Strategy Mid-season draft 2019 / Supplemental Selection Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Neagle
Here are some former AFL players newly recruited to sanfl clubs. Not much to get excited about.

Centrals
Troy Menzel
Matthew Neagle - not from an AFL club but was talked up as a draft smokey last year

Glenelg
Cory Gregson
Luke Partington
Liam McBean - after a year off

South
Malcolm Karpany

West
Patrick Levicki - from Norwood, but a mature age tall defender

Eagles
Jesse Lonergan
Jordan Foote

Partington was b&f at east perth last year.

Foote was a high possession getter at the Swans in the NEAFL.

Here are some former AFL players newly recruited to sanfl clubs. Not much to get excited about.

Centrals
Troy Menzel
Matthew Neagle - not from an AFL club but was talked up as a draft smokey last year

Glenelg
Cory Gregson
Luke Partington

South
Malcolm Karpany

West

Eagles
Jesse Lonergan
Jordan Foote

I like Gregson but he has had major foot issues. I thought we would have shown some interest in Partington. Lewis, Sampson and Munn seemed to be the highest rated sa kids not drafted last year. If we get a kid from interstate, hopefully we would pretty much guarantee a second year. Dillon O'Reilly (spell? ) was my favourite non drafted kid last year. He was playing kpf for wa but probably transitioning to kpd. I thought he was a gun?

Last edited:
I like Gregson but he has had major foot issues. I thought we would have shown some interest in Partington. Lewis, Sampson and Munn seemed to be the highest rated sa kid not drafted last year. If we get a kid from interstate, hopefully we would pretty much guarantee a second year. Dillon O'Reilly (spell? ) was my favourite non drafted kid last year. He was playing kpf for wa but
probably transitioning to kpd. I thought he was a gun?

I saw Dylan OReillys highlights earlier this week, looks ok. As you said plays KPF and KPD, in the footage I saw attended a few centre bounces and spend some time in the middle.

Though he looked ok from what saw, maybe he’ll get a chance at the mid year draft.

Here is profile write up from the very lovely Pie 4 Life aussie rules draft central regarding Dillon O'Reilly.

Not testing at the combine due to a shin injury could explain his non-selection?

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/dillon-oreilly/

<a href="https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/team/western-australia/"></a>
DRAFT ANALYSIS: "A strong marking key forward who reads the flight of the ball well and has strong hands."
OVERVIEW
Dillon O’Reilly is the son of former Geelong, Fremantle and Carlton full-back Stephen O’Reilly. Stephen played league 146 games for three teams between 1993-2000 which included 98 with Fremantle. However for fans of the Dockers, he fell two games short of the 100 game cut-off for father-son eligibility.
For many reasons that is a real shame for the purple army as key position players remain a problem area for the club. While admittedly still a bit raw, O’Reilly has plenty of tools at his disposal to be a very good player at the highest level.
While known as a key marking target, the coaching group at East Fremantle have added a deal of flexibility to his game by switching him to the defence end at times which he has taken to seamlessly. O’ Reilly was in the WAFL Colts team of the season along with being a member of the Sharks premiership side in 2017, and topped it off by being the leading goalkicker in the competition with 46 goals (including finals).
STRENGTHS
  • Marking
  • Goal kicking
  • Versatility
  • Work rate
  • Size
  • Clutch
The old adage that the big guys do not get any smaller applies to O’Reilly. He measures in at just under six foot five in the old scale, and at 18 he still has the possibility to grow further. The added advantage of the versatile big man is his ability to pinch-hit in the ruck.
O’Reilly ticks a lot of boxes as he is able to read the ball in flight and can time his leap to perfection which is an art-form in itself. Accuracy in front of goal is a big talking point in modern football and the key forward has shown that he is adept at putting the ball between the two big sticks on a regular basis.
He is not afraid of the big stage, making his debut in the East Fremantle senior side at the tail end of 2017 which was not a bad effort considering he was a bottom ager at the time. The youngster created a piece of history of his own as he became the first player born after the year 2000 to play at the senior level. He did not look out of place in his two games kicking three goals and taking nine marks.
O’Reilly produced some more memorable moments in big games this season, kicking three goals against Vic Metro in the U/18s carnival and backing that up with two majors against the Allies. He was also instrumental in a come from behind win for the Sharks against old rivals South Fremantle in the elimination final this year. The swingman kicked six second half goals as the Bulldogs had no way to combat the key forward as they completed a stirring victory.
Improvements
  • Speed
  • Endurance
  • Physicality
As is normal with someone of O’Reilly’s build, speed and endurance are not what you would assume are the main strengths for the youngster. However like most players in their fledgling years, they are the areas that he can work on and steadily improve. One thing all young forwards struggle with in the early part of their senior careers is the physical nature of defending. O’Reilly will come up against hardened bodies and will need to be prepared for the physical battering he will receive on a weekly basis. If he can add an extra 5-10kg to his frame, that would be ideal for someone playing in his position. While the body of work from the youngster has been excellent once again in 2018, a slight personal disappointment would have been his inability to take part in the AFL combine due to a shin injury.
DRAFT PROJECTION: 40+
SUMMARY
O’Reilly’s placement in the draft really depends on the needs of the team and whether they require a key marking forward to add to their playing ranks. Tall forwards can be somewhat of a ‘long term project’ and clubs and supporters need to patient in their development. That said, O’Reilly has shown clear signs that he is not afraid of the big moment, has a large upside and a great deal of versatility to his game. In all, O’Reilly looms as a fascinating name to keep a eye on come draft day.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/dillon-oreilly/

