List Mgmt. Mid-Season Draft - Who do we take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Some talk that we may not use our selection, but I think we need to. We have a free hit at possibly finding a diamond-in-the-rough, so just do it. If we end up picking a spud, who cares, see you later.

Some talk that we may not use our selection, but I think we need to. We have a free hit at possibly finding a diamond-in-the-rough, so just do it. If we end up picking a spud, who cares, see you later.

It wouldn’t surprise if we didn’t.

Certainly Reid has made it known that we weren’t keen on the idea of a mid season draft, for the impact it would have on local clubs. It will depend on Hamish and if there’s anyone he’d like to get his hands on before the National draft later in the year.

Hibberds an interesting one, I was keen in his draft year but has struggled with injury since. Does anyone know how he’s been going since being delisted?

It wouldn’t surprise if we didn’t.

Certainly Reid has made it known that we weren’t keen on the idea of a mid season draft, for the impact it would have on local clubs. It will depend on Hamish and if there’s anyone he’d like to get his hands on before the National draft later in the year.

Hibberds an interesting one, I was keen in his draft year but has struggled with injury since. Does anyone know how he’s been going since being delisted?
Going along very nicely for the Seagulls in the VFL including a couple of B.O.G.'s this season after a showing good VFL form for the Kangas last year, would appear to be over his shoulder issues that have dogged him right back to the U18's, also had a knee reco in 2013 that kept him out of the 2014 draft. Seems like a very resilient lad, midfield/running back that has elite endurance, good pace, a raking kick and is a nice size at around 191cm 90kegs. He is one player that would definitely be a plug and play type.....one of the better options along with lightning quick 19 Y.O. outside mid/wing/half back Daly Andrews who also has a very penetrating kick and solidly built, athletic 19 Y.O. 200cm Murray Bushrangers Ruck/KPD Ben Kelly

http://websites.sportstg.com/team_i...nt=1-118-10459-518179-25836200&ocompID=518179

Bicks

Thoughts on Frank Anderson?

From suburban footy to centre-stage: Ball-winner's blistering rise - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-25/from-suburban-footy-to-centrestage-ballwinners-blistering-rise
Can't help you, can't say I ever noticed him playing for Eastern Ranges as the article mentioned him being cut by them so maybe he never suited up with them, would have come through in the same crop of Easter Ranges players as Jordan Gallucci....the Eastern Ranges players from around that time usually caught my eye were Jaidyn Stephenson and Josh Begley [Essendon]. This Anderson lad has been playing for the Carlton VFL team the Northern Blues and with them having Pick 1 in the MS draft you would think if he's been that impressive he'll be going to them.

Bicks, Jeffcrowe & Danger in Texas any interest in Mitch Riordan (Dandenong)? We were linked to him, along with Sydney, for the midseason draft according to one of the afl articles.

I agree. We're pushing towards a rebuild, so a diamond in the rough type could be one of those things that could help. Especially in a perhiperal position.

I’m pretty sure we moved Doedee onto the long term injury list the other day to free up another spot before the mid season draft... I also believe we already had one spot free anyway so now we have two..

Seems weird we would bother doing that if we weren’t taking anyone....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list is quite balanced, we just need to have a look at what we have.

From the SANFL i can't see anyone worth bothering with, given we have close to the best side. Can't comment too much on any other leagues

Our list is quite balanced, we just need to have a look at what we have.

From the SANFL i can't see anyone worth bothering with, given we have close to the best side. Can't comment too much on any other leagues

I'd be very inclined to really go for a high ceiling/low floor type in this draft. As you said, the list is balanced, and we've got a good amount of promising prospects coming through. Could do with a developing big bodied midfielder as a CEY replacement when he inevitably downturns in performance, get traded at seasons end, or upgraded in 2-3 seasons would be where my thoughts would be.

Daly Andrews for me if anyone, probably gets drafted last year bar for doing a hamstring early in his 1st game at the U18 Championships and not getting the chance to showcase his talents against the best of the bests.

Lightning quick outside mid/wing/running half back/line breaker with an ultra penetrating kick that plays with plenty of dare.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...s/news-story/75bd0fcd3e447ea3145b32cc8a22e86b

1558921090006.png

After surprisingly being overlooked at last year’s draft, Western Jets midfielder Daly Andrews could be set for a second chance.
The 19-year-old has had an outstanding season as an over-age player in the NAB League and has attracted plenty of interest ahead of the AFL mid-season draft.
Andrews earned an invite to a pre-draft medical screening, which requires clubs to nominate players of interest.
Playing predominantly as an outside midfielder last year, Andrews earned a Vic Metro call-up before injury struck in the national championships.
The Werribee Districts product was invited to the AFL Draft Combine but didn’t hear his name at the national or rookie draft.
Western Jets talent manager Luke Williams said there was plenty to like about the 183cm midfielder.
“He came into the Western Jets program last year, which is traditionally a little late,” he said.
“We were able to bring him back this year as a 19-year-old and during pre-season he really grew as a leader and has become a really important part of our team.
“He played as an outside midfielder last year but for his development we’ve played him as an inside midfielder.
“That’s what’s generated AFL interest, they can see he’s someone who’s coachable and has still has a lot of room for improvement. He’s a really nice mover, carries the ball well and breaks the lines.”
Andrews has averaged 16 disposals and four tackles in six games this season and showcased his talent in the Jets’ loss to leaders Dandenong in Round 7.
Training with Williamstown as he looks to further his development could also benefit Andrew’s draft hopes with Seagull Mitch Hibberd also invited to the medical screening.
Williams said missing out on being drafted and Andrews’ growing leadership were characteristics AFL recruiters were looking for.
“We were beaten by the top team Dandenong last week but he showed his leadership and maturity,” he said.
“It’s a good reflection on his character, he’s had some setbacks, missing out at the Western Jets as a bottom-ager but also having so much interest in the draft last year and not getting picked.
“He’s bounced back and it shows he plays the game for the right reasons.”

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure we moved Doedee onto the long term injury list the other day to free up another spot before the mid season draft... I also believe we already had one spot free anyway so now we have two..

Seems weird we would bother doing that if we weren’t taking anyone....
Pretty sure we would have a list of "draftable" players. The list might run x number of players long where x could be well before our pick. I don't think we will take anyone just for the sake of making a pick.

I do think that if the player we think is is worth taking is there, we will pick him. I don't expect us to pick any of the mature age players that can supposedly help us now. I think we will be looking for the long term, similar to how we picked up Jordon Butts. A young player who was overlooked in previous draft but is worth taking a look at because he had a good season. I suspect we are in the market for 19-21 year olds who think we can develop into a long term player for us. I don't think the position would come into it too much. We might put a bit more value on local SANFL talent just because of the easier logistics but we wouldn't be ruling out the interstate players just on that alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back