List Mgmt. Mid-Season Draft 2021

A better version of Zak Jones (more consistent, more damaging) is the exact player we need.

Someone that can win their own footy, win clearances and break away with speed.
That was pretty much all Byrnes did in his draft highlights. He was blistering breaking away from stoppages. Wouldn’t hurt to have another one of course.

That was pretty much all Byrnes did in his draft highlights. He was blistering breaking away from stoppages. Wouldn’t hurt to have another one of course.

I was on him before we drafted him, he was compared to Jack Steven because he had that pace off a step and loved a goal. Pace in modern footy is so valuable, if he comes on he'll be a great addition. Captained his side too.

Bowey's son was in the bests in the VFL too, should chase him and Weiderman with Melbourne looking so stacked. Players that are too good for VFL will be easy pickings.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep I was a bit fan of Byrnes early in his draft year, exactly what we need if we can back it up. But he's still got a long way to prove he's an AFL mid and as I've said before you can never have enough mids on your list.

Yep I was a bit fan of Byrnes early in his draft year, exactly what we need if we can back it up. But he's still got a long way to prove he's an AFL mid and as I've said before you can never have enough mids on your list.
No arguments from me there, I think I say that in every second post.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm gonna have a look at the Southport game some time this week, but I think till otherwise I'm back on Goober to StKilda.

We don't need a developing ruckman as urgently as we need a proper one to replace Paddy in 6 to 12 months as we try to contend up the top of the ladder.
If we can tick that box in this draft I think we'll have done well..

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
I'm gonna have a look at the Southport game some time this week, but I think till otherwise I'm back on Goober to StKilda.

We don't need a developing ruckman as urgently as we need a proper one to replace Paddy in 6 to 12 months as we try to contend up the top of the ladder.

Tend to agree, we have already tried developing ruck men to no avail, so a tried ruckman would be a better option. Think Goober has that bit of mongrel in him, which makes opposition (no matter who they are) think twice or hesitate a fraction & that’s all it takes to win.

Xxxx66

All Australian
Jul 14, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

You won't be happy, he has trained right off. Looks about 10 kegs heavier and not in a good way. Doesn't look like someone wanting another crack at AFL. Plus there were no cut aways to his mum!

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
You won't be happy, he has trained right off. Looks about 10 kegs heavier and not in a good way. Doesn't look like someone wanting another crack at AFL. Plus there were no cut aways to his mum!
Maybe so, it's all TBD obviously. However we've seen the distance between Paul Hunter and an AFL class ruckman and I don't think the state leagues are a place to find a mature replacement. Like it or not, someone has to develop these guys. And those who slip out of the system tend to do so because they're crap.
Goober is a different case, and if he has the genuine desire it's easy enough to shred some kgs and get going again. It's the closest thing we'll get to having 2 Marshalls
We'll see.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Wouldn't bother with a ruckman at the midyear draft - Rhys Stanley is OOC at the end of the year.

Perfect replacement.The only problem is that Paddy still looks like he has another year left in him.

The Paddy replacement needs to be athletic, forward type not a lumbering Mummy type.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wouldn't bother with a ruckman at the midyear draft - Rhys Stanley is OOC at the end of the year.

Perfect replacement.The only problem is that Paddy still looks like he has another year left in him.

The Paddy replacement needs to be athletic, forward type not a lumbering Mummy type.
So you want to replace the 34yo ruckman with a 31yo ruckman that we'd have to trade for??

I was on him before we drafted him, he was compared to Jack Steven because he had that pace off a step and loved a goal. Pace in modern footy is so valuable, if he comes on he'll be a great addition. Captained his side too.

Bowey's son was in the bests in the VFL too, should chase him and Weiderman with Melbourne looking so stacked. Players that are too good for VFL will be easy pickings.
Are we still paying a part of Stuv’s salary?

every 5-10 years you get a young ruck tipped to go top 5 who slides down the order because they are a ruck. think Grundy/English. given we should be mid to top of the table, we should be in a good position draft wise to fall in the HOT spot for landing someone like that.

we just need to be patient and then pull the trigger when they show up.

in the mean time we have ryder + marshall combo. if ryder pulls the pin win can always attract another ageing ruck with more to give like we did with ryder. ryder could have another 2 seasons in him for all we know!

the other option is we are into darcy who wants to come back to victoria.

Xxxx66

All Australian
Jul 14, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maybe so, it's all TBD obviously. However we've seen the distance between Paul Hunter and an AFL class ruckman and I don't think the state leagues are a place to find a mature replacement. Like it or not, someone has to develop these guys. And those who slip out of the system tend to do so because they're crap.
Goober is a different case, and if he has the genuine desire it's easy enough to shred some kgs and get going again. It's the closest thing we'll get to having 2 Marshalls
We'll see.
I like him. Watching that suns debut game , he looks like he has good speed. If he was keen, he'd be worth a look.

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Talk about carry on. I thought the way you were talking he’d be looking like Michelin Man. Yes he’s not in peak fitness but he’s certainly not in bad shape and he’s still in a state league environment, so would have done a decent pre season. Mumford’s no better. If we did pick him up he’d be doing a mini 3 week pre season and playing at Sandy for the year anyway.
I wouldn’t be playing him at AFL level unless we absolutely had to.

Xxxx66

All Australian
Jul 14, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Talk about carry on. I thought the way you were talking he’d be looking like Michelin Man. Yes he’s not in peak fitness but he’s certainly not in bad shape and he’s still in a state league environment, so would have done a decent pre season. Mumford’s no better. If we did pick him up he’d be doing a mini 3 week pre season and playing at Sandy for the year anyway.
I wouldn’t be playing him at AFL level unless we absolutely had to.
Where did I say he was a michelan man? I just said 10kg's (over 198 cm)

Back