Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Mid-Season Rookie Draft: Who's having medicals and at what club

Callum Twomey, Mitch Cleary and Marc McGowan

AFL-mid-season-rookie-medicals.jpg

Kyle Dunkley (Gippsland), Sam Lowson (Coburg), and Cody Hirst (Eastern Ranges) are all booked in for medicals

TWO former Roos and an ex-Cat are in line for AFL recalls just seven months after they were dumped by their respective clubs.
Mitch Hibberd, Declan Mountford and Cory Gregson headline a list of 22 hopefuls who will be put through a medical screening ahead of the Mid-Season Rookie Draft on May 27.
Each club could lodge up to three players before Wednesday's deadline for the medical screening, which will be held five days before the draft on May 22.

AFL.com.au understands clubs were asked to rank their list of players in order of priority and told that not every nomination was guaranteed a medical test.

Other ex-AFL players set for screenings include former Dockers Josh Deluca (Subiaco) and Brady Grey (West Coast WAFL).
Mature-age smokies include NT Thunder's Adam Tipungwuti, Coburg's Lochie Dickson and South Fremantle's Marlion Pickett.
Richmond is the club linked strongest to Pickett, while Collingwood showed interest ahead of last year's NAB AFL Draft.
Club medical staff will be invited to attend the testing day, however clubs have been advised they are unable to complete their own individual tests of players.
With 15 list spots currently available across the competition, it is understood a number of clubs will be more inclined to use the draft for future talent rather than ready-made players.
Clubs with one availability include Adelaide, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond, Sydney and Western Bulldogs.
Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney both have two positions open to be filled.
It is understood Melbourne has previously tracked Gregson, who has returned to SANFL club Glenelg this year after he was cut following a four-year, 39-game stint.
NAB League players Mitch Riordan (Dandenong Stingrays), Cody Hirst (Eastern Ranges) and Kyle Dunkley (Gippsland Power) fit that description and will receive assessments.
Overlooked at last year's National and Rookie drafts, the trio all impressed in last week's Young Guns series-opener at Trevor Barker Oval.
Dunkley is the son of former Sydney defender Andrew and brother of Western Bulldogs premiership player Josh and is being monitored by Sydney, Carlton, Gold Coast and Richmond.
While only a percentage of players from the 307 nominated for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft will be put through screenings, it doesn't rule out others from being selected.
Peel Thunder small defender Jarvis Pina has been catapulted into the WA Under-18 State squad in recent weeks, with multiple clubs showing interest including Fremantle and Sydney.
Clubs such as Fremantle which don't currently hold a pick in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft could yet open up a spot should they suffer a long-term injury or lose a player to retirement.

Mid-season rookie draft medical testing list

Ajang Ajang (East Perth)
Frank Anderson (Northern Blues)
Daly Andrews (Western Jets)
Ray Connellan (Essendon VFL)
Josh Deluca (Subiaco)
Lochlan Dickson (Coburg)
Kyle Dunkley (Gippsland)
Oliver Eastland (Claremont)
Cory Gregson (Glenelg)
Brady Grey (West Coast WAFL)
Mitch Hibberd (Williamstown)
Cody Hirst (Eastern Ranges)
Lachlan Hosie (Glenelg)
Sam Lowson (Coburg)
Jack Mayo (Subiaco)
Declan Mountford (Claremont)
John Noble (West Adelaide)
Matt Nunn (Norwood)
Marlion Pickett (South Fremantle)
Jarvis Pina (Peel Thunder)
Mitch Riordan (Dandenong)
Adam Tipungwuti (NT Thunder)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-09/midseason-rookie-draft-clubs-book-in-young-guns-for-medicals

*Richmond has joined the chase for lightning quick VFL forward Sam Lowson, with his VFL coach backing him to make an impact in the AFL this year.
Lowson had a handful of AFL clubs watching him live on the weekend and is set to meet with Richmond, Carlton and North Melbourne ahead of May 27’s mid-season draft.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Interesting on Tippett...

Tippett’s last game was in round 23 of 2017, when on August 26 the Swans beat Carlton.

In January last year, with three years to run on a newly signed contract extension, Tippett announced his retirement from football due to fitness concerns after having had an ankle reconstruction months earlier.

