Preview Mid Season Draft

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the club has any balls it would retire Scott Thompson or more realistically, place Walker or Wilkinson onto the LTI list and take a second pick into the mid season draft.

Will Walker PCL Indefinite
Tom Wilkinson Ankle 7-9 weeks

The above article I linked says that using somebodies list spot doesn't rule them out for the season, as you're able to replace them on the LTI list with anybody else who suffers a long term injury.

Therefore the club would be crazy not to have another crack at the draft using Walker or Wilkinson.

The delusion of youth, and the fallacy of AFL development.

Thommo's output so far this year is good enough to get another contract for next year.

It’s like bloody Logan’s Run around here at times.

Are you sure about that?
How will state league clubs be compensated for losing a player?
It's understood AFL clubs will be made to provide them with a reimbursement. That could include a payment of up to 50 percent of any sign-on bonus given to the player by their state league club.

The League has also moved to offset state league clubs' concerns by introducing a number of conditions.

A player drafted from a state league will not be asked to play against their original club unless all parties agreed. For example, should Williamstown defender Sam McLarty be selected by Carlton, he will not be allowed to represent the Blues' VFL-affiliated Northern Blues against Williamstown, unless the Seagulls approve.

State league players also have the ability to return to their original club to participate in finals if their AFL club's season is over.

Thndr

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2015
Mick Martin school of bad looks.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s like bloody Logan’s Run around here at times.
giphy.gif

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
How will state league clubs be compensated for losing a player?
It's understood AFL clubs will be made to provide them with a reimbursement. That could include a payment of up to 50 percent of any sign-on bonus given to the player by their state league club.

The League has also moved to offset state league clubs' concerns by introducing a number of conditions.

A player drafted from a state league will not be asked to play against their original club unless all parties agreed. For example, should Williamstown defender Sam McLarty be selected by Carlton, he will not be allowed to represent the Blues' VFL-affiliated Northern Blues against Williamstown, unless the Seagulls approve.

State league players also have the ability to return to their original club to participate in finals if their AFL club's season is over.
So you’re not sure. Unless you consider Caroline Wilson type statements like “understood” and “could” as definites.

SANFL clubs haven’t been advised of compo. I do know a player will receive $50,000 sign on, $20,000 relocation allowance and $4,000 per game played.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The sad thing is, if you are a young player that has a choice between North and any other club in the AFL; they would be nuts to choose North.

As a club we stand for nothing, we throw our players under the bus at the first sign of trouble, we refuse to play people on form, and refuse to hold players or administrators accountable for poor performance.

Shambolic does not begin to describe the club at the moment.

Seriously, why would you want to come to North as a professional player?
Well if you're Bailey Scott, apparently for closer access to Victorian tertiary education.

No dilemma for me. I want to win in 99% of circumstances, especially this early in the season.
This early into the season? The top 8 very rarely changes after round 8. Our season is over, we need to realign our goals. Stop worrying about trying to win the premiership, and concentrate on development.

So Brissy in 2017?
One would have to make a judgement call, whether it was worth "winning" the spoon, in terms of which player would be available with pick 1 vs pick 4.
In that example, is Raynor clearly better choice than LDU? And would he be worth us picking an inferior side for that game.

This early into the season? The top 8 very rarely changes after round 8. Our season is over, we need to realign our goals. Stop worrying about trying to win the premiership, and concentrate on development.
It's a myth, that winning a premiership is the only goal in AFL footy. There are more than 200 games of AFL football played each season. All those games mean a lot to supporters and sponsors, and impact on the club image and culture. Only one team wins a flag, but to give up on winning with two thirds of the season remaining is not North mentality.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One would have to make a judgement call, whether it was worth "winning" the spoon, in terms of which player would be available with pick 1 vs pick 4.
In that example, is Raynor clearly better choice than LDU? And would he be worth us picking an inferior side for that game.
I thought we'd had our eyes on LDU anyway but I'm probably revising history.
Yes, luckily for us, the courses he was after weren't available in Deakin Uni Geelong Campus.
Damnit I had Fitzroy on the brain but that was "the one who must not be named"...

It's a myth, that winning a premiership is the only goal in AFL footy. There are more than 200 games of AFL football played each season. All those games mean a lot to supporters and sponsors, and impact on the club image and culture. Only one team wins a flag, but to give up on winning with two thirds of the season remaining is not North mentality.
I'm not talking tanking ala Demons. But winning shouldn't be our sole purpose. eg, resting Taz for the odd game can help to make sure he's cherry ripe for next year, while giving SammyD and BMac a chance to play together with our other defenders. Give Brown more time in the middle to work on his ruck skills. Give Ahern, Simpkin, LDU time in the middle together. These are things that we wouldn't do if we just wanted to win, but will help us win next year and for years to come.

Back