Strategy Mid-season draft 2019 / Supplemental Selection Period

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I tuned in for the last 20 minutes. Nice to see a free flowing high scoring game. Wish I’d watched more.

Ben Sokol looked miles ahead of anyone else.

Sokol's a gun. Could possibly play a Brett Ebert type role in the AFL.

How did Bennell go? He's one I've really liked watching over the past two years and almost certain to be on a list come the end of the year if he continues his form.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
The Roar gives their top 6 SA hopes:

Cory Gregson (Glenelg) – 22yo, 175cm, 78kgs – 15 disp, 6.2 tcks, 3.2 i50s, 5 goals, 1 behind

Lachlan Hosie (Glenelg) – 22yo, 189cm, 78kgs – 15 disp, 5.5mks, 2.3 tcks, 16 goals, 6 behind

Jack Hayes (Woodville West-Torrens) – 23-year-old, 194cm, 93kgs – 15.2 disp, 6.7 mks, 3.8 tcks, 12 goals, 13 behinds

Will Snelling (West Adelaide) – 21yo, 175cm, 70kgs – 29.5 disp, 8.7 tcks, 5.8 clearances, 5.2 tcks

Abe Davis (South Adelaide) – 23 yo, 194cm, 99kgs – 21.2 disp, 5.5 mks, 4.2 clearances, 9 goals, 7 behinds

Hugo Munn (Sturt) – 19yo, 197cm, 91kg – 9.3 disp, 3.7 mks, 5.0 HOs, 4 goals

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/05/14/the-sanfl-stars-deserving-of-a-mid-season-opportunity/

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Must admit I did really like Gregson when he was on Geelong's list & felt there was a future at AFL level. With their depth in that area, acquisitions & his injury history missed out on a contract, but I think give him a season or two of uninterrupted footy and he'll be back on a list.

Didn’t think you could take anyone that’s been on your list previously? Or is Colquhoun a joke hehe lel

I think that rule only applies to players who were on your list in the previous season. We'd be free to take him.

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-15/indicative-midseason-rookie-draft-order-your-clubs-picks

CARLTON is in prime position to snare Sam Lowson in the upcoming Mid-Season Rookie Draft, with the Coburg forward considered the most likely to be claimed with the first pick.

As it does during the NAB AFL Draft at the end of the year, the newly introduced mid-season draft order will be decided by a reverse of the ladder order at the conclusion of round 10.

The draft will then unfold on the night of Monday, May 27.

clubs can create additional list spots for the mid-season draft at any stage up until 12.00pm AEST on Monday, May 27 should they suffer a long-term injury or early retirement.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
IN the latest instalment of the Hayden Bunton Jnr Cup between Western Australia and South Australia, the Croweaters defeated the Sandgropers by seven points at Optus Stadium. There was a host of potential mature-age draft prospects putting their hands up for AFL selection for both sides.

Below were the best AFL draft prospects in the game:

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/201...L-Q_e1sqjGsRptDxKnlQYw90gzdzctwMuu7SPOBkCPsD4

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

#1 John Noble
Stationed on the wing, Noble was excellent for South Australia providing speed and class throughout the match. He finished with 24 possessions, five marks, five rebounding 50s, four inside 50s, and four tackles.

#3 William Snelling
The former Port Adelaide player illustrated why he is deserving of another chance at AFL level, with a classy performance against the Sandgropers. He accumulated 19 possessions, laid eight tackles and kicked a goal.

#7 Aidan Tropiano
The 2015 Sandover Medallist was sensational against his native state. He collected a team-high 28 possessions, laid a game-high 11 tackles and recorded four inside 50s to be an influential figure for the Croweaters’ victory.

#15 Jonathon Beech
Playing at centre half-forward, Beech always offered a presence in the attacking half. He gathered 11 possessions, took three marks (one contested), and booted four goals to be one of the best players for South Australia.

#23 Jordan Foote
The former Sydney Swans Academy product was brilliant for South Australia with 24 possessions, six marks, three inside 50s, three rebounding 50s, two tackles and two goals. With such performances, Foote could be headed for a second chance at AFL level.

#33 Michael Knoll
The former basketballer was a deserving winner of the Foss Williams Medal (South Australia’s Best on Ground medal) in the Croweater’s victory over the Sandgropers. He finished with 15 possessions, 31 hitouts, five marks, four tackles and three inside 50s.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Sokol's a gun. Could possibly play a Brett Ebert type role in the AFL.

How did Bennell go? He's one I've really liked watching over the past two years and almost certain to be on a list come the end of the year if he continues his form.
He didn’t do anything in the bit I watched so it was a peasant surprise to see later that he kicked 3.

His conditioning need a lot of work.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
SANFL clubs’ worst mid-season draft fears appear certain to be realised, with Adelaide and Port Adelaide indicating some AFL clubs will stockpile talent for the future rather than look for an immediate list fix.

With less than two weeks before SANFL clubs are exposed — and possibly have their premiership hopes wrecked — to the first AFL mid-season draft since 1993, the Crows and Power say clubs will cast an eye to the future, as much as the present, in deciding whether to add players from another league to their 2019 squads.

“I think that’s the way clubs will approach it,’’ Port general manager of football Chris Davies said.

“I’m sure some clubs will have the future in mind and say, ‘here is a 19-year-old player who we potentially were going to draft last year who we want to get onto our list before the drafts at the end of the year’.

“There will be a balance. You keep hearing that Essendon might be looking for a ruckman (to play now).’

The Power and Crows both have a list spot available following season-ending knee injuries to the untried Jake Patmore and last year’s AFL Rising Star runner-up Tom Doedee respectively.

“We’ve got the opportunity to participate,’’ Davies told ABC Grandstand.

“What we need to weigh up there is financial factors compared with the ability for whoever it is who we might draft to come in and make a difference potentially for the remainder of this season.

“We don’t have a specific need right now, despite the fact that we’ve got a number of injuries.

“We still think that we’ve got a reasonable balance, so we’ll make some of those decisions over the next couple of weeks as to whether we will participate or not.’’

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...l/news-story/b52860d60c89b0cfdf7fdef4349ce17e

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is it to late to get another pick? I dont think watts will make it back this yr if so could get 2 extra young kids in thoughts?

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is it to late to get another pick? I dont think watts will make it back this yr if so could get 2 extra young kids in thoughts?

It isn't to late apparently -

"clubs can create additional list spots for the mid-season draft at any stage up until 12.00pm AEST on Monday, May 27 should they suffer a long-term injury or early retirement".

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like Deluca but this would be crazy when we have Trengove racking up 40 touches a week and unable to get a game.

If we are looking for immediate impact (which wouldn’t be my first choice) it has to be a forward.
We don’t need immediate impact, but we should definitely be looking at a KPP, ideally 195cm+. Get enough talls on the list, that it’s literally impossible for coach #teamtyrion to not pick enough talls each week (the only way it will happen).

Back