List Mgmt. Mid-Season Draft 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that Steele is out for 8 weeks . We might use the the mid season draft for 2 players.

Its hard to find 2 that will help us.
Some of the best midfielders available include.... Ed Phillips, Trudgeon?

Goober playing allright for Southport , and apparently likes a bit of rough play against Geelong.

In other sad news. Looks like Nath is giving up on playing.

Do we actually have any list spots open or are we only using LTI vacancies?

As far as l can tell we only have 2 sure fire delistings in Gears and Hanners.
Kent is probably toast also but you'd think Paddy would be kept on if possible and Joyce is our only backup and would demand a like for like replacement.

Of course we should use the opportunity to have a look at another player, but he'll have to be pretty friggn good to keep a spot.

Do we actually have any list spots open or are we only using LTI vacancies?

As far as l can tell we only have 2 sure fire delistings in Gears and Hanners.
Kent is probably toast also but you'd think Paddy would be kept on if possible and Joyce is our only backup and would demand a like for like replacement.

Of course we should use the opportunity to have a look at another player, but he'll have to be pretty friggn good to keep a spot.
You can get them on a 6 month contract like we did with Sharman. Give them an opportunity to prove themselves and if they are worth it we can find a spot for them

Its hard to find 2 that will help us.
Some of the best midfielders available include.... Ed Phillips, Trudgeon?

Goober playing allright for Southport , and apparently likes a bit of rough play against Geelong.

In other sad news. Looks like Nath is giving up on playing.
Have you seen Goober this season?

Looks like all he did was eat pies for pre season training. No way anyone goes after him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should we look at it as intended, and draft an "emergency break glass " type.
Or just try to pick up a good kid who was missed in the draft.

From a depth point of view , outside our normal playing list we have.
A tall defender and a developing tall defender.
A ruck and a developing ruck.
2 small defenders (Geary and Connolly ).
a couple of medium defenders.
Byrnes , Bytel, Windy, and Owns who should be able to play mid.
Not sure we'd find a tall forward that would be better than one of our rucks.

Wouldn't mind if we could find a small forward. Butler, Higgins, Long and Geary isn't enormous depth.

Should we look at it as intended, and draft an "emergency break glass " type.

No. While we are going well this year, the main game for me is still 2023 and beyond and so we still need to add some more quality to our list. Or at least with our first pick if we have two live picks.

Last year getting Heath and Sharman were two excellent pick ups and so I would hope that we could do likewise.
Or just try to pick up a good kid who was missed in the draft.

As per my point above we should grab the best young to medium aged player/s available. They could be someone overlooked in the last draft or a late bloomer as well.

The lack of football during Covid probably provides good potential this MSD to find players that Covid obscured.
From a depth point of view , outside our normal playing list we have.
A tall defender and a developing tall defender.
A ruck and a developing ruck.
2 small defenders (Geary and Connolly ).
a couple of medium defenders.
Byrnes , Bytel, Windy, and Owns who should be able to play mid.
Not sure we'd find a tall forward that would be better than one of our rucks.

Wouldn't mind if we could find a small forward. Butler, Higgins, Long and Geary isn't enormous depth.

As per above rather than focussing on a particular position I would just goo for best available talent.

If they were to go for a "ready made" positional selection I would probably go for genuine a tall defender for if Howard goes down we could have a real problem down back.

With all of our other positions I think we have ok coverage and depth, and so little would be gained with gaining just depth player for them.

Best available
Best available
Best available

Our midfield has gone from Jack Steele and sometimes Jones and Dunny with a few remoras chasing them around, to having Crouch and Ross pretty close to Steele and Gresham looking like another A grader and a few in development still. Midfield was a disaster and now it looks like a very solid line.

I think a second tall forward and maybe a gun small forward or ruck/ forward would also be handy now. Another fill in mid might be good but not like a desperation situation like the last few years.

Our midfield has gone from Jack Steele and sometimes Jones and Dunny with a few remoras chasing them around, to having Crouch and Ross pretty close to Steele and Gresham looking like another A grader and a few in development still. Midfield was a disaster and now it looks like a very solid line.

I think a second tall forward and maybe a gun small forward or ruck/ forward would also be handy now. Another fill in mid might be good but not like a desperation situation like the last few years.
I think a key defender would be great, one completely ready to play. If not then this is the time to go speculative lottery picks like Sharman. Ones who have promise and might be great

I think a key defender would be great, one completely ready to play. If not then this is the time to go speculative lottery picks like Sharman. Ones who have promise and might be great

Our backline looks pretty good so is it as a back up?

Our backline looks pretty good so is it as a back up?
back up yep. but needs to be ready to go unlike Adams who's a in a couple years prospect. Sam Collins type. Picked up as one of those extra pre season players and ended up winning their best and fairest a couple years later as well as being their best defender.

Fraser Thurlow the South Port big ruck that is keeping Crossley out of the ruck looks pretty good.

Will Hayes from Bulldogs and Carlton VFL if we wanted a short term mid who could plug and play. He was behind the Dogs midfield and averages just under 32 disposals over 6 games and is from Hayes racing family.

michael voss stated that his won't be in the mid season draft
Was just on Footy Classified. I thought they said that Carlton wouldn’t be picking him up. Not that he wasn’t available for the mid-season draft.

I don't care at all.
The publicize guys will be gone so it'll be another pick from the clouds like Sharman was.
We also have a pretty good looking squad these days. So much so that l expect after this years nat draft we won't have anyone l actively want delisted.

I don't care at all.
The publicize guys will be gone so it'll be another pick from the clouds like Sharman was.
We also have a pretty good looking squad these days. So much so that l expect after this years nat draft we won't have anyone l actively want delisted.
I want to go “who the *?” And then be shocked when that bloke then plays 4 weeks later and polls brownlow votes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back