The Swans and Tippett were understood to have reached a settlement in broad terms at the time – for an undisclosed, seven-figure sum.

Had Tippett’s retirement been processed at that time, the settlement payout would have had to be included in last year’s salary cap, a move that would have pushed the Swans over the salary cap limit.

Contracted until the end of the 2020 season, he was delisted at the end of last year then re-selected in the rookie draft in a move that enabled the Swans to excise some of his money from the salary cap this year. Finally then this week after clarification of some terms and final payments, Tippett's retirement agreement was lodged and approved by the AFL.

I assume they're talking the 105% TPC limit given a 7 figure payout would be at least 8% of TPC. Clearly some of that would have been factored into their salary cap if Tippett was still playing but it clearly now needs to be included into this years salary cap so they're going to be very tight for cash both this year when they include it and in 2020 when they've got to bring the pendulum back below 100% by whatever amount they exceed it this year. Who at Sydney will they have to let go to absorb that, or will they have sufficient retirees among their top earners to cover it?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m sure he’s not on the possibles? Or is he?

Would any side, hence, consider taking flog Goddard.

Tippett’s last game was in round 23 of 2017, when on August 26 the Swans beat Carlton.

In January last year, with three years to run on a newly signed contract extension, Tippett announced his retirement from football due to fitness concerns after having had an ankle reconstruction months earlier.

The Swans and Tippett were understood to have reached a settlement in broad terms at the time – for an undisclosed, seven-figure sum.

Had Tippett’s retirement been processed at that time, the settlement payout would have had to be included in last year’s salary cap, a move that would have pushed the Swans over the salary cap limit.

Contracted until the end of the 2020 season, he was delisted at the end of last year then re-selected in the rookie draft in a move that enabled the Swans to excise some of his money from the salary cap this year. Finally then this week after clarification of some terms and final payments, Tippett's retirement agreement was lodged and approved by the AFL.

I assume they're talking the 105% TPC limit given a 7 figure payout would be at least 8% of TPC. Clearly some of that would have been factored into their salary cap if Tippett was still playing but it clearly now needs to be included into this years salary cap so they're going to be very tight for cash both this year when they include it and in 2020 when they've got to bring the pendulum back below 100% by whatever amount they exceed it this year. Who at Sydney will they have to let go to absorb that, or will they have sufficient retirees among their top earners to cover it?

Bolded bit makes me think they did something similar to what Brisbane did with Fev, ie: pay him out immediately and get him off the books and close the Tippett chapter, but for salary cap purposes the $$$ are amortised over his contract period.

Woodward with 38 disposals in the VFL. I reckon he would have been selected over Wills this week if he were on the senior list.

Problem with 4 ACL's team might be Hesitant

We Need KPF

Woodward with 38 disposals in the VFL. I reckon he would have been selected over Wills this week if he were on the senior list.
Problem with 4 ACL's team might be Hesitant

We Need KPF
There's two ways we can go, plug and play or develop for the future (under 22ish). Given we're likely to play finals we should go with the former. We have Goldsack (defence), Reid, Madgen and possibly Scharenberg as key position depth another midfielder would make sense. We could also re-structure with Lynch.

Woodward spreads much better than Wills while offering similar in and under extraction; what he lacks in brute strength he makes up for in class. The benefit to Woodward over another state level midfielder is that he already knows our systems.

There's two ways we can go, plug and play or develop for the future (under 22ish). Given we're likely to play finals we should go with the former. We have Goldsack (defence), Reid, Madgen and possibly Scharenberg as key position depth another midfielder would make sense. We could also re-structure with Lynch.

Woodward spreads much better than Wills while offering similar in and under extraction; what he lacks in brute strength he makes up for in class. The benefit to Woodward over another state level midfielder is that he already knows our systems.

As wrong as it sounds, and as much as it would probably destroy us in the VFL, I'm hoping Woodward gets picked up by somebody else. Deserves a shot where he's a chance at being best 22, which is a shot he's unlikely to get with us.

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs

I think we would be the last club, in a good way, that Woodward would want to get picked up by, considering our midfield depth. Surely he wants to get picked up and play senior footy. Unfortunately with us he wouldn't get much opportunities, if any. If clubs look at him, l think maybe Sydney, Port or the Suns.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

I love Woodward at VFL level but not sold he'd transition to senior footy, well not for us anyway. His disposal isn't that great. He lacks pace. He's also poor in terms of 2-way running. They're 3 elements we don't need more of.

