Strategy Mid-season draft 2019 / Supplemental Selection Period

Remove this Banner Ad

No. It's a deal made long ago. See if if happens again next year.
We could have done something interesting though.

Not sure I understand what you mean? Are you suggesting we told Cam we would pick him up in the MSD just to get him to sign on with the Port Magpies?

Okay.

I was joking about Butcher but he'd be closer to selection than Sutcliffe surely.

Doesn't even improve the maggies. We could at least have pinched the best player at SANFL level for the laugh.
Yeah the melts if we picked a glenelg or norwood player would have been hysterical.

Not sure I understand what you mean? Are you suggesting we told Cam we would pick him up in the MSD just to get him to sign on with the Port Magpies?

I don't know if that is allowed?
It's obviously form and the possibility he will make a significant contribution to the power line up this season. Particularly as Duursma and Drew are struggling.

Port had better of done a deal with him because that's the only way it makes sense.

Hope Snelling gets a red hot crack at it with Essendon. They want to play him in that Devon smith pressure forward role, recon i read that suggestion on here more then once, said it a few times myself.

After all the games we pumped into Jake Neade and to a slightly lesser extent Sam Gray why we never gave Snelling a real chance in that position puzzles me... Well not puzzles me, it Hinkley who is our coach after all.

Not sure if ill laugh or cry it he succeeds, but really hope he does.

The panel put it correctly, view these players as picks 100+ in the main and rookie drafts from last year.

So even if this draft didn’t happen, these players would likely be in the 30-100 range at years end. Really not sure we are missing out on much here apart from a very speculative pick or an average state leaguer who is unlikely to impact.

Sutcliffe is far from the best player in the SANFL or the best player in the Magpies or the player with most potential. What role will he play in the AFL? Who does he come in for? What future does he have at port?

Spending ~70K on a player to sure up the SANFL side is an extreme move. Spending 70K to ensure we keep our SANFL captain and he isn’t nabbed by the Crows is madness.

Unless this is some move to encourage future players to play for the magpies, as a motivator for the SANFL players, as a ‘prearranged’ payment for Sutcliffe or some salary cap manoeuvre, this is a crazy decision by Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my take on this- it rewards players who come to Adelaide to play for the Maggies. Won't help the Maggies this year but in October when we try and recruit top up players, we can tell them that if they play their cards right, a mid year draft spot is there for them.

Had the same thought. I wonder if we promised him the midseason draft pick (and the extra cash that allows us to pay him) to get him to Port in the first place. Hopefully that's all it is, because I don't want to see him at AFL level for us.

Drafted to any other club he'd be a solid 150+ game packbusting KPF now.

Still gets me angry to think about how badly we wasted him.

Levi Casboult has played 112 games of AFL football. Levi ****ing Casboult.

really the main purpose of this draft should be for mature age stopgaps in a shallow position, or younger players who’ve had rapid improvement

no ******* idea what this is

edit: also can’t believe the acronym N F I is censored. ridiculousshit

so 12 players for 3 small defender positions
Weren't the mods or someone calling for us to get a genuine kpd in this year's end of season draft in the last day or so....?

We have too many!

He meets no need and is an entirely known quantity with zero upside.

Guess it makes absolute sense for a club that got goosed into massively extending the contract a thoroughly mediocre head coach by the worst club in the league.

Rock on little challenger brand.

The sanfl teams got weakened and we could have gotten stronger

Our young players playing finals for the magpies can only be a good thing for their development when it doesn’t come at a cost to our team as well.

I would have taken the best young prospect but even a ready made sanfl level player would have had benefit.

What are people smoking? Butcher ffs and yea Levi has played a hunge.. at CARLTON!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back