And a final bit of spruiking.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/ea...ntal-selection-period-deadline-ng-b881127077z

East Fremantle young gun Dillon O’Reilly is attracting AFL interest ahead of the pre-season supplemental selection period deadline on March 15.

The West Australian understands clubs both locally and interstate are tracking the 18-year-old, who is enjoying a strong pre-season at Shark Park.

East Fremantle coach Bill Monaghan said while he hadn’t spoken with anyone directly, it wouldn’t surprise him if he in the mix to get picked up during the SSP period or mid-season draft.

The son of former Fremantle, Carlton and Geelong defender Stephen would have qualified as a Dockers’ father-son prospect had his dad played two more games for the club.

Fremantle, who currently don’t have any list spots available, kept close tabs on O’Reilly last year but eventually overlooked him in the national and rookie drafts after he struggled for consistency.

“We’re really bullish about the way he’s training,” Monaghan said.

“We think he will be on an AFL list in time after losing his way a bit last year and missing out in the draft.”

<br>

Tom Lewis was listed as 80kg last year and is now listed at 75kg on his sturt profile. He looked like one of those kids who is just a natural good big bummed footy player. He's obviously worked very hard over the pre-season. Players with natural ability who work hard tend to make afl players.

Id be most keen on O’Reilly from that lot.

Lewis is good but not the type we need. Munn, i want to see him prove he has something resembling forward craft in the sanfl this year before i’d take him.

I can’t see us realistically plugging any state league player into our afl side after they’ve been with us for a matter of weeks. It just wouldn’t happen. Look at how a player looks when he has missed preseason. Look at how different the game and gameplan is from north Adelaide or port Melbourne to an afl gameplan. Hinkley has shown he will go with people that know his gameplan over fitting in talls for structure so many times. He would play McKenzie at chb before he would draft and play kory beard.

If we lost heaps of depth to injury we might use the mid season draft but it will be to plug the holes it has created in our reserves side.

The value I see in a mid year draft is to bring in talent that has taken a step forward or you’ve gotten a better look at a guy passed over at the national draft etc. but to be honest I don’t see the depth of the mid year draft extending beyond pick 2 or 3, much less to the pick where we will likely sit.

Agree with this, but in my opinion this is not what we're aiming for.

The mid-season draft is an opportunity to (1) get a mature age late bloomer onto our list before next years' draft to get them AFL ready for 2020 and (2) strengthen the Magpies ahead of finals (hopefully) for 2019.

Lewis is good but not the type we need. Munn, i want to see him prove he has something resembling forward craft in the sanfl this year before i’d take him.

Was there any highly rated guys who missed the champs or end of year because of injury and went undrafted?

They would be the good ones to watch for a mid year draft I imagine

How did you like Mitch Riordan last year? I didn’t see him.

Did you like James Blanck?

He's got the perfect profile for a rookie.

