List Mgmt. Mid-Season Draft - Who do we take?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know, damaged goods and all, but would we consider taking Sam Colquhoun? He's a good age now (24) and seemingly completely over his knee issues. Racks up plenty of the ball and has AFL experience. Leading the SANFL in marks and second for disposals so far this year.

I know we're all thinking a tall player with the loss of Doedee, but I'm more thinking that our fringe players are all mostly mid-sized players (Knight, Gallucci, Murphy, Atkins, Jones, etc) and there's an opportunity there. If we select a tall, unless they're going to step in and replace Kelly or Hartigan, there's not much point.
Why would we take Sturt's Sam Colquhoun when we have Paddy Wilson who is an all round superior player (I like sam and he is a very decent player who I see live most weeks but wilson has more strengths to his game and we already have him and don't play him). I just can't see any benefit for the crows this year and not only that, it will be a hammer blow to Sturt's season

https://sturtfc.com.au/player/lachlan-burrows/

What can you tell me about this lad, I see he's made the SA U18 Squad as an over ager for the Nationals and is certainly a nice size for a KPP.

I understand he was a highly rated Decathlete as a junior before turning to footy.

Bicks I watched him play some Hills football last year. He won a Grand Final in the Uraidla under 18s side. He was in the best couple of players on the ground in the grand final rucking. He's a huge athletic lads who can run all day, got springs and is courageous in the air. Lacks polish as he is newish to football formally being a decathlete but still improving. He will improve more than most kids over the next few years just from being in a strong system and learning more about the game but currently not ready.

I'm not really knowledgeable enough about the SANFL to name players. But surely there are some that have more potential than just having an empty spot on the list?

Technically the Crows don't have an "empty spot on the list".
To get a player in, we'd have to move Doedee onto a long-term injury list indicating that he wouldn't play again this season.
Adelaide don't necessarily need to take anyone, unless there was someone setting the SANFL on fire that we couldn't ignore, or were scared of losing access to before the November drafts.
There were some teams that went into this season a rookie player short, and have lost players to injury along the way.
In previous years there have been some teams that had lost 2 or 3 ruckman by the halfway point of the season.
The SSP period leading into the start of season has had more impact on helping clubs with list management than this mid-season draft should, Carlton for example would be in even more trouble if there had been no SSP or mid-season draft this year.

true..but there should not even be an option to nominate as there never ever should be a mid season draft..ever
No, * that. This is a player's career and livelihood, one they only have a decade of. They should get every chance to maximize their personal success.

Last edited:
Also - remember that we really only have three decent draft picks this offseason, and probably six or more players who could be going.

This allows us another spot for a rookie level player, who we may want to upgrade in the future. It's a way of replenishing the list, when we don't have that many picks.

Don't draft for immediate impact.

Draft to get a look at someone you may want to keep next year.
I posted the link to the players that have nominated, give us a couple of names, if they're Victorians or SA lads I will have seen most of them play quite a few times, at least those that might have serious prospects of being picked up anyhow. Bearing in mind we overlooked all of them in last year's National and Rookie draft.

What type of player do you see as a real list need?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My pick would be Marlion Pickett.

Has the talent, athleticism and size. Perfect age to make an immediate impact and if he doesn't, no loss.

Look at our team now and what do we need? I think we need more depth in decent sized line breakers with pace who can play defence or mid.

I don't think we will be picking anybody to fill any holes, I think their fitness base will be too far back from where we need them to be if they are going to make us a better side. I think we will be looking for next years McAdam or Tim Kelly. Blokes who we think we think will be taken in the national draft at the end of the year. Get our hands on them first and trade them if we don't nee them on our list next year.

I don't think we will be picking anybody to fill any holes, I think their fitness base will be too far back from where we need them to be if they are going to make us a better side. I think we will be looking for next years McAdam or Tim Kelly. Blokes who we think we think will be taken in the national draft at the end of the year. Get our hands on them first and trade them if we don't nee them on our list next year.
My understanding is we can't trade them unless we also contract them for 2020 as well?

I think those here stating that this is rough on the sanfl/vfl/wafl etc clubs should really think less about the clubs (who will go on regardless) and more about the individual athletes..

This is, for these guys, their current chosen career path and they should be provided with every single opportunity possible to reach the top of their careers..

If they are good enough to get drafted in the up and coming mid season draft, and make it onto an AFL club list, then they deserve to be given that opportunity not held back from it simply because some second or third tier competition based club might be disadvantaged..

^Spot on

Would Sturt really begrudge Sam Colquhoun getting another chance?

A kid who did his knee and lost his AFL contract, then chose to play at our club after that, played a key role in helping us win a premiership...

Extremely selfish IMO to try to hold him back. Should go with our blessing.

^Spot on

Would Sturt really begrudge Sam Colquhoun getting another chance?

A kid who did his knee and lost his AFL contract, then chose to play at our club after that, played a key role in helping us win a premiership...

Extremely selfish IMO to try to hold him back. Should go with our blessing.

I agree, though state league clubs should get some sort of financial reimbursement.

I agree, though state league clubs should get some sort of financial reimbursement.
Money can't replace a key player mid season especially in a Premiership contending team.

Edit : And let's not forget every one of these players was available to AFL clubs via the National and Rookie Draft less than 6 months ago but were overlooked.

Money can't replace a key player mid season especially in a Premiership contending team.

They can poach players from amateur/country leagues mid-year though. Norwood did it to my club - the bloke ended up playing in two flags.

Not as rare as losing a player to a midseason AFL draft will be

Centrals poached a ruckman from the country during their premiership dynasty from memory

Yep, Buckets McKenzie.

Quality player too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back