List Mgmt. Mid-season draft.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
You know their names — but not necessarily their faces.

This year’s mid-season draft has thrown up a host of sons, brothers and cousins who are itching to get their shot at the big time.

And when it comes to recognisable names, there’s not too many more eye catching than Tipungwuti.

The cousin of Essendon livewire Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Northern Territory Thunder excitement machine Adam Tipungwuti is hot on the radar of clubs searching for an extra pinch of x-factor.

Tipungwuti is one of the most unique stories in the mid-season draft, with the small forward clocking up plenty of frequent flyer miles in the NEAFL.

The 22-year-old is essentially left to his own devices during the week, as he is based on the Tiwi Islands.

While the Thunder train together, Tipungwuti hones his skills with one other teammate, who is also based on the Island, before diving into his own running and weight sessions.

Tipungwuti’s unwavering commitment to his unique training circumstances is exactly why he would thrive at the next level, according to NT Thunder coach Darren Reeves.

Reeves has seen firsthand just how deep the “electric” forward’s trick bag is and the impact his presence has on opposition defenders.

“His pressure is outstanding, he’s got electric leg speed and … guys panic when he is in the area,” Reeves said.

“He is just so clever and he can do pretty much anything. He is also desperately keen to have an opportunity at it (the next level).

30ec724698b6b8137117153868252a05
Adam Tipungwuti is on the radar for the upcoming mid-season draft. Picture: Keri Megelus
“I’ve got no doubt, to get him into a system somewhere, he’s got so many tricks up his sleeve, in a full-time environment he would be an exciting player.”

In testing at last year’s “Rookie Me” combine, which was aimed at mature age draft hopefuls, Tipungwuti finished in the top five for the agility test and the vertical jump test.

He has already caught the attention of clubs ahead of this month’s mid-season draft, and was one of 22 players to be selected to undergo medical testing in the lead up to draft night on May 27.

Also on that list was Kyle Dunkley, the brother of Western Bulldogs premiership player Josh.

Overlooked after injury interrupted his top age draft year, Dunkley returned to the Gippsland Power as an over-age player and has latched onto his second chance.

He has split his time between the NAB League outfit and Footscray VFL where he produced a near best on ground performance against a Box Hill side sporting Jarryd Roughead.

Power region manager Peter Francis sees plenty of similarities between Kyle and Josh.

“He’s that good, hard inside mid,” Francis said of the younger Dunkley.

c6baa7fbb5270d016b65f12d1b3ccaab
Kyle Dunkley has been ultra-impressive this year. Picture: Getty Images
“Similarly to Josh, he can win a fair bit of ball on the outside as well. He is really strong overhead, he hits the scoreboard.

“Josh in his 19th year, he played in a premiership with the Bulldogs. There is no reason why Kyle can’t walk straight into AFL football and make an impact.”

It is a Heppell family leadership double at the Bombers, with Dyson’s brother Aaron taking charge of the VFL side for the first time this season. Across his last 25 VFL matches, the half back has been named in Essendon’s best players 15 times.

HARRY MARSH SUBIACO

Delisted by the Swans after 25 games at the end of last season, Marsh was in the mix for the 2018 national and rookie drafts before being overlooked. This family knows a thing or two about getting back in the system, with younger brother and former Magpie Jonathon snapped up by St Kilda after two years in the WAFL.

908690c7e61d150452af2ca8a899ae97

JACOB ATLEY ESSENDON VFL

The younger brother of Shaun (North Melbourne) and Joe (Port Adelaide), Jacob was snapped up by Essendon’s VFL side after last year’s rookie draft. A versatile midfielder-defender, Atley has also been playing as an over-age player for the Bendigo Pioneers. At 191cms, he is at interesting prospect.

OSKAR MANTON WILLIAMSTOWN CYMS

The son of former Blue and Bomber Glenn Manton, Oskar was a member of the Western Jets NAB League squad last year. After being overlooked in the draft, Manton has been playing with VAFA club Williamstown CYMS.

JAYLON THORPE WILLIAMSTOWN

A dasher from Williamstown and the son of Alan Thorpe, Jaylon has done plenty right as he eyes a crack at the next level. The 24-year-old has played as a half back this year and would be a low risk, high upside selection.

43d711dfe41619a210baf25475eb22d6
Jaylon Thorpe continues to impress at Williamstown. Picture: Getty Images
JOSH GUTHRIE COBURG

Looking to become the third member of the Guthrie clan to hit the big time, Josh made the move from Geelong VFL to Coburg in the off-season.

JACKSON MERRETT PEEL THUNDER

The brother of Essendon star Zach, Jackson made the move to WAFL club Peel Thunder after he was delisted by the Bombers at the end of last season. He is averaging 18.6 disposals and a goal a game across the opening five weeks of the season.

TYLER ROOS SOUTHPORT

The son of AFL great Paul Roos, Tyler helped deliver Southport the NEAFL flag in 2018 and has stuck with the club despite relocating to Melbourne this year. He has made the move from the midfield to half back in the past 12 months.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/dee0c41018374b3e18d3064052501549

Last edited:

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Don't see any quality talls about unless we are eyeing another Mihocek under the radar.
I know mids are a strength but nobody was happy having to play Wills last night so would you pull the trigger on Woodward? We're in the window and you can't have enough class.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Last night showed we need to bring in a back up for Moore, I don’t think we will use our pick though.

I'm on the fence on this. We already have too many key defenders in the VFL. Albeit mostly developing types (Kelly, Keane, Madgen). It would throw out list balance to get another. But our back ups are poor. My inclination would be to shift Goldsack back and utilise him in his best role. Play Madgen as a third tall. Find another role for one of Keane or Kelly. Shaz will be back at some point too. But it'd be nice to have some assurance over the quality of our key back depth. Its hurting us right now.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm on the fence on this. We already have too many key defenders in the VFL. Albeit mostly developing types (Kelly, Keane, Madgen). It would throw out list balance to get another. But our back ups are poor. My inclination would be to shift Goldsack back and utilise him in his best role. Play Madgen as a third tall. Find another role for one of Keane or Kelly. Shaz will be back at some point too. But it'd be nice to have some assurance over the quality of our key back depth. Its hurting us right now.
Giving senior team best chance of winning a flag > VFL balance
Schaz is undersized as a key defender, we need another Roughead/Dunn type (obviously not as a good or they’d be on a list)

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Okay at this stage we will have a selection at the mid season draft tomorrow night ( I am assuming for Lynden Dunn) and possibly a second depending on the outcome of Well’s meeting with the surgeon today. Any thoughts?

Okay at this stage we will have a selection at the mid season draft tomorrow night ( I am assuming for Lynden Dunn) and possibly a second depending on the outcome of Well’s meeting with the surgeon today. Any thoughts?
Didn't they just upgrade a player to take Dunn's spot? Magden? Maybe look to rookie someone?

We should also know the extent of Kelly's hamstring by Monday too. Hopefully it's just a "standard" hamstring injury, but it looked bad.

Didn't they just upgrade a player to take Dunn's spot? Magden? Maybe look to rookie someone?
Yep, Madgen was upgraded from a category B rookie to replace Dunn.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

we only have to keep a player taken in the mid season draft til the end of the year.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-17/midseason-draft-rules-clubs-allowed-to-test-up-to-three-players

So we can take a big KPD knowing that it provides immediate depth and won't detract from developing other players long term.

The Irish boys may develop into something, but Magden is fully developed and all that he will ever be - a VFL level defender.

Last edited:
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
we only have to keep a player taken in the mid season draft til the end of the year.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-17/midseason-draft-rules-clubs-allowed-to-test-up-to-three-players

So we can take a big KPD knowing that it provides immediate depth and won't detract from developing other players long term.

The Irish boys may develop into something, but Magden is fully developed and all that he will ever be - a VFL level defender.

I still believe it would throw out list balance. We couldn't play all those guys + another key defender and maintain a well balanced 22 in the VFL. Which means we sacrifice the team as a whole to fit everyone in. Or there is an unlucky individual or two. I think detracting from a players development short term, which would happen, detracts from long term development as an outcome. I wouldnt do that personally.

That said I can understand the attraction if there is someone suitable (are there any?). You'd just be making a cold hearted call on some players, likely a combo of Madgen, Tohill and Goldsack.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
According to this very recent AFL website article, as things stand we don't have a pick available in this draft. However, we do have the option to move a couple of players around and free up a spot. They have been known to get things wrong in articles on that website, but should be correct in this case. So will we make a move or choose not to bother?!: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-25/injury-strikes-two-top-midseason-rookie-draft-prospects

AFL clubs are eligible for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft if they left a spot open from last year's drafts or created one by placing an injured or retired player on the inactive list.

Similarly, sides can promote a Category B rookie to the primary list when a teammate is put on the long-term injury list.

For example, Sydney moved retired pair Kurt Tippett and Heath Grundy onto the inactive list to open two vacancies, whereas Nick Smith is on the long-term injury list, so a Category B rookie can be promoted.

Players placed on the inactive or long-term injury list can return to the field this season, so long as they are replaced.

One option is for the Category B rookie to return to their previous status, which doesn't allow them to play in the AFL, or switching the fit-again player with another long-term injured footballer.

There is also Collingwood's situation, where it applied for Lynden Dunn to go on the long-term injury list and promoted Category B rookie Jack Madgen, who played on Friday night.

The Magpies could demote Madgen again then move Dunn onto the inactive list to create a list vacancy and enable them to make a selection on Monday.

There is also Collingwood's situation, where it applied for Lynden Dunn to go on the long-term injury list and promoted Category B rookie Jack Madgen, who played on Friday night.

The Magpies could demote Madgen again then move Dunn onto the inactive list to create a list vacancy and enable them to make a selection on Monday.
That seems a very bizarre situation; what a rigmarole.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

As things stand, we shouldn't have a pick available in this draft, and would only be able to participate in it if we did some last minute shuffling around of a couple of players to free up a spot. I think there's a very good chance that we won't bother. Taking a player just for the sake of it, and handing them a minimum $50K (plus another $20K if delisted at the end of the year and not picked up by another club) seems rather extravagant (if we really do have a tight salary cap).

We know we could do with another decent tall defender (who is ready to play senior football), but it doesn't seem as if there are any likely types out there at the moment.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
That seems a very bizarre situation; what a rigmarole.
It does seem like a fair bit of stuffing around, and (assuming that story is correct) I really doubt that we would bother to make those moves just so we could take part in the draft. Perhaps something might happen with Kelly/Wells in the next few hours and plans will change, but I hope there's no really bad news with them.

I absolutely love the drafts, and so will be rather disappointed if we don't take anyone, as there is always the hope (even in a "leftovers" draft like this one) that you'll unearth a gem. But unless they really have someone in mind it seems rather pointless.

Back