Mid season draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Really like the O’Reilly pick.

Really disappointed I missed an opportunity to roll out some “Mayo” quips.

Stoked someone finally gave Pickett a go. I've been super impressed every time I've seen him play and had hoped we would rookie him a couple of years ago.
Can play.
And Cam Sutcliffe gets another go. Had high hopes for him at one point. If he can get his confidence up he's more than handy.

Pretty good thumbs up to Freo recruiting. 2 ex players picked up who didn’t meet the clubs needs but good enough for other afl teams.
McCarthy, Dixon should be a bit nervous. Another Forward at Peel looking to put his hand up

Richmond love their WA Indigenous boys, esp from Souths.
Who ever our scout is in wa has done a great job broad also plucked out of the wafl as well as baker

Pretty good thumbs up to Freo recruiting. 2 ex players picked up who didn’t meet the clubs needs but good enough for other afl teams.
McCarthy, Dixon should be a bit nervous. Another Forward at Peel looking to put his hand up

Given O'Reilly has hardly played seniors and when he has he has played back I don't think this is anything to do with McCarthy or Dixon.

If anything it strikes me more as a "Jeremy McGovern" style see if good reading of the play and a long kick can pay off in defensive role and suggests as others have said that Kersten's card is marked, whilst maybe Logue should also be a bit worried and they have conceded Cox is a forward and/or might be tempting to let him go up for sale at the end of the year. But that is probably reading too much into it.

A thumbs up to the recruiters but is it a thumbs down to our development coaches and academy system? It’s not as if we’re flying at the top of the table and there’s De Boer, Collins, Menegola, Clarke, Deluca, Sheridan and Sutcliffe all running around at other clubs.

I’m picking Strnadica to join that list by this time next year too.

A thumbs up to the recruiters but is it a thumbs down to our development coaches and academy system? It’s not as if we’re flying at the top of the table and there’s De Boer, Collins, Menegola, Clarke, Deluca, Sheridan and Sutcliffe all running around at other clubs.
I'd only take De Boer and Menegola back though (well Sherro too but that is more coz I like the guy).

I’m not sure I’d even take De Boer back.

In a lower side side who struggles to kick goals he’s just another forward who doesn’t kick goals hence why he was delisted. Maybe if we improve massively next year he’d be handy.

Menegola is exactly what we need in the middle unfortunately. Collins would be decent depth - would probably have been traded last year or this year anyway. Not close to best 22 for us but as is obvious now would be for a few teams.

Clarke and Sheridan will be delisted again at the end of the season. Sutcliffe at worst will be like Collins - Ryan and Wilson are better and by a long way. Deluca and Strnadica we’ll wait and see. There’s plenty of youngsters who didn’t develop that made it on a second afl stint. I’m sure the bulldogs would take Dane Rampe back for example.

I’m not sure I’d even take De Boer back.

In a lower side side who struggles to kick goals he’s just another forward who doesn’t kick goals hence why he was delisted. Maybe if we improve massively next year he’d be handy.

Menegola is exactly what we need in the middle unfortunately. Collins would be decent depth - would probably have been traded last year or this year anyway. Not close to best 22 for us but as is obvious now would be for a few teams.

Clarke and Sheridan will be delisted again at the end of the season. Sutcliffe at worst will be like Collins - Ryan and Wilson are better and by a long way. Deluca and Strnadica we’ll wait and see. There’s plenty of youngsters who didn’t develop that made it on a second afl stint. I’m sure the bulldogs would take Dane Rampe back for example.
De Boer is probably because I like the guy too but he has proven to be a pretty handy tagger (monstered Cripps and a few others recently).

If we are wanting to play a tagger then I would prefer to play and develop Banfield. De Boer is better, but that's what happens in a rebuild. But as part of the changes in our game plan we don't play hard tag.

I think there is a bit of recycling happens at this level of player. We lost a couple of decent enough players (Sheridan, Collins, deBoer etc) and picked up a couple of decent enough players (Conca, Colyer, Kersten etc).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so sure about that. His two league games in which he sustained injuries in both he played in the backline. Seemed to play fwd on the weekend in the Reserves (only his third game for the year) and took 10 marks. He will play fwd and back.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah it will be a game of playing him forward and back and see what suits him. I just think that as a kid he has an eye for goal and it would be a shame to let that go to waste. Our back line is stacked for the next 7-10 years as it is and with Tobe coming through and Logue coming back id like to see him and Dixon team up for Peels league team and go for it up forward.

Ive wanted him since day one when he nominated.. big kick and is a beast in 1 on 1s and also has a knack to float infront like Fyfe while everyone is too busy jostling for position. One game from WA he kicks a booming kick that went atleast 60-65m right through the guts and he backed himself the entire time knowing he had the journey.

Fingers crossed he stays commited and makes the most of it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...s-high-and-dry-with-mid-season-draft/11155972

although everyone wants the players to have an opportunity to play at the highest level, the SANFL clubs in this article bring up a valid point about the impact on the teams & leagues that are impacted by players leaving mid-season with no compensation. the WAFL CEO isn't as oppositional though... should they be?

Interesting. I know for a fact that the WAFL clubs are furious about it and they claimed that they had the support of the WAFC to air their views to the AFL. Sounds like they were let done by the WAFL CEO going by that article.

The WAFL were somewhat lucky that the club most effected was Subi who are dominating the comp. It could’ve easily been a lower club that took the hit though.

Dogs list manager didn't seem confident on Gardner playing this year.
Knoll wasn't selected to play this year either according to Sydney's list manager
Carlton's list manager said that they don't expect Deluca to play but he is one for the future which is why they selected him.

Port's list manager was the only one who showed real excitement at the player playing as soon as possible, knows their structures already etc

Well that list manager was playing poker if that is what he said, which isn’t what I remember him saying. The dogs have a number of injuries to KPF/KPD. AFL.com.au has an article indicating that Gardner will be picked to play for the bulldogs this coming weekend.

Knoll will definitely play before the year is out - prob very soon because ole Zac Clarke has been very underwhelming.

What Carlton said about Josh was that they don’t want to put any selection pressure on Josh but he hasn’t been chosen to carry bags.

The mid-season draft for mine worked quite well 50% drafting for needs now and 50% for the future.

Well that list manager was playing poker if that is what he said, which isn’t what I remember him saying. The dogs have a number of injuries to KPF/KPD. AFL.com.au has an article indicating that Gardner will be picked to play for the bulldogs this coming weekend.

Knoll will definitely play before the year is out - prob very soon because ole Zac Clarke has been very underwhelming.

What Carlton said about Josh was that they don’t want to put any selection pressure on Josh but he hasn’t been chosen to carry bags.

The mid-season draft for mine worked quite well 50% drafting for needs now and 50% for the future.

I think you’re thinking of the wrong team re Knoll.

Dogs list manager obviously doesn't have a sit on the match selection comittee because he is straight in!!

Ghee Knoll would be hard pressed to put pressure on Zac Clarke!!! Didn't realise mid season trade period was about to begin!!!!

Carlton said they don't expect Josh to come in and play straight away, definitely said something like that because I was surprised thinking he was ready to go

I’m picking Strnadica to join that list by this time next year too.
Not sure I agree. Each of those players with exception of Deboer (as a tagger) would be bottom 5 IF theyre in the starting 22. Don’t see any other clubs delistings being picked up by other clubs?

Interesting, that the likes of De Boer, Menegola, De Luca, and Mayne have all changed roles.

We had Crowley for years, so it’s a mute point for De Boer. Still, could have done it when Crowley retired.

Mayne and De Luca maybe should have been run through the middle.
Menegola was injured most of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back