Strategy Mid-season draft 2019 / Supplemental Selection Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah, nearly chocked on my coffee from laughter at this morning headlines. So, the SANFL clubs are angry at the mid season draft rules- how sweet it is.

As I have posted previously I doubt we will participate but it would be great to grab a Norwood player and deny him to them for the rest of the year.

great to see the shoe on the other foot for a change. :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
What's Marlon Pickett up to these days?

Article from Perth Now talking about the WA players who missed out in last year's national draft.

MARLION PICKETT
Position: Half-back/midfielder

Height: 183cm

Weight: 85kg

Club: South Fremantle

Pickett filled the Bulldogs’ midfield void left by first-year Geelong star Tim Kelly, and he is a huge chance to follow in his footsteps into the AFL. After spending the majority of his WAFL career as a running defender, the speedster’s change of role helped take his game to another level in 2018. Gold Coast, St Kilda and West Coast were among those interested in the 26-year-old during the year.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...uckiest-wa-players-to-miss-out-ng-b881030845z

183cm outside mid/utility who plays for Sandringham in the NAB League. Elite kick, elite endurance, good pace, good agility. Has a lot of impact.

Yeah this is an opportunity to draft a kid who's had a bit more opportunity for growth and exposure.

I'd rather roll the dice with someone like that, than someone mid 20's.

Oops...

Mid-season draft players may be ineligible after rule confusion

There has been confusion by many players as a new rule introduced in 2017 may leave some players ineligible for the AFL mid-season draft. It is now up to the AFL to decide if they act on this issue and create a loophole in the rules.

All players must have had nominated for last year’s national draft if they want to be drafted mid-season. However, several draft hopefuls believed their previous nomination was valid for three years.

Nominations for the mid-season draft close on Friday 3rd of May and some clubs are annoyed that this little-known rule may affect their draft process and decision-making.

https://www.zerohanger.com/mid-season-draft-players-may-be-ineligible-after-rule-confusion-29157/

HOPEFUL brothers of current AFL stars are among the 219 footballers who have nominated so far for this month's Mid-Season Rookie Draft ahead of Friday's deadline.

That number is as of Thursday night, with AFL.com.au obtaining the latest nominations list that was forwarded to recruiters and football managers.

About 15 players are tipped to join clubs on May 27, after round 10, with a series of one-time AFL footballers bidding for a career lifeline.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/brothers-of-afl-stars-explayers-nominate-for-midseason-draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article from Perth Now talking about the WA players who missed out in last year's national draft.

MARLION PICKETT
Position: Half-back/midfielder

Height: 183cm

Weight: 85kg

Club: South Fremantle

Pickett filled the Bulldogs’ midfield void left by first-year Geelong star Tim Kelly, and he is a huge chance to follow in his footsteps into the AFL. After spending the majority of his WAFL career as a running defender, the speedster’s change of role helped take his game to another level in 2018. Gold Coast, St Kilda and West Coast were among those interested in the 26-year-old during the year.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...uckiest-wa-players-to-miss-out-ng-b881030845z
i dont think he has played a game this year

PAFC Recruiters were keen on Murphy from Claremont last year before he was injured. Started this year well. Also think Byrne from Perth is a good player

Corey Byrne? Looks a big strong type wingman. Has had some big tackling numbers. In the state squad too.

South Australia
Jonathon Beech (West Adelaide), Jack Blair (North Adelaide), Luke Bogle (South Adelaide), Jordon Boyle (Adelaide), Lachlan Burrows (Sturt), Declan Carmody (North Gambier), Oscar Chapman (North Adelaide), Bradley Close (Glenelg), Sam Colquhoun (Sturt), Angus Coxon (Henley), Abe Davis (South Adelaide), Liam Fitt (South Adelaide), Jordan Foote (Woodville-West Torrens), Cory Gregson (Glenelg), Joseph Haines (South Adelaide), Jack Hayes (Woodville-West Torrens), Joshua Hone (Sturt), Lachie Hosie (Glenelg), Daniel Johnston (Norwood), Michael Knoll (South Adelaide), Mihail Lochowiak (Sturt), Jesse Lonergan (Woodville-West Torrens), Marlon Motlop (Glenelg), Hugo Munn (Sturt), Jydon Neagle (Central District), Matt Neagle (Central District), John Noble (West Adelaide), Mark Noble (South Adelaide), Matthew Nunn (Norwood), Luke Partington (Glenelg), Angus Rana (West Adelaide), Thomas Read (Sturt), Hayden Sampson (South Adelaide), Isaac Saywell (Norwood), Will Snelling (West Adelaide), Luke Surman (Norwood), Cameron Sutcliffe (Port Adelaide), Jimmy Toumpas (Woodville-West Torrens), Aidan Tropiano (North Adelaide), Matthew Uebergang (Glenelg)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/midseason-rookie-draft-the-full-list-of-nominees

Thoughts on Matthew Hammelmann? He’s playing for Redland in the NEAFL, seems to be kicking a bag every week just about, took out the league leading goal kicker last year. Ex-Brisbane player, delisted the end of 2017, still only 23 though. Could be a good contingency if Dixon doesn’t come good or if we look to drop Marshall.

I’ve just noticed Mitch Grigg hasn’t nominated

My guess: Port have told him we’re not interested

We’re pretty much his only AFL option, because his father has MND, he doesn’t want to move interstate. Plus there’s rules around re-drafting a previously delisted player, so that rules out the Crows.

But unfortunately for him, we already have too many similar players, with Jack Trengove not getting a game despite racking up 40 disposals a week in the SANFL

I’ve just noticed Mitch Grigg hasn’t nominated

My guess: Port have told him we’re not interested

We’re pretty much his only AFL option, because his father has MND, he doesn’t want to move interstate. Plus there’s rules around re-drafting a previously delisted player, so that rules out the Crows.

But unfortunately for him, we already have too many similar players, with Jack Trengove not getting a game despite racking up 40 disposals a week in the SANFL

Has a successful landscaping business, unless its long term there is no point leaving Norwood, then having nothing to come back to in 2-5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back