Late birthday, only started in the system last year, under weight due to no system. 195 cm key position defender with extreme speed who worked his way into metro's side from playing local footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Centrals
Troy Menzel

Glenelg
Cory Gregson
Luke Partington

South
Malcolm Karpany

West

Eagles
Jesse Lonergan
Jordan Foote

Nice work m8 i was wondering what happened to levicki was a real likely type and i think kpd depth is what we need and should off been addressed at trade time.

Was keen on marsh as back up but since his gone would like to grab munn as a free hit. How does mid season draft work on last years rankings i would suspect? Dont want crows jumping in front with some season ending awarness.

Last edited:
Was there any highly rated guys who missed the champs or end of year because of injury and went undrafted?

They would be the good ones to watch for a mid year draft I imagine

How did you like Mitch Riordan last year? I didn’t see him.

O'Reilly and Blanck the two highest undrafted guys on my list.

I loved Blanck. He should put his name forward again this year.

Riordan was ok. Just ok. Rookie list material. He's going around again as an overager this year

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-18/midseason-draft-beckons-duo-who-missed-ssp-deals

Former key-position Magpie Sam McLarty and midfielder Luke Meadows, previously at West Perth and now Box Hill, could reasonably be starting the season on an AFL list.

The sanfl, sanfl clubs and the sa media should really read the comments in the article and get some perspective.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-18/midseason-draft-beckons-duo-who-missed-ssp-deals

McLarty's Williamstown coach Andy Collins, who had four players join AFL clubs since the end of the last VFL season, was disappointed for him but hopeful he would get another shot.

"People think standalone VFL clubs are win-at-all-cost, but we would celebrate (any of our players being drafted into the AFL) and for anyone to think otherwise is ludicrous."

The sanfl, sanfl clubs and the sa media should really read the comments in the article and get some perspective.

McLarty's Williamstown coach Andy Collins, who had four players join AFL clubs since the end of the last VFL season, was disappointed for him but hopeful he would get another shot.

"People think standalone VFL clubs are win-at-all-cost, but we would celebrate (any of our players being drafted into the AFL) and for anyone to think otherwise is ludicrous."
The (now) VFL has always known they are second fiddle to the (old VFL/) AFL. Large parts of the SANFL hierarchy and SANFL clubs still think they are the 'purer' competition and the AFL clubs in SA are only to fund that. Until more of these relics living in the 1970's and 1980's (bastards putting a downer on memories of the best decade!) die we'll always be fighting them.

From what I can tell, ten clubs would currently have picks at the Mid-season draft, for a total of twelve picks

* Adelaide - one, Tom Doedee LTI
* Brisbane - zero
* Carlton - one
, passed on one rookie pick, Tommy Bugg retired, Sam Docherty LTI, recruited Michael Gibbons and Matt Cottrell in SSP
* Collingwood - zero
* Essendon - zero
, passed on one rookie pick, recruited Zac Clarke in the SSP
* Fremantle - zero
* Geelong - zero
* Gold Coast - two
, passed on one rookie pick, Rory Thompson and Harrison Wigg LTI's, recruited Sam Fletcher in SSP
* GWS - one, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, recruited Shane Mumford in SSP
* Hawthorn - two, Will Langford inactive, Tom Mitchell and Tim Mohr LTI's, recruited Ned Reeves in SSP
* Melbourne - zero, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, recruited Corey Wagner and Jay Lockhart in SSP
* North Melbourne - one, passed on one rookie pick, Ed Vickers-Willis LTI, recruited Tom Campbell in SSP
* Port Adelaide - one, Jake Patmore LTI
* Richmond - one, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, Alex Rance LTI, recruited Mav Weller and Sydney Stack in SSP
* St. Kilda - zero, Dylan Roberton and Jack Bytel LTI's, recruited Sam Rowe and Jonathan Marsh in SSP
* Sydney - one, Kurt Tippett inactive, Jack Maibaum LTI, recruited Hayden McLean in SSP
* West Coast - zero, passed on one rookie pick, recruited Keegan Brooksby in SSP
* Western Bulldogs - one
, passed on one rookie pick, Dale Morris LTI but upgraded Buku Khamis from Cat. B to senior list

This would be the draft order if it were held tomorrow...

1) North Melbourne
2) Adelaide
3) Carlton
4) Sydney
5) Gold Coast
6) Western Bulldogs
7) Port Adelaide
8) Richmond
9) Hawthorn
10) GWS
11) Gold Coast
12) Hawthorn