Mid-season Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been saying all along that Timmy is not a CHF and we are playing him out of position. He is more of a 6th tall type. When given that role he will be a solid AFL player and start taking marks when he gets two clean hands to it.
Personally I think he’s our 23rd tall type…I jest, but surely unless he plays the next 11 games and kills it, he’s out.

Gotta be...though I'm sure he has some trade value to someone out there...

i would be really surprised if we straight up delisted Tim unless we change coaches tbh

I reckon they'll hold onto him for a year to help out the younger guys. Depends what happens with Gunston i guess

The doubt on Jackson Callow being drafted was whether his style of game would translate to the AFL. The Hawks now get the chance to find out for the cost of a spot in 11 irrelevant games. He will either be a home run or a strike out, I don’t see anything in-between. Either way, it has cost us nothing and we will KNOW.

I hope we play him after the bye and for as many games as as possible after that. Try him at full forward and at full back.

What an Excellent selection.

That's not the Hawthorn way.
We will give him time at BH to develop in to the type of player we want.
Our recruiting team obviously know his strengths and weaknesses and think there is something there to work with.
Unless he is a complete dud at BH, then he will be given time.

Good luck to the lad
May his reign be long and glorious

So was the 4 year condition a ruse to make other clubs think we were interested in Moyle and/or flush out which other clubs were seriously interested in Jai?
Either:

a) it was to scare off other clubs so we can nab him with our second pick, after selecting Moyle. However, we realised that Newcombe was considered so highly by other clubs too, that they'd meet his conditions, forcing us to act.

b) it was to scare off the Kangaroos who had an earlier pick, despite the Kangas 'committing' to Edwards early on - worse things have happened in AFL footy.

P.S. the reporters on AFL.com revealed that Newcombes term condition was a 2 year deal, plus the remainder of this year. Not 4 years (or 3.5) as reported by others. I would have thought this detail would have been available for all to see?

P.S. the reporters on AFL.com revealed that Newcombes term condition was a 2 year deal, plus the remainder of this year. Not 4 years (or 3.5) as reported by others. I would have thought this detail would have been available for all to see?
and, after his 150k+ payday next year, basically on minimum chips the final year

and, after his 150k+ payday next year, basically on minimum chips the final year

Correct, first two years are 150k and then back to rookie wages for the final year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a reminder we could have taken callow in the psd but didnt. He trained with us in the pre season. Jai looks good at box hill hopefully he brings that aggression to the senior side soon
Been Playing with Poppy ...might have learnt enough and beeen worded up on how to go about it. Sure looks like it...

i would be really surprised if we straight up delisted Tim unless we change coaches tbh

I reckon they'll hold onto him for a year to help out the younger guys. Depends what happens with Gunston i guess

Hes our most flexible player since Roughy. Maybe a bit behind Jack

Either:

a) it was to scare off other clubs so we can nab him with our second pick, after selecting Moyle. However, we realised that Newcombe was considered so highly by other clubs too, that they'd meet his conditions, forcing us to act.

b) it was to scare off the Kangaroos who had an earlier pick, despite the Kangas 'committing' to Edwards early on - worse things have happened in AFL footy.

Is it to do with our minimum salary cap maybe?

Great read. Thanks for the post.

Tiny snippet...

BEST SELECTIONS
Leading the SANFL in contested marks, 18-year-old Jackson Callow is a rare case of a ready-made key position player for his age and is arguably the bargain of the Mid-Season Draft. He is a key forward who impacts games every time he gets near the ball, either marking strongly, bringing the ball to ground, crashing packs, or setting up teammates for scoring opportunities.

More to read in the artcle...

CALLOW!

You have hit the Nail on the Head.. and this is what I read between the lines... written in (Bold):
“Hawthorn National Recruitment and List Manager Mark McKenzie says while building greater midfield (Jai) and forward depth (Callow) is high on the priority list, the club will be taking a 'talent first' approach.” (Moyle)
It turns out what McKenzie meant was:
“Hawthorn National Recruitment and List Manager Mark McKenzie says while building greater midfield (Jai) and forward depth (Callow) is high on the priority list, the club will be taking a 'talent first' approach.” (Edwards)

This edit makes much more sense. Edwards was always the “talent”.

Missed it by > < that much. 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Back