Mid season draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I have looked on the forums and can't find a forum for the mid season draft.If there is one and I have missed it , then either add this or delete it.
Are we eligible to enter the draft.
Do we have to delist players for us to participate.
How many players can a club take.
Could they delist Bennell.
I don't think the club would look at asking Sandiland, Ballantyne or Hill to move on.
Any one with any knowledge just how the draft works.

My understanding is that we would have to have someone resign or pay out someone's contract to be part of this draft. And assuming it is only x players that we have resign, then x is as many as we could bring in.

what about Guy Langdon from Perth. Ruck/FWD do we need more depth in this area? Mature age, ready to go and very mobile.

I really don’t think we’re taking anyone at all in this draft tbh.

Club seems determined to back the current list in to get it done. Can’t see us making a space unless we get a season ending injury in the next month.

I’ve gone on and on about grabbing the best 19-25 year olds in the country for a while but our list is in decent shape. What we need to fix is nothing one or two standard off seasons (ie trades, draft picks) couldn’t fix. I’m not too worried tbh.

I'll be miffed if the club pushes Sandilands or Ballantyne to retire and make way for a mid year draft player, and I don't think that will happen, especially with Bell there. If they retire themselves, that's different.

If Bennell was pushed I would feel different. It would simply be an acknowledgement of defeat in the battle against his calves.

Kersten seems like the other option. If un-injured I don't mind him on the list, especially if there is confidence he can provide that KPP depth. Prefer just to let his year ride out and see where it goes.

We should only grab someone outstanding. Either a mature ager that has pulled their finger out (ala Kelly) or a 19yo that missed drafting and has gone to the next level.

Definitely shouldn't just draft somebody for the sake of it.

Spot on.

Also I’ve said this previously the player in question would need to agree to basically sit out the remainder of the year and/or retire. Can’t see Ballantyne agreeing to that and he was busting his arse when he sustained his latest hamstring injury. Rosco indicated during the week that he will give Sandi every opportunity to get back. Kersten now has a timeframe of around 5-weeks and is out of contract so no way he agrees.

Bennell is the interesting one. With his latest injury being Grade 2 strain - the club may give him one last shot to push ahead and be fit by round 8. He has had that many recurrences that it is basically lost cause and he would be our most likely option to retire by the deadline of late May 2019.

No chance we add another ruckman, unless they are an absolute stand-out who would jump well ahead of Meek and Jones. Imagine Peel at the moment with another ruck. Do we move Jones to the backline with Meek?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have given some thought to this thread and looked at our list and I have identified players I would delist now, and others I am unsure will ever make it and players I am not sure have the talent to have a good career. I want to say that I respect every player here and they are fantastic athletes, it is just that it is a cut throat industry and it is about a club winning footy ... as the END GAME.

1556284051008.png

So Ballantyne for me is my failure. I have a soft spot for him, and I believe if the season goes as I think it will (well) he could be a real asset. I also think he has given his everything to the club and there needs to be some respect and dignity in that. Retiring him mid season would be pretty shite, especially when he is better than some of the small forwards on our list.

I think the decision should be made on Sandi. Either come out with a time frame, I am not apposed to the age, but when the injury is linked to age then that becomes an issue.

Bennell - I would rather delist a bunch of players on our list, which I think will never be starting 22 players. We have an abundance of players that are WAFL players. Harley is an elite AFL player - I just do not see the point of pulling the pin on an underpaid 26 year old, especially when we have an overpaid injured 36 year old (Sandilands) and another WAFL grade player who has been injured at the same age - that would not get picked even with substantial injuries (Kersten).

I have mentioned keep a bunch of players, but I am not convinced they will make it. It makes the Bennell story more compelling, do we bring in another good WAFL player, that simply is not up to AFL - I do not see anyone killing it in the WAFL - so it would be a risk on a younger player around the 18-23 year mark.

On a final note, I also do not see any required upgrade targets for us. Who are we dropping from our best 22? We have to make room for Blakely and Hill yet. Cox just got omitted. Duman is suspended. Darcy can't get a game. I reckon our list is pretty good at the moment.
That is my 2 cents, stats taken from footywire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering our lack of defensive key position depth Kersten likely gets another year.
Can't give him another year at the moment. Not even sure what his injury is, but it is a long one.

