Strategy Mid-season draft 2019 / Supplemental Selection Period

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unfortunately we have a rookie spot open. I doubt we pick up a player inthe next few days? Hopefully some of the kids not selected in the draft last year put their hands up with a big start to the season. Its easier to pick the winner when you see the first half of the race.

Unfortunately we have a rookie spot open. I doubt we pick up a player inthe next few days? Hopefully some of the kids not selected in the draft last year put their hands up with a big start to the season. Its easier to pick the winner when you see the first half of the race.
Did you mean we don't have a spot open?

Our list is 40 + 4 rookies + 2 Cat B rookies so the only spot open is a Cat B rookie, but I don't think we can add a Cat B rookie as part of the Supplemental Selection Period and we haven't declared anyone as a Long Term Injury yet.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2019/port-adelaide

Last edited:

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did you mean we don't have a spot open?

Our list is 40 + 4 rookies + 2 Cat B rookies so the only spot open is a Cat B rookie, but I don't think we can add a Cat B rookie as part of the Supplemental Selection Period and we haven't declared anyone as a long Term Injury yet.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2019/port-adelaide

Nah. I just meant Jake Patmore did his acl and is out for the year. It sucks but it seems to happen to most clubs. Patmore can be replaced by March 15 with a player we choose or he could be replaced in the mid season draft. Unless we have a player we have been following very closely, you would think we would wait for the mid-season draft.

Nah. I just meant Jake Patmore did his acl and is out for the year. It sucks but it seems to happen to most clubs. Patmore can be replaced by March 15 with a player we choose or he could be replaced in the mid season draft. Unless we have a player we have been following very closely, you would think we would wait for the mid-season draft.
From the injury update thread Grave Danger posted

From afl.com.au
"Under the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) introduced this year, clubs have the opportunity to place players on their long-term injury list and replace them prior to March 15.
Port Adelaide, which lost young midfielder Jake Patmore to a ruptured ACL at the weekend, will instead opt to carry the position on its list into the mid-season draft."

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From the injury update thread Grave Danger posted

From afl.com.au
"Under the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) introduced this year, clubs have the opportunity to place players on their long-term injury list and replace them prior to March 15.
Port Adelaide, which lost young midfielder Jake Patmore to a ruptured ACL at the weekend, will instead opt to carry the position on its list into the mid-season draft."

Great. I hadn't seen that. Makes sense. Hopefully we can jag a good player and Patmore comes back well next year. It will make the draft boards more interesting early in the year. I'll check on the overlooked national and state screening kids, choose my favourite and we will draft someone else!

May 8, 2014
Adelaide Airport
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, QPR
I think we're shallow in defensive depth and this is a need we should address at the mid year draft, we've lost Jackson Trengove and Jack Hombsch in the past two years, they were longtime starting 22 players, plus Dougal Howard's form of late has been concerning, plus questions over Riley Grundy, so we should keep an eye which state league defenders are in form.

Or, if we're looking to replace Patmore, Port is pretty much the only AFL option for Mitch Grigg, he can't really move interstate because of his father's condition, and the fact he's already been delisted by the Crows rules them out, but he might be too similar to other players we already have.

Cameron Sutcliffe would have to think he is a chance.

Then we could recruit a new marquee player for the Magpies.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don’t even remotely see us pulling anyone out of a mid season draft and playing them in afl

Hinkleys selection history, the fact any mid year draftee hasn’t had a AFL pre season nor have any idea of our gameplan etc etc

The only function it would serve for us would be to pick up anyone that has had breakout year after being passed over in a draft or 2. Ie a tim kelly. But I imagine any standout like that probably gets taken in the first pick or 2.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don’t even remotely see us pulling anyone out of a mid season draft and playing them in afl

Hinkleys selection history, the fact any mid year draftee hasn’t had a AFL pre season nor have any idea of our gameplan etc etc

The only function it would serve for us would be to pick up anyone that has had breakout year after being passed over in a draft or 2. Ie a tim kelly. But I imagine any standout like that probably gets taken in the first pick or 2.

Even if we had 3 players long term injured - ruck, KPF or KPD??

I think we're shallow in defensive depth and this is a need we should address at the mid year draft, we've lost Jackson Trengove and Jack Hombsch in the past two years, they were longtime starting 22 players, plus Dougal Howard's form of late has been concerning, plus questions over Riley Grundy, so we should keep an eye which state league defenders are in form.

Or, if we're looking to replace Patmore, Port is pretty much the only AFL option for Mitch Grigg, he can't really move interstate because of his father's condition, and the fact he's already been delisted by the Crows rules them out, but he might be too similar to other players we already have.

What's Cam O'Shea doing these days

Is it wrong for me to think that we should draft out of spite for the SANFL rather than to fill a need?

No, not at all. I say the captain of the league leaders at the time would suffice.

SANFL clubs are still demanding any AFL mid-season draftee to the Crows and Power never wear an Adelaide or Port Adelaide jumper in the State league at any time this year.
But the push for this concession - that turned up the heat at a meeting between the SANFL executive and SANFL club chief executives in Hutt Street last month - remains in the hands of the two SA-based AFL clubs.
Norwood and Sturt were the strongest and most vocal advocates for a ban on any AFL mid-season draftee being allowed to play for the Port Adelaide Magpies or Crows in the SANFL at any time this year.
Norwood chief executive James Fantasia told The Advertiser the predecent set with West Coast’s entry with an AFL reserves team to the WAFL State league should apply in the SANFL.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...e/news-story/80267d9bcac90dc92f1194d4462e7e94

Tail still trying to wag the dog. Wonder what James Fantasia's position would be if he was still at the crows?

I reckon we need a midfielder. I think Watts and Frampton are good forward depth, Rucks are fine, Howard and McKenzie are good KPD depth.

Edit: My views would be vastly different if we didn't have Hill, Makoi, Corcoran and Edwards as KP players on the SANFL list. So they help with team balance for the SANFL side when needed.

Last edited:

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was thinking marsh myself as we need kpd depth but really like the munn idea was surprised he didn't get drafted. Or grigg would also be good as i have always liked him from his draft year and pissing norwood off would be a bonus.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
...Norwood chief executive James Fantasia told The Advertiser the predecent set with West Coast’s entry with an AFL reserves team to the WAFL State league should apply in the SANFL.
Tail still trying to wag the dog. Wonder what James Fantasia's position would be if he was still at the crows?
What is the precedent set by the West Coast Eagles?

---

Dear SANFL,

Let be known that PAFC wouldn't mind fielding TWO teams in the SANFL competition: the Magpies; and the Power Magoos. Just give our zones back and allow the Power reserves into the tournament. Done. Issue solved.

Best,
GP

P.S.: There would be a risk of an all-Port Grand Final, but, alas!, "they can never tear us apart," right? ;)
P.P.S.: At least, the Port Adelaide Oval would be packed and rocking... #KahChing #SilverLinings

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Even if we had 3 players long term injured - ruck, KPF or KPD??

I can’t see us realistically plugging any state league player into our afl side after they’ve been with us for a matter of weeks. It just wouldn’t happen. Look at how a player looks when he has missed preseason. Look at how different the game and gameplan is from north Adelaide or port Melbourne to an afl gameplan. Hinkley has shown he will go with people that know his gameplan over fitting in talls for structure so many times. He would play McKenzie at chb before he would draft and play kory beard.

If we lost heaps of depth to injury we might use the mid season draft but it will be to plug the holes it has created in our reserves side.

The value I see in a mid year draft is to bring in talent that has taken a step forward or you’ve gotten a better look at a guy passed over at the national draft etc. but to be honest I don’t see the depth of the mid year draft extending beyond pick 2 or 3, much less to the pick where we will likely sit.

Back