Mid season draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing what a week can do in football

Assume we had lost Pearce and Giro the week before - what do you think our strategy would have been in the mid season draft?

A more experienced defender?

Still the same outcome?

Another player altogether?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of the mid season draft.

We went into the season knowing that Kersten, Sandilands, Ballantyne and Bennell had significant long term injuries. Most of them were given one year contracts. The club deliberately began the year 4 short of their list capacity. This is a gamble, and it has upside if it comes off. Guess what? It has a downside if it doesn't.

We also elected to go in with a lot of rucks, but as a group they have no balance to them. To find ourselves down our #1 and 2, but still not wanting to consider 4 and 5 is also a gamble the club chose to go with. 3 is currently hobbling too.

I am not wanting to have a crack at the club and other clubs may have a similar situation. In this regard I don't think their should be a bail out option for clubs who gamble with their list management.

I also hate what it does to the feeder leagues.

I am not a fan of the mid season draft.

We went into the season knowing that Kersten, Sandilands, Ballantyne and Bennell had significant long term injuries. Most of them were given one year contracts. The club deliberately began the year 4 short of their list capacity. This is a gamble, and it has upside if it comes off. Guess what? It has a downside if it doesn't.

We also elected to go in with a lot of rucks, but as a group they have no balance to them. To find ourselves down our #1 and 2, but still not wanting to consider 4 and 5 is also a gamble the club chose to go with. 3 is currently hobbling too.

I am not wanting to have a crack at the club and other clubs may have a similar situation. In this regard I don't think their should be a bail out option for clubs who gamble with their list management.

I also hate what it does to the feeder leagues.
If one of these mature players is upgraded to the main list then the feeder clubs should get payment?
The wafl is already compromised, similar to AFL, where the rich, successful clubs stay on top and the bottom clubs
are just making up the numbers.
AFL choose who they want to help, maximise their profits, or agenda.
Does anyone here think that a moratorium on WA, and P Matera wasn't over the top?
That was the start of the AFL manipulating the competition.
Mid season draft to the bottom 8, would be a better idea than priority picks.

Do we want to spend $70,000 another two times? Or promote Jason Carter for a game?

Agreed - it costs unnecessary money. I doubt we would have gone another pick. Pina remained available to us at our pick and we instead gave a lifeline to O’Reilly.

Some training watches saw him down at the club and he had spent some time with Webber in the offseason. Sounds to me like he was earmarked for the mid-season draft. Sounded like Mayo might have been an interest but was selected right before our pick.

Whilst O’Reilly remains a way off AFL selection in hindsight it has been a wise selection with injuries to Tabs and APearce. He is undergoing conditioning to ready him for WAFL league where we are in desperate need for depth.

Carter can now be upgraded for APearce.

If Dixon can get his form and fitness up for later in the season he could get an AFL game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pearce is a massive blow, and I think this season was realistically preparation for 2020 anyway. Just a little more now. We will get to find out a little bit more about Logue and our defence generally.

It would be a nice little positive to get a couple of games into Carter.

Interesting, that the likes of De Boer, Menegola, De Luca, and Mayne have all changed roles.

We had Crowley for years, so it’s a mute point for De Boer. Still, could have done it when Crowley retired.

Mayne and De Luca maybe should have been run through the middle.
Menegola was injured most of the time.
But he wasn't really injury prone, he was just being played in a role not suited to his strengths. He was being played as a tagger at Peel where he got caught ball watching every week. Evidently once he turned it around for himself he was proven to be a better player offensively than defensively.

But he wasn't really injury prone, he was just being played in a role not suited to his strengths. He was being played as a tagger at Peel where he got caught ball watching every week. Evidently once he turned it around for himself he was proven to be a better player offensively than defensively.
In his last two seasons for the club he played 16 WAFL senior games out of a possible 40.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back