One of the big problems for us with Silvagni who was our previous depth KPP was his injury issues. Need to be available, whereas Silvagni had the misfortune of often synchronising his injury issues with the dates we needed him. But if Kersten got himself fit and available, I think he could get another year.

Can't give him another year at the moment. Not even sure what his injury is, but it is a long one.

One of the big problems for us with Silvagni who was our previous depth KPP was his injury issues. Need to be available, whereas Silvagni had the misfortune of often synchronising his injury issues with the dates we needed him. But if Kersten got himself fit and available, I think he could get another year.

Plantar Fasciitis. He is about 5-6 weeks away. Normally once torn you can return pain free within a couple of weeks. He did the tear back in early Feb but ended up needing surgery. The good news is that it has been sorted. Having managed that injury myself coupled with Achilles tendinitis for sometime I’m constantly running at 1/2 to 3/4 speed. It is very difficult to manage.

A lot will depend on how he returns after the bye. May not necessarily need to play AFL to get an extension as he could be handy depth but could go either way for him.

Kersten isn’t tall enough to be key defensive depth. He’s part of a long line of third tall options we have. We need another real key defender so to fully balance our list - it’s not urgent but it is ideal.

Thoughts on Nathan Freeman? Only 23 and unjustly delisted by the saints in my opinion, fits our age demographic nicely.

Unjustly is a bit rough. Perennially injured since the day he was drafted.

The mid-season draft would be an option for him. Short term contract to see if he can cope with AFL environment. For mine he has a body that can cope with lower level but step up to AFL no good.

Very similar recent story to that of Harley Bennell who made it back for 2 late games in 2017. Played a decent bit of WAFL in 2018 but injury hit him at the wrong time.

I’m with Taylor. Freeman like Zac Clarke would need to go back and play a full season without injury. Either way I’d say no for Fremantle.

I have given some thought to this thread and looked at our list and I have identified players I would delist now, and others I am unsure will ever make it and players I am not sure have the talent to have a good career. I want to say that I respect every player here and they are fantastic athletes, it is just that it is a cut throat industry and it is about a club winning footy ... as the END GAME.

View attachment 662713

So Ballantyne for me is my failure. I have a soft spot for him, and I believe if the season goes as I think it will (well) he could be a real asset. I also think he has given his everything to the club and there needs to be some respect and dignity in that. Retiring him mid season would be pretty shite, especially when he is better than some of the small forwards on our list.

I think the decision should be made on Sandi. Either come out with a time frame, I am not apposed to the age, but when the injury is linked to age then that becomes an issue.

Bennell - I would rather delist a bunch of players on our list, which I think will never be starting 22 players. We have an abundance of players that are WAFL players. Harley is an elite AFL player - I just do not see the point of pulling the pin on an underpaid 26 year old, especially when we have an overpaid injured 36 year old (Sandilands) and another WAFL grade player who has been injured at the same age - that would not get picked even with substantial injuries (Kersten).

I have mentioned keep a bunch of players, but I am not convinced they will make it. It makes the Bennell story more compelling, do we bring in another good WAFL player, that simply is not up to AFL - I do not see anyone killing it in the WAFL - so it would be a risk on a younger player around the 18-23 year mark.

On a final note, I also do not see any required upgrade targets for us. Who are we dropping from our best 22? We have to make room for Blakely and Hill yet. Cox just got omitted. Duman is suspended. Darcy can't get a game. I reckon our list is pretty good at the moment.
That is my 2 cents, stats taken from footywire.

That's a dedicated write up. Cheers. I enjoyed it. Make sure you keep it updated.

Michael Bennell doesn’t get enough of the ball for mine:
Rd 1: 8 possessions
Rd 2: 5 possessions
Rd 3: 7 possessions
Rd 4: 4 possessions

Average 6 possessions per game

6 possies, 4 tackles, 2 goals.

I would take that, and last year he was getting 12 to 15 possies, so it suggests to me he is playing deep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back