But I thought similar things about Marty Hore and he seems to be making a good fist of it.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok let’s assume we have one pick at the mid draft, who would you take?

One pick for placing Dunn on the long term injury list.

This is everyone’s chance to play list manager.

Knightmare Snoop Dog Pie 4 Life

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Knightmare Snoop Dog Pie 4 Life

Sam Lowsen would be the best there and would be ideal as a crumbing forward with speed who pressures and hits the scoreboard. Problem is he is probably the first or second taken.

Mitch Podhajski is my personal favourite as a 191cm mid who is going well in the VFL and can also play some forward. I thought he was the best overlooked last year. So he's my preference.

I'm also very open to Nicholas Murray as a key defender (brother of Sam) with scope to develop as a strong 1v1 KPD who takes loads of intercept and 1v1 marks.

Not that either of them are likely to be picked.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sam Lowsen would be the best there and would be ideal as a crumbing forward with speed who pressures and hits the scoreboard. Problem is he is probably the first or second taken.

Mitch Podhajski is my personal favourite as a 191cm mid who is going well in the VFL and can also play some forward. I thought he was the best overlooked last year. So he's my preference.

I'm also very open to Nicholas Murray as a key defender (brother of Sam) with scope to develop as a strong 1v1 KPD who takes loads of intercept and 1v1 marks.

Not that either of them are likely to be picked.
Those players and their descriptions is a wonderful reminder of the thin thin line between a possible AFL career and just missing out.

I wonder about sliding doors, where a line ball call goes one way, and a talent misses out.

Then I think of Brody Mihocek who could so easily have missed a senior career, where today he is carrying himself as if he belongs in the environment and was an early starter (which he was not). Quite amazing how well he’s gone. Never ever thought he’d be this capable.

I’d guess the elite would be seen nearly always, and selected, but those who with a bit of development and be capable 150 game players of medium levels are never given the opportunity.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Bolded bit makes me think they did something similar to what Brisbane did with Fev, ie: pay him out immediately and get him off the books and close the Tippett chapter, but for salary cap purposes the $$$ are amortised over his contract period.
Not sure of what happened with Fev, but the relevant rule is that if a payment is made to a player it goes into the cap on the last year that he is listed, regardless of the timing of the payment. So if they paid Tippett an amount this Footy Year, but he wasnt on the list, it would go in the 18 cap. That is why Tippett was de-listed then rookie listed - so they could free up a primary list spot and a portion of his salary as a rookie is excluded from the 2019 cap.

Not sure your calcs on the % of cap jackcass - presume the retirement payout to Tippett would have been a negotiated amount reduced from the initial contract amount given he didn't fulfill the contract.

Those players and their descriptions is a wonderful reminder of the thin thin line between a possible AFL career and just missing out.

I wonder about sliding doors, where a line ball call goes one way, and a talent misses out.

Then I think of Brody Mihocek who could so easily have missed a senior career, where today he is carrying himself as if he belongs in the environment and was an early starter (which he was not). Quite amazing how well he’s gone. Never ever thought he’d be this capable.

The flip side of the sliding door with Mihocek is if he was taken as a not ready 18 year old, would he have lasted on an AFL list or would he be just another bloke who was drafted at 18 and then scrapped at 20 way before he had reached his potential? Then just written off as not good enough by the whole industry. How many blokes has this happened to?

I personally think we draft them too young unless we are willing to significantly increase the list size and allow kids a lot longer to be ready.

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power

@Knightmare @Pie 4 Life[/USER]

I think you go with the greatest need. For me its probably ruck depth but there isnt anything out there that works.

If a key back went down Reid would go back, Goldy could come up and Langdon and Howe have shown they can play taller. I cant see a tall defender in the pool that makes sense but like Knighta Murray was always a kid I rated but he has had his chances.

For me its probably a running back or forward. Lowson would be one, still like what Pickett brings and Pies were keen. Same goes for Mayo. A player I dont think we need but I know we tracked pretty hard was Declan Mountford. I know we were v keen on him at the time. Nothing more recently.

Back