Unofficial Preview Mid Season Draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints have been linked to Max Hall from Box Hill. You guys would know more than me but what's he like as a player? My niece could get a game in our on-ball brigade at the minute so hopefully he fits in the midfield?
Haven't you guys got some silly agreement to only select players from Sandringham in the MSD? Pretty sure I saw or read this somewhere.

When is this happening?

It would be a nice story if we were to pick up Max Hall.

would be a great story, but think there are better options at our pick. His rounds 4, 5 and 6 work was outstanding. If he puts a season like that together he will be on an AFL list at some point you'd think.

FFS, Richmond has 63+ page thread on MSD, not much differen in other club boards. Lots of them are very invested.

I see Box Hill player Remy Maclean being mentioned as linked to Richmond and he was on the medicals list, so there is some interest.

I feel like we need to take punts on X factor players and cut of we don't see big potential in 6 months. Frank Skelzy(??) seems to be such a player but don't mind Noah Howes too. Seems to have played in Ruck, Defense and forward in this game.

But would be happy with Falcons player Will Maclachlan or the Pies fwd( Hutchinson?) kicking bags earlier
Howes seems likely to be taken in the upcoming mid season draft by a team looking to bolster their key position stocks. He played in the opening champs game on the weekend and showed some of his talent, although his marking was a little off on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS, Richmond has 63+ page thread on MSD, not much differen in other club boards. Lots of them are very invested.

I see Box Hill player Remy Maclean being mentioned as linked to Richmond and he was on the medicals list, so there is some interest.

I feel like we need to take punts on X factor players and cut of we don't see big potential in 6 months. Frank Skelzy(??) seems to be such a player but don't mind Noah Howes too. Seems to have played in Ruck, Defense and forward in this game.

But would be happy with Falcons player Will Maclachlan or the Pies fwd( Hutchinson?) kicking bags earlier
Agree.

View attachment 2003329MacLean at training last Thursday.

As per this media article Maclean has nominated a 18 month contract

Tasmanian youngster Geordie Payne is the popular pick among AFL recruiters to be the first name called out in the mid-season rookie draft on Wednesday night – but there is less certainty after that.

Payne was rated a decent chance to find an AFL home in last year’s national draft after winning Tasmania’s best and fairest award but instead missed out altogether.

That will change this week, with the 18-year-old’s strong form line for the Devils this year making him a surefire selection, almost certainly at No.1 to North Melbourne.

Payne nominated for an 18-month contract rather than six months. Ex-Power ruckman Brynn Teakle, who has interest from multiple clubs including Richmond, and Box Hill Hawks midfielder Max Hall have also asked for a longer deal.

The Tigers just lost Sam Naismith to a fourth ACL rupture after trading Ivan Soldo to Port Adelaide last year, with Samson Ryan backing up captain Toby Nankervis in the ruck at the weekend.
They are also keeping an eye on Hawthorn’s Next Generation Academy big man Iliro Smit, who has interest from St Kilda as well. West Perth key forward Jasper Scaife is the other player linked to the Roos, but is more likely to slide down the order, with Richmond tipped to pick Collingwood VFL forward Jack Hutchinson or Peel Thunder intercept defender Jacob Blight.

Woodville-West Torrens rebounding defender Luke Beecken is in West Coast’s sights, although they are a potential landing spot for Hutchinson, if he makes it past the Tigers.
Hall looks bound for the Saints, who opted not to pick Old Brighton defender Max Benier for Sandringham at the weekend, meaning he is ineligible to be selected in the mid-season draft after playing only two VFL games.

Ex-Giant Daniel Lloyd is in the same situation as Benier despite the Brisbane Lions, where he is a development coach, being keen to draft him. An AFL spokesperson told this masthead there would not be any exemptions to the three-match state league qualification.
Scaife, Blight, Beecken, 196-centimetre Eastern Ranges forward Remy Maclean – who is also on the Box Hill list – Smit and Geelong Falcons forward Will McLachlan are among the possibilities at Hawthorn’s No.5 pick.
Maclean has kicked 12 goals in seven matches this year, and is another
who nominated for an 18-month contract.

Haven't you guys got some silly agreement to only select players from Sandringham in the MSD? Pretty sure I saw or read this somewhere.

There is an agreement to take a player from Sandi, bit it was never linked to the MSD.

I can't see us passing up a proven talent (Hutchinson, McLachlan, or Hall) if available for a speculative tall. Our perceived lack of KPP depth is overstated, in my opinion. However, if we were to address it, I believe it would be via the National Draft.

I think there's 3 options for us, in order of what I think the club will pick imo, there's no kpp I would pick except maybe a developing ruck and we don't need that atm.

1.Luke Beecken 23, 184cm outside player with good run and can kick a long goal, averages low 20s in the sanfl for WWT apparently our recruiters have watched him a bit, an aggressive winger could be a good option, our recruiters love a speedy type

2.Will McLachlan 19, 185cm forw, knows how to find space, great mark for his size, averages 4.5 goals a game this year, perfect prospect for when Breust, Gunston and Wingard move on

3.Max Hall 22, 180cm competitive midfielder, he can do some special things like 1 hand pick up at full pace, kicking difficult goals or winning a contest he has no right to win, I believe the Saints will pick him before us, but I think he's our 3rd choice anyway from my pov.

I would be happy with any of these 3

Guesstimate at picks...
North - Payne
Rich - McLean
WCE - Blight
St Kilda - Hall
Haw - Beecken/McLachlan

Last edited:
I think there's 3 options for us, in order of what I think the club will pick imo, there's no kpp I would pick except maybe a developing ruck and we don't need that atm.

1.Luke Beecken 23, 184cm outside player with good run and can kick a long goal, averages low 20s in the sanfl for WWT apparently our recruiters have watched him a bit, an aggressive winger could be a good option, our recruiters love a speedy type

2.Will McLachlan 19, 185cm forw, knows how to find space, great mark for his size, averages 4.5 goals a game this year, perfect prospect for when Breust, Gunston and Wingard move on

3.Max Hall 22, 180cm competitive midfielder, he can do some special things like 1 hand pick up at full pace, kicking difficult goals or winning a contest he has no right to win, I believe the Saints will pick him before us, but I think he's our 3rd choice anyway from my pov.
I am not sure Max is a priority for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back