.
Uproots himself from WA because of said promise.

Delisted after 6 months.

Simple solution would be 18 months at least on the rookie list if you're picked up in the MSD.

Pick #1 in the MSD.

Delisted after 6 months.

Simple solution would be 18 months at least on the rookie list if you're picked up in the MSD.
Yeah but thats 1 player.
The post I quoted even says you can't use 1 player as an example.

Pick #1 in the MSD.

Delisted after 6 months.

Then that would be a completely different debate and he would be probably entitled to some form of compensation for that promise not being followed through.

But as I understand it, that isn't what happened with Deluca.

Then that would be a completely different debate and he would be probably entitled to some form of compensation for that promise not being followed through.

But as I understand it, that isn't what happened with Deluca.
Yeah, but it’s BF...so making stuff up to suit your argument is allowed......pretty sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back