Mid season draft

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I suppose it’s fair to imply that this will be Sandilands last season.

This season, being able to win the clearance is big. So far, we’ve dominated play when we win the clearance, and fell behind when we don’t. Winning more clearance means better chance of winning the match.
Sandi is much better than Lobb in terms of ruck work. Lobb is better around the ground, much like another midfielder.
IF (big if) we do make the finals, the club will want to be able to choose the best option (better clearance or all roundedness) to win a finals game.

Also as others said, he deserve a proper farewell. And he is still one of the best when fit. It’s not like we’ll be gifting games to him for his farewell or anything.

We don't know that though do we. He hasn't been one of the best in the comp for a very long time. Who knows how good he is now.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't see any reason to be talking mid season draft picks for the sake of it, you would want to be filling (or providing a player who is clearly the next best option in the event of injury) a position on the field where you are deficient. We have depth in most positions that, even if its not all AFL proven, is at least as good as whats going be plucked from the second level, including untried second level players like Bewley.
We're still a developing side, we're not going to win a flag. If Hamling goes down you throw Cox back. Mundy pings a hammy its time to play North, Crowden or Banfield. Every other position we have legitimate options missing games right now.

I think the only type of player picking up in the mid-season draft is the best KPD available to give some immediate depth there.

With the number of untried young midfielders we have, any mid we go for would have to be Kelly like or I wouldnt bother.

We are still a developing side

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
Freo sound like they won't be going to the mid season draft so it's a bit of a moot thread
Steve Rosich said on ABC radio that we're looking at options for the mid season draft. Including options on the East coast.

We do have to have a retirement, or a player on the Long Term injury list, but we're looking around.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Steve Rosich said on ABC radio that we're looking at options for the mid season draft. Including options on the East coast.

We do have to have a retirement, or a player on the Long Term injury list, but we're looking around.

Interesting. A payout for Bennell?

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just keeping options open. Bennell and Sandi could be possibilities. According to Webber they are both working hard to get back.

Touch wood - but what if we suffer a significant injury between now and 27/5/19. We would then be able to have a pick in the mid season draft. Best we prepare as if we’re going to use a pick even if we don’t.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
So anyways... How much of an absolute champion is Sandilands? Yet another amazingly 'strong' character to come out of our supposed "toxic" culture.

It is players like him which is why I will always be a Freo supporter. I really hope he gets on the park again this season and we get to give him a suitable send off. Will be every bit as special as Mundy's 300th or MJ's last game last year. You treat your champions right and it goes a long way to impressing and retaining quality on the list.
Hmm and where has Hackdorn been lately with his accusations and suppositions? Wonderful offer from a champion of the club. Glad they said no as if he can get on the park he could tip us over the edge to real finals contenders...

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
The concept of delisting Sandy is beneficial compared to using a pick to get a player that wouldnt be in the first 5 (in the midseason draft) even if we lost every game till round ten is absurd. Even in the last two years with Sandy in the team we've got 11 wins and 10 losses. Without him 5 wins and 18 losses. He could yet be a key to helping us to a final spot in 2019. Playing in finals game will be a much more significant for our young players than using a highly speculative pick and therefore assist us in progression towards a premiership.

GoFreo4eva

Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love Sandi, highly respect him, dockers legend, love what we has done for the club, etc. etc.

However, while the club would obviously love to have him out there playing, available for finals should we make it, or at least give him a well deserved send-off game, maybe Sandi after nearly 20y of playing and knowing his body, has a fair idea of whether he will play again and his offer suggests he thinks his time is probably over and his body has given up the ghost.

I personally don't think he made that offer thinking that he is taking up space that a state level player could take which the club has a major need for and wants to make room for them. We have enough players including Bennell and Ballas who may not make next years' cut and he knows that. I think he just knows it's his time, as sad as that is, and he is giving the club the option to at least get another player in rather than just retire mid-season as players in the past would, leaving the club a player short.

I think that the assumption or hope that Sandi will just recover from his calf inj in time to slot in to our finals team and help us win the cup is as much unlikely now as assumptions that Bennell will take the field again.

So to address malpaso's direct question, I think Sandi wants to call time and also wants to let the club benefit from the timing (because he's that kind of guy) so I would suggest if the club takes him up on the offer, a KPD would be ideal as back up if Pearce or Hamling go down. That is my greatest concern for this year. I don't know the state level comps very well and are happy for the experts to suggest actual names. Dillon O'Reilly has been suggested by those that know more than me. There are likely others like Sam Collins excelling around the country in the VFL or elsewhere. Logue and Kersten have been plagued by inj and should Pearce and/or Hamling go down, our stellar defense becomes significantly less stellar.

If Sandi wants to retire he can do so at his time of choosing.. He does not need to seek the club’s sanction. I think he is mindful that there is a possibility that the club could pick someone up in the mid season draft and so made the offer as a selfless gesture.

If he genuinely thinks his time is up and he lacks motivation to complete the rehab then he can just call time at his own discretion.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
If Sandi wants to retire he can do so at his time of choosing.. He does not need to seek the club’s sanction. I think he is mindful that there is a possibility that the club could pick someone up in the mid season draft and so made the offer as a selfless gesture.

If he genuinely thinks his time is up and he lacks motivation to complete the rehab then he can just call time at his own discretion.
Not sure why you quoted my post since your comments don't contrast any point I made, but at least it's keeping the crows away

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I noticed this in the mid season draft article on the afl site a few weeks ago under the criteria.

- If an inactive, injured player is fit to play before the season ends, a club can apply to return that player to the primary list in place of another long-term injured player

News to me but if that is the case we put Sandilands on the inactive list anyway and we’re almost guaranteed to a have a long term injury and/or a young non-best 22 that would benefit from early surgery by then anyway.

That and there’s always keeping your options open.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I noticed this in the mid season draft article on the afl site a few weeks ago under the criteria.

- If an inactive, injured player is fit to play before the season ends, a club can apply to return that player to the primary list in place of another long-term injured player

News to me but if that is the case we put Sandilands on the inactive list anyway and we’re almost guaranteed to a have a long term injury and/or a young non-best 22 that would benefit from early surgery by then anyway.

That and there’s always keeping your options open.
You make a great point.

GoFreo4eva

Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure why you quoted my post since your comments don't contrast any point I made, but at least it's keeping the crows away

Quoted because you alluded to the possibility that Sandii's body may have given up the ghost. If that is the case he can simply pull the pin himself.

wafooty85

WA Scout
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Jye Bolton - Claremont? We need more experience and a big body midfielder. I think he could come in and play like Kelly

wafooty85

WA Scout
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I have a feeling that, sadly, we could hear of a giant retirement in the coming days. If this is the case who do you favour for a replacement. Mids seem to be our most pressing need but a backup key defender or a like for like ruck replacement might also come into play.
I would go for
1) Marlon Pickett
2) Dillon O'Reilly (train him as a key back)
3) Mitch Grigg
BOLTON!

Back