Mid season draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Collins should still be on our list as depth but let’s be honest he was never going to get a game with Pearce and Hamling around. Logue and Cox have enough other tricks to compete for a spot in the side with those two there - Collins doesn’t. He is however a better option to replace Hamling or Pearce if injured imo.

Probably best for Collins that he’s at Gold Coast now as he’d be playing 5-10 games a year here at most compared to the every game he’s fit he’ll play at Gold Coast.

I think we’d need to wait till mid May to decide whether to participate. That will involve about 5 WAFL/SANFL/VFL games to see how these potential missed draftees and mature aged players start their respective seasons and also confirm whether Bennell or Sandilands will be able to get back to playing in 2019.

Can’t see Bennell giving up yet - even though it appears he is likely done.

My guess would be Sandi and we make an assessment on him around mid May based on medical reports.

A couple of names I’d be watching over the first block of state level games is Luke Meadows (Box Hill) and Dillon O’Reilly (East Fremantle). But some others might jump out of the box.

I think we’d need to wait till mid May to decide whether to participate. That will involve about 5 WAFL/SANFL/VFL games to see how these potential missed draftees and mature aged players start their respective seasons and also confirm whether Bennell or Sandilands will be able to get back to playing in 2019.

Can’t see Bennell giving up yet - even though it appears he is likely done.

My guess would be Sandi and we make an assessment on him around mid May based on medical reports.

A couple of names I’d be watching over the first block of state level games is Luke Meadows (Box Hill) and Dillon O’Reilly (East Fremantle). But some others might jump out of the box.
We need to make the call either round end of round 5 or round 6.

Any time after that and it is too late.

This whole thread is strange. I can't work out why any team would engage in a quite restricted draft midseason unless it thought it was a flag hope that season. Can anyone tell me what the motivation/benefit would be for us?

This whole thread is strange. I can't work out why any team would engage in a quite restricted draft midseason unless it thought it was a flag hope that season. Can anyone tell me what the motivation/benefit would be for us?
For us it would be securing the mature aged talent we were going to consider at the draft, we could put them in the gym for five extra months prior to the draft, or get them running laps for those five months.

If we were challenging for a flag it would allow us to fill a direct need with a role player.

If it meant we could pick up someone who would be a part of our longer term plan before others could get then at the next draft

Tim Kelly was cruising around the WAFL and if we had a chance to pick him up mid-year then I would have been happy with that as an example.

For a team like us it shouldn't be a short term fix though.

For us it would be securing the mature aged talent we were going to consider at the draft, we could put them in the gym for five extra months prior to the draft, or get them running laps for those five months.

If we were challenging for a flag it would allow us to fill a direct need with a role player.

Why would we fill a list spot from a restricted draft with a mature ager that has already been rejected, when six months later you could fill the same spot from an unrestricted draft with fresh talent? I know I am thick but I find it bizarre

Why would we fill a list spot from a restricted draft with a mature ager that has already been rejected, when six months later you could fill the same spot from an unrestricted draft with fresh talent? I know I am thick but I find it bizarre
We actually aren't committed to the player we take into the following season. I expect most of the picks will be more James Magner than Michael Barlow.

I think the real gems here would be players who were drafted and then bombed out after their first contract, perhaps went overseas to play a different sport then came back to give AFL a go at the lower level.

The sorts like Dayle Garlett, recently released from prison. Chris Yarran, soon to be sent to prison. These sorts of players with lots of talent but a significant hurdle in their lives, I wanted to say substantial hurdle for the pun, would be the real success stories.

Obviously massive risk, but those are the ones with AFL talent but less than AFL dedication, plenty of AFL level hard workers in the lower leagues with their talent matching the league they are already in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if that player was the next Barlow? The negativity towards mature age players is bizarre. The only 18 year olds that are a chance of performing right off the bat are in the top ten of the draft.

What if that player was the next Barlow? The negativity towards mature age players is bizarre. The only 18 year olds that are a chance of performing right off the bat are in the top ten of the draft.

I don't have negativity towards mature age players, I have negativity towards pointless mid season drafting. Try and give me one good argument why we should do it

We actually aren't committed to the player we take into the following season. I expect most of the picks will be more James Magner than Michael Barlow.

I think the real gems here would be players who were drafted and then bombed out after their first contract, perhaps went overseas to play a different sport then came back to give AFL a go at the lower level.

The sorts like Dayle Garlett, recently released from prison. Chris Yarran, soon to be sent to prison. These sorts of players with lots of talent but a significant hurdle in their lives, I wanted to say substantial hurdle for the pun, would be the real success stories.

Obviously massive risk, but those are the ones with AFL talent but less than AFL dedication, plenty of AFL level hard workers in the lower leagues with their talent matching the league they are already in.

But you just said to recruit one so we could give them a nine month pre season, now you're saying we aren't committed to them in the next season. i'm unconvinced

It depends who we drop/if Sandi retires etc

If Kersten's out for the season we'll probably just upgrade Jason Carter. If Sandi's out probably same. If we lose a midfielder or a small forward we'll more than likely see a small forward or a midfielder come through.

There's some interesting options like Marlion Pickett, Tom Lewis, Mitch Grigg, Shane Nelson, Jye Bolton etc but there's a few I'd like to follow through the year cause they showed some stuff last year such as

-Luke Meadows: Midfielder currently playing at the Box Hill Hawks but played here in WA last year.
-Cody Leggett: Midfielder from Perth, personal favourite of mine
-Michael Bennell: Forward from Perth, a gun imo but he might need some time
-Cody Ninyette: 2nd or 3rd year in the WAFL system now, small forward
-Mitch Maguire: NEAFL gun, midfielder who I was personally surprised didn't get drafted
-Corey Rich: Medium/Small Forward from the VFL, amazing prospect
-Ben Sokol: Small forward from Subiaco. Might be close to his time? Got mentioned a bit here last year

Some other blokes like Mack Rivett (VFL), Will Fordham (VFL), Nash Holmes (VFL) and Traye Bennell (Peel) that would be worth a look but not too sure if they're better than the previous blokes I mentioned

But you just said to recruit one so we could give them a nine month pre season, now you're saying we aren't committed to them in the next season. i'm unconvinced

Think of it as a long interview. They can be signed to an extension beyond the rest of this season at anytime, once you have them in the door you will find out for sure what their work ethic is like.

I don't have negativity towards mature age players, I have negativity towards pointless mid season drafting. Try and give me one good argument why we should do it
Because there is a player available that went over/under looked and is showing his true wares in the State leagues? Any opportunity to pick up a valuable player should be taken, not looking at it or dismissing it is negligent list management.

The following mature-aged players could have been recruited in advance of the ND if there was a mid season draft (I’ve only gone into the 60’s and not the rookie draft):
2018 ND
Ben Cavarra (45)
Matthew Parker (47)
Nick Hind (54)
Marty Hore (56)
Lachie Schultz (57)
Fraser Turner (58)
Brett Bewley (59)

2017 ND
Tim Kelly (24)
Liam Ryan (26)
Bayley Fritsch (31)
Oscar Baker (48)
Dom Barry (61)

2016 ND
Ben Long (25)
Tom Stewart (40)
Mitch Hannan (46)
Darcy Cameron (48)
Willie Rioli (52)

Luke Ryan (66)

Young WAFL player injured last year comes out burning in the first 5 games of the year , potentially jump the end of year queue and grab him now without spending a pick ( actually I'm not sure about that last bit )
Do you spend a pick ?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

For me it gives a great opportunity to try before you buy. Player's not picked up in the previous draft can be recruited. If this was available last year a team could have drafted someone like Mathew Parker. The year before that it was Tim Kelly or Liam Ryan. Go all the way back to 1999 and I think this rule would have allowed someone to draft the Great One - Matthew Pavlich. Who as a bottom ager had been overlooked at the 1998 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back