List Mgmt. Mid-season draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good Old Ping.

Do really want him back after how he left?
His departure was no worse than Beams’. The real question is, why would we want a fairly average footballer who’s lost his one major weapon (speed) on the footy field?

Good Old Ping.

Do really want him back after how he left?

Of the two I'd rather Ben Kennedy as small forward. But really what we need for the rest of 2019 is another ready to play KPP.

We have Mihocek, Reid, Roughead, Moore all capable of playing musical chairs holding down different key positions... but beyond that very little depth in Magden, two Irish novices and young Will Kelly.

Any more injuries to KPP and we are back to using Goldsack as a full back.

Tyler Keitel kicked 43 in the WAFL last year and can swing down back. Might be worth a look

Last edited:
Does anyone know what Xavier Richards is up to? Has he sorted out his attitude and does he want to play AFL football again? Showed promise in 2016, could be worth a chat if he's grown up a little - my memory of his situation was that he acted a little juvenile in demanding a trade from the Swans to a Melbourne club at the 11th hour of the trade period and wouldn't take no for an answer. No club came knocking and found himself out of the system. Young players can grow, mature and thrive on second and third chances. I could be wrong on his situation but I think worth the investigation.

Melbourne’s former high draft pick Jimmy Toumpas is among the 150-plus players who have already nominated for the AFL’s new version of the mid-season draft.
Injury-ridden former Collingwood and St Kilda midfielder Nathan Freeman, ex-Docker Cam Sutcliffe, former Hawthorn midfielder and current Collingwood VFL player and regular club runner, Alex Woodward, have also put their names into the pool for the new draft.

Jimmy Toumpas with Neil Craig during their time at Melbourne.CREDIT:SEBASTIAN COSTANZO

Ex-Lion Reuben William is another player to have nominated for the mid-season draft, which will be held on May 27.
The vast majority of the more than 150 players who have nominated — the nominations close on Friday — are players from the state leagues, such as the VFL, the WAFL and the SANFL.

As yet, there are no decorated and high-profile veterans — such as Brendon Goddard — to have nominated for the May draft. Freeman was delisted by St Kilda after finally making his senior debut in his fifth season as an AFL player, having suffered a succession of hamstring injuries that hampered him after he was chosen at pick 10 by the Magpies in 2013.
Toumpas was selected at pick four by the Demons in 2012, in the same draft in which they picked up Jack Viney as a father-son recruit, while landing 17-year-old Jesse Hogan in a trade from the Giants.
Toumpas did not establish himself at Melbourne and was subsequently traded to Port Adelaide.
Woodward suffered three knee reconstructions during his time with Hawthorn and a fourth one as a Collingwood VFL player in 2017, but has shown himself to be a highly capable player at VFL level, though he is best known for running in to the path of Jaidyn Stevenson on grand final day last year when he was the runner for Collingwood — and he was later consoled by coach Nathan Buckley.

Flashback: Alex Woodward playing for Box Hill.CREDIT:MAL FAIRCLOUGH

Jye Bolton, a former Collingwood rookie-list player, who has won two Sandover Medals in the WAFL, has also nominated.

It is unclear how many clubs will have picks in the draft. Clubs can create a space by putting a long-term injured player on the inactive list — as Adelaide did with Tom Doedee. Carlton and Gold Coast have vacancies, as does St Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be good to see a mid season draftee make a real difference to a side but I sense noone is taking it very seriously. They seem to think it will be more like a rookie selection than someone who comes into seniors with immediate impact like people think. Also I think there will be only about 5 selections.

For a club in flag contention and a spot available it would be madness not to try and snag the next Tim Kelly from the state leagues. Given our history losing gf’s not sure we can be too cute with this sort of opportunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back