Preview Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't clubs get preferential drafting of players that they rookie? Should have tried to get another couple of prospects on the books. Daw and Jacobs should be Season over injuries. Nobody knows what is wrong with Jacobs and may never play again, Daw shouldn't be rushed back for our dud root of a season.
Why did clubs pass? Surely it's a free hit.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

$50,000 for a few months to a player who in all honesty will probably be lucky to get a handfull of touches in your reserves.
A total of 70k if they don't get another contract. Clubs would be thinking about their salary cap as well.

The notion that the mid-season draft isn’t a good idea is one that has been aired several times before with no one listening, so here is another notion that no one is likely to listen to but which makes a fair bit more sense — scrap the mid-season draft in favour of mid-season club-to-club trading. They cannot trade draft picks, just players.
The classic example of how this could work is with Sydney ruck-forward Darcy Cameron, who cannot get a look in at the Swans. Several clubs, including Greater Western Sydney, North Melbourne, Essendon and Adelaide, have expressed interest in the 205cm WA product, who is still just 23.
All a club that wants him would have to offer Sydney is something worthwhile in return.
This would free up player movement and help solve short-term list issues. By keeping it player to player and excluding draft picks, you would also guard against clubs selling the farm to others in flag contention, which shapes as a threat to the integrity of an AFL season.

^ contracts ...

What if Sydney are paying Darcy $180k and contracted until end of 2020, and North offer (and Sydney accept), say, Luke McDonald on $350k contracted until the end of 2022?

I'd say you'd have to make sure you have that space over the period of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ contracts ...

What if Sydney are paying Darcy $180k and contracted until end of 2020, and North offer (and Sydney accept), say, Luke McDonald on $350k contracted until the end of 2022?
I'd say Sydney would still find a loophole to cheat the trade to their own advantage.

Because we totally need kpf. Hosie decision was an odd one as he's a medium fwd which wasn't needed however we have enough kp players why would we need this guy

I was screaming from the roof tops to pick this bloke.
I said at the time that not placing Ben Jacobs on the long term injury list (he still isn't btw) was a completely incomprehensible decision by the club. Riccardi would be the perfect foil to Larkey, and was always likely to make it given his athleticism and production at VFL level.

I said at the time that not placing Ben Jacobs on the long term injury list (he still isn't btw) was a completely incomprehensible decision by the club. Riccardi would be the perfect foil to Larkey, and was always likely to make it given his athleticism and production at VFL level.

Yep, forget picking Hosie, how the hell Jacobs was never placed on the LTI so we take someone like Riccardi is indefensible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back