Mid-season Draft - Wed, 1 June 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've played against Kim Kantilla and seen a lot of him in the NTFL.

Certainly a talented player and I'd say that AFL is not out of the question, but I think I'd like to see some more sustained form at SANFL level before committing to him.

He has certainly made a positive start at South Adelaide.
How do you compare his NTFL form to MJ's when he was playing for St Mary's?

How do you compare his NTFL form to MJ's when he was playing for St Mary's?

Just too hard to compare given the age differences.

A 17-year-old MRJ looked an exciting talent kicking a couple of goals and applying great defensive pressure in the forward-line for St Marys.

An early-20s Kantilla is one of the NTFL's better small-to-medium sized forwards.

Im a Kantilla fan

Imagine this forward line going into the 2022 finals

Bolton Riewoldt Lambert
M.Rioli Lynch Kantilla

Bolton Rioli and Kantilla applying pressure would cause mayhem for opposition defences.

Id be disappointed if we draft an inside mid thats either slow soft or under 195cm

Slow isn't really the issue if they are smart and strong etc.

Soft...well is an mid even an INSIDE player if they're soft? Probably more outside mid then I'd think.

As for the height haha well not everyone is Patrick Cripps!

Slow isn't really the issue if they are smart and strong etc.

Soft...well is an mid even an INSIDE player if they're soft? Probably more outside mid then I'd think.

As for the height haha well not everyone is Patrick Cripps!
Slow is definitely and issue , Not many slow players make it at the level only the elite
your not finding an elite player in the MSD this year

Slow is definitely and issue , Not many slow players make it at the level only the elite
your not finding an elite player in the MSD this year

Several slow players make it at the top level if they have other tools.

Plenty have fallen through the cracks also.

Matt Priddis - rookie
Ben Rutten - rookie
Sam Mitchell - undrafted 2000, pick 36 2001
Daniel Cross - pick 56 (4th round!)
Greg Williams - drafted at 21
Nick Maxwell - rookie

Not saying there's another one in THIS mid-season draft, but clearly there are good yet slow players who aren't first round national draft picks...

Several slow players make it at the top level if they have other tools.

Plenty have fallen through the cracks also.

Matt Priddis - rookie
Ben Rutten - rookie
Sam Mitchell - undrafted 2000, pick 36 2001
Daniel Cross - pick 56 (4th round!)
Greg Williams - drafted at 21
Nick Maxwell - rookie

Not saying there's another one in THIS mid-season draft, but clearly there are good yet slow players who aren't first round national draft picks...

To get a starting AFL mid for Richmond in the MSD a player has to have gone from not being worth a rookie spot to being in roughly the best 120 players in the AFL within 9 matches or so. And then they will need to avoid being selected by at least 10 other clubs before they get to us…

I don’t think so Andyy, I am sorry to say. The MSD is where you pick up developing tall players, or mature role players or a promising kid that you role the dice on being a decent AFL player in a few years time.

Success stories so far are Pickett, Noble, Snelling, Durham, Gardner, Newcombe(pick 2). From 30 odd picks. Some of the taller guys will come on but only one of those listed looks like being an AFL mid, Newcombe, and we won’t get near a Jai Newcombe in this draft with our pick, if there is one available.

I doubt we will be targetting an inside midfielder somehow.

To get a starting AFL mid for Richmond in the MSD a player has to have gone from not being worth a rookie spot to being in roughly the best 120 players in the AFL within 9 matches or so. And then they will need to avoid being selected by at least 10 other clubs before they get to us…

I don’t think so Andyy, I am sorry to say. The MSD is where you pick up developing tall players, or mature role players or a promising kid that you role the dice on being a decent AFL player in a few years time.

Success stories so far are Pickett, Noble, Snelling, Durham, Gardner, Newcombe(pick 2). From 30 odd picks. Some of the taller guys will come on but only one of those listed looks like being an AFL mid, Newcombe, and we won’t get near a Jai Newcombe in this draft with our pick, if there is one available.

I doubt we will be targetting an inside midfielder somehow.

In short, out of hundreds of 2nd tier players, several dozen of which are nominating, you don't think there's a single inside midfielder that could get a game at a middling club?

You may well be right but I guess I'm hoping for a diamond in the rough. Recruiting of late has been solid despite not targeting some of the areas I think we are weak in (key forward, mids).

In short, out of hundreds of 2nd tier players, several dozen of which are nominating, you don't think there's a single inside midfielder that could get a game at a middling club?

You may well be right but I guess I'm hoping for a diamond in the rough. Recruiting of late has been solid despite not targeting some of the areas I think we are weak in (key forward, mids).

There is no doubt we could use a quality big bodied mid. But yes, I think the sort of player you are hoping for would have to be in the best 50-60 inside mids in the AFL, and therefore in the best 100-120 players. And that would have to be after not having been rated in the best 800 odd footballers as of lists being finalised for 2022.

It would be some get with pick 10-12 in the mid-season draft. There is not even likely to be a single inside mid player who could get a game for Eagles or North Melbourne’s best team, let alone ours. But it is possible there is one or two those clubs could get their hands on I guess. 8-10 picks later….Kyle Dunkley was an attempt to get an inside mid this way, in fact the other 2 players picked in the top 3 in the 2019 renewal of this draft, Deluca and Riordan were also inside mids. All 3 rapidly vanished into obscurity.

So any inside mid who looks a chance goes in the top few picks and of the few who have been tried only Newcombe has got anywhere at all.

It would be nice but seems highly unlikely. Caddy possibly retired in time to suggest we might not have had a single player in mind but rather it gave us time to have a look at a range of guys, knowing of course any single player could be gone before we get a pick. I think we will likely take another practical pick looking for a flawed role player(like a Matt Parker) a secondary key position type(Tylar Young) or perhaps a talented young player or a project player, probably not a ruck if the club is expecting Colina to arrive soon. Given to the best of my knowledge we have added Baker, Stack, Pickett, Parker, Mansell, Aarts with 6 of our last 7 attempts to take an undrafted player - the other was Mav Weller - we have done brilliantly by not shooting too high and just mainly aiming for brave players who can fill peripheral roles for us. Stack would be the one exception given his much higher ceiling but the club mainly goes for the unfashionable type with these picks. So expect some midget small forward or undersized key position player or brave player with sub par skills or something along those lines I think.

I am pretty sure we will be after Tom Green or someone like that to address our midfield needs.

Interesting kid is highly rated this year in nab games would be a good pickup, but is he a pure midfielder or half back.
Grown up just a pure mid....

The move to half back has been to add to his defensive side in an effort to get him drafted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mail I got is we are really keen on Massimo D'Ambrossio...

just whether he is still on the board or not

He was mentioned a few weeks back but is likely to go before ours. Saw him early this year and was impressed. We'll get another look at him tomorrow at the G
Richmond VFL's Round 9 team v Essendon, Saturday, May 21, 2.45pm, MCG

Do Bombers have a pick before ours, am sure they will want the same player.
Carrying a fair bit of the 'I wanna be like the Tigers syndrome' poor Bombers

Nah apparently its based of last years draft so ours is higher
This article written ten or so days ago suggests the draft order may not be know until the week of the weekend prior to June 1st

The players selected from 2021 have been moderatly successful, though I think it was brought about initially for Clubs to select players that were ready to go in the weeks and months ahead, rather than years ahead. As we know, in Club land if you given then millimeter they will take a kilometer!!!!!!! No such think as spirit of the intention when winning is at stake.

It should be a lottery. Would make it far more interesting especially in the event of a top 8 side looking to push on has to weigh up between a more experienced player who could help right away or a 19 year old KPP who is years off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back