Strategy Mid-season draft 2019 / Supplemental Selection Period

Remove this Banner Ad

my knock on cox....... and i could be wrong... BUT....
he seems more of a marking small then a crumbling small.
Ebert or sgray all over again. like hes a KPF in a 170cms body etc
As long as they are not the No.1 or 2 KPF then there is a roll for that.

Ryan Murphy lol. 33 and hasn't played in the AFL since 2010. Good luck mate.

I'm hoping "Dillon Viojo-Rainbow" gets a gig, just to hear BT try and get his walrus moustache around that.

If we were to pick up Cam Sutcliffe for whatever reason, the SNAFL people's heads would explode trying to find some way to stymie us on that one. Hope TROSA don't nab him though :sick:

I remember something vaguely about the rules changing for list spaces and picks? I might look it up. I was assuming thought we would maybe three picks in the draft (one mead) and three rookies. It would make sense to draft one of the rookies now. I thought we could bundle up the fourth round picks to pay for mead but maybe not? We can always trade picks to get the best outcome.

Hirst (1st) Hanrahan (3rd) and Andrews (3rd) were named in the best for their Nab teams on the weekend.

edit. Wow. The rule change happened in 2018. We gave away Hombsch for nothing.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/112f1b7e18eda1f3127038e1a48a1477

they never miss a chance to amend a rule after other teams have manipulated it but before we can do the same.

I was hugely critical of giving gcs a 1st 22 player for a 4th at the time and it seems even stupider now. im stumped that we couldn't even have sent one of our many 4ths with hombsch to get back a 3rd which would be so much better for us right now.

What do they need?
Goalkicking options will quickly dry up with Paddy Ryder, Justin Westhoff and Robbie Gray all 31 or older. First-year draftee Boyd Woodcock is the only small pressure forward on the list and it is another area for Power recruiters to ponder.

Who's available?
South Australian Lachlan Hosie is coming with a rush. Still with raw traits, the 22-year-old mid-sized forward has kicked 19 goals from seven matches this year for Glenelg and is under the Power's nose. Teammate Cory Gregson, delisted from Geelong last year, would also fill a need and is over his injury concerns. The Power have also met with former Dockers midfielder Josh Deluca.

Do they have a pick?
A season-ending knee injury to second-year midfielder Jake Patmore leaves the Power with one availability. Jack Watts remains out for an indefinite period after breaking his leg earlier this season and could be moved to the long-term injury list if the Power felt it was necessary.

The whisper: Right now, the Power have told several parties they're more likely not to take a selection. However, that could all change before Monday's deadline at midday. - MC

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-22/midseason-rookie-draft-what-your-club-needs

yeah we need goal kicking options but Robbies coming back in 2nd half of the year and Farrells form is building so its a bit late to add a goal kicking option, the 1st half of the year is when we would have needed one.

also there isn't a player available that will break into our 22 this year anyway.

I would be amazed and annoyed if we don't pick up a player though.

hanrahan would legit go mid-draft 30-45 end of year as it stands. its like a free mid draft pick lol. someone will take him mid draft.

How come people are ignoring Tobin Cox? People were doing the "Port in a few years time" teams and didn't name him in that either.
my knock on cox....... and i could be wrong... BUT....
he seems more of a marking small then a crumbling small.
Ebert or sgray all over again. like hes a KPF in a 170cms body etc

yeah I know cox has skills but im still unsure on him. as a 175ish?cm marking small who is good with his body there are like a hundred afl defenders bigger smarter and stronger. if he can show a ground level game and that he can play that opportunistic 4th option in forward line I would be more confident. hate him to be competing as a tall target demanding players kick to him so intercept markers just peel of and cut off our attacks.

Always thought Jonathan Freeman had potential.
Could be worth trying to convert him to a KPD, provided his body is healthy as he always seemed to be injured.

Jesse Palmer (Port Adelaide)
Marlon Motlop (Port Adelaide)
Sam Colquhoun (Port Adelaide)
Andrew Moore (Port Adelaide & Richmond)
Will Snelling (Port Adelaide)

GET THE BAND BACK TOGETHER, WHERE JO-BU

Why would you not take on someone ?

Minimal risk / cost for potentially huge reward

Pretty much just $. It's a reasonable amount of $ to spend for someone you don't really need. Then again, Cam Hewett has been on the list for 4 years?

We have tended to go with sa players as late / rookie picks. I suppose there are lower costs and less problems with settling in.

There aren't a huge number of sa kids screaming out pick me. The sanfl seems to be a retirement home for afl players.

Hosie has been mentioned lately. I don't know what he was doing before this year.

Perhaps they are trying to save the $$$ for someone they are about to lure over at the end of the season.
What would they get paid for a half season contract? Also that 20k bonus if you don't get re-signed, does the AFL pay that?

I don't think there's any point in taking a player for AFL purposes, based on that list.

However I'd take someone as a big FU to the SANFL, and do it to boost our chances of a SANFL flag. The SANFL side could do with another key forward, key back or a wingman. So there's a few options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's any point in taking a player for AFL purposes, based on that list.

However I'd take someone as a big FU to the SANFL, and do it to boost our chances of a SANFL flag. The SANFL side could do with another key forward, key back or a wingman. So there's a few options.
I like it. Would be hilarious. Maybe taking someone from Nord would be fun

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...x/news-story/ec5b7c7fde292e73a451bc6b13d7b8f0

The draft will be held on Monday May 27, with Fox Footy broadcasting the draft live from 6.30pm (AEST). You can follow every pick as it happens on foxfooty.com.au.

Similar to the rookie draft, no players will be on hand to receive their guernsey from their new club, but clubs will be situated at AFL House, with the event expected to last about 30 minutes.

It’s understood players will then be unveiled in their new club colours the next day.

Clubs were not allowed to run their own medical screenings, but could interview players as they wished.

Collingwood, GWS Giants and Port Adelaide are three clubs believed to be pondering whether to use the pick or whether to pass.

Drafted players will be paid a minimum $50,000 for a short contract that ends on October 31, with the player receiving a further $20,000 if the club doesn’t elect to re-sign them or they aren’t picked up as a delisted free agent.

Pretty much just $. It's a reasonable amount of $ to spend for someone you don't really need. Then again, Cam Hewett has been on the list for 4 years?

We have tended to go with sa players as late / rookie picks. I suppose there are lower costs and less problems with settling in.

There aren't a huge number of sa kids screaming out pick me. The sanfl seems to be a retirement home for afl players.

Hosie has been mentioned lately. I don't know what he was doing before this year.
Yeah but it's also a way to get around the draconian restrictions on the Magpies. I think we should take advantage of every one of those.

If we dont need anyone for the AFL team them just pick the bloke who would best help the Maggies win the flag (without interfering with development).

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Beat me to it.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What a bizarre attitude. Back in the free-wheelin' 70s and 80s players swapped clubs up to the 30 June deadline. It was actually exciting being on the lookout for recruits to top up your team. Some sides lost good players, other sides picked up good players.

I was under the impression the $ANFL have bought in a rule this year that if one of the SA based clubs selected a player from a rival $ANFL club then the player had to remain at that local club for the rest of the season- unless of course selected for AFL action.

So while I still think we should select a player it won’t benefit the Maggies this season.

I was under the impression the $ANFL have bought in a rule this year that if one of the SA based clubs selected a player from a rival $ANFL club then the player had to remain at that local club for the rest of the season- unless of course selected for AFL action.

So while I still think we should select a player it won’t benefit the Maggies this season.
I'm pretty sure the player we bring in can play with us in all games except in games against their old side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back