anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
With the mid season draft this Wednesday will the club look