Strategy Mid-season draft 2019 / Supplemental Selection Period

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL CLUBS will be able to submit up to three players for medical examination ahead of the return of the Mid-Season Rookie Draft on May 27.

The pool of players who nominate between April 29 and May 3 will be sent to clubs on May 6 and they will have two days to work out who they want tested.

The independent medical testing will take place five days before the draft on May 22, with club medical staff invited to attend.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04...les-clubs-allowed-to-test-up-to-three-players

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...t/news-story/53b370f2a855e787c8e17416e0ba3221

PORT ADELAIDE

One list spot available via Jake Patmore’s ACL injury

The Power have already made major changes to their best 22 via the draft, and with Patmore unlikely to be a major figure in the club’s plans this season anyway, if they do opt to fill the young midfielder’s spot they may look at a younger player or an undervalued state league talent rather than an ex-AFL recycled option. Jye Bolton is 27, but has won two Sandover Medals in the WAFL and is averaging 36 disposals so far this season. If he doesn’t get a go at AFL level soon, he might never.

Do we count Kingsley twice coz we delisted him and drafted him again too.

John McCarthy's first season was pretty promising.
We never delisted Kingsley. We threatened to do so, Choco told him to go lose weight and get fit and he did before the last delisting period.

We never delisted Kingsley. We threatened to do so, Choco told him to go lose weight and get fit and he did before the last delisting period.

I stand corrected :)

I'm right about McCarthy though because he chose us over Richmond which was considered a win at the time. Can only wonder how he would have ended up. Good size, plenty of disposals but needed to brush up on them as I recall. RIP.

Mahoney, Rodan, Kingsley, McCarthy. There is delisted talent out there to be had is the point.

I wonder what effect this ‘draft’ will have on the end of year draft and rookie period.

Ie:
- do you still have to make 3 delistings?
- does this player get a six month contract or do they have to stay beyond this season?

More broadly:
- will fewer mature agers get drafted at the end of the year?
- will any of these players actually get games and make an impact?
- how can the AFL ensure the players are fit enough and AFL ready to be safe but also not give a whole lot of guys false hope?
- how are the state leagues not going to get smashed apart by all this player movement?

For Port what’s the point of this draft?

Getting a ‘ready’ made player, well don’t we have plenty of young mids and KPPs who are ‘ready’? I would prefer Atley, Amon, Drew, etc getting runs before a state level mid like Grigg. Same with Ladhams, Frampton, Marshall, Hayes, surely they would be better than McBean. I can’t imagine there are that many Tim Kellys running around undrafted.

For me it’s find a young player with an elite trait but who lacked something. Like Sydney Stack with his attitude issues. A six month trial of AFL conditions to see if the player is up to scratch. There are definitely some speedy midfield/HBF/HFF types and some KPPs worth giving a trial too. If they show improvement and commitment then give em another shot. If not, see ya later.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...for-afl-mid-season-draft-20190501-p51j73.html

Melbourne’s former high draft pick Jimmy Toumpas is among the 150-plus players who have already nominated for the AFL’s new version of the mid-season draft.
Injury-ridden former Collingwood and St Kilda midfielder Nathan Freeman, ex-Docker Cam Sutcliffe, former Hawthorn midfielder and current Collingwood VFL player and regular club runner, Alex Woodward, have also put their names into the pool for the new draft.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/javascript:void(0);
Ex-Lion Reuben William is another player to have nominated for the mid-season draft, which will be held on May 27.
The vast majority of the more than 150 players who have nominated — the nominations close on Friday — are players from the state leagues, such as the VFL, the WAFL and the SANFL.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...for-afl-mid-season-draft-20190501-p51j73.html

Melbourne’s former high draft pick Jimmy Toumpas is among the 150-plus players who have already nominated for the AFL’s new version of the mid-season draft.
Injury-ridden former Collingwood and St Kilda midfielder Nathan Freeman, ex-Docker Cam Sutcliffe, former Hawthorn midfielder and current Collingwood VFL player and regular club runner, Alex Woodward, have also put their names into the pool for the new draft.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/javascript:void(0);
Ex-Lion Reuben William is another player to have nominated for the mid-season draft, which will be held on May 27.
The vast majority of the more than 150 players who have nominated — the nominations close on Friday — are players from the state leagues, such as the VFL, the WAFL and the SANFL.
Our Sutcliffe?

I still don’t see huge promise in this mid season draft. What are the AFL and clubs expecting?

How many players would actually be up to scratch from a fitness point of view, let alone skills?

Say Sutcliffe gets picked up by the Gold Coast. He has to move there. It would then take at least a month to get up speed, fitness, game plan, used to the club and then actually get back to AFL speed. That would mean most players, at best would be pushing for selection around rounds 15-16, probably longer for talls.

Then I guess the question would be what kind of an impact would a player like that have? Can’t imagine they would be ‘the difference’ in making finals or pushing up the ladder.

Surely this is just an opportunity for clubs to pounce early on a player like Sydney Stack who they wanted to see more from before drafting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stand corrected :)

I'm right about McCarthy though because he chose us over Richmond which was considered a win at the time. Can only wonder how he would have ended up. Good size, plenty of disposals but needed to brush up on them as I recall. RIP.

Mahoney, Rodan, Kingsley, McCarthy. There is delisted talent out there to be had is the point.

JMac actually chose Richmond. We just had a pick before them and chose to pick him

I still don’t see huge promise in this mid season draft. What are the AFL and clubs expecting?

How many players would actually be up to scratch from a fitness point of view, let alone skills?

Say Sutcliffe gets picked up by the Gold Coast. He has to move there. It would then take at least a month to get up speed, fitness, game plan, used to the club and then actually get back to AFL speed. That would mean most players, at best would be pushing for selection around rounds 15-16, probably longer for talls.

Then I guess the question would be what kind of an impact would a player like that have? Can’t imagine they would be ‘the difference’ in making finals or pushing up the ladder.

Surely this is just an opportunity for clubs to pounce early on a player like Sydney Stack who they wanted to see more from before drafting.

I want us to pick Angus Hanrahan

It is for drafting:
- players already in the organization;
- those who might be worth taking a closer look; or
- one-trick poneis, experienced players who might bring a special ability (ruck, goal kick, speed, mark, etc.) and be immediately useful.

It is up to the clubs decide how to use it.

Last edited:
It is for drafting players already in the organization, those who might be worth taking a closer look, or who might bring a special ability (ruck, goal kick, speed, mark, etc.) which might be immediately useful.

It is up to the clubs decide how to use it.

Yea I get that. I’m yet to be convinced that these players will have any impact in the season they are drafted.

To be honest, just another opportunity to build buzz and hype for the AFL with a mini draft mid season.

I want us to pick Angus Hanrahan

Yeah only value I see in a mid season draft is identifying young players who were passed over and have improved.

183cm outside mid/utility who plays for Sandringham in the NAB League. Elite kick, elite endurance, good pace, good agility. Has a lot of impact.

I would want ports to draft someone they have had there eye on for awhile who they believe could become an afl player.

Not a break glass in an emergency player.

Yea I get that. I’m yet to be convinced that these players will have any impact in the season they are drafted.

To be honest, just another opportunity to build buzz and hype for the AFL with a mini draft mid season.
The third type of player could, but it is a big 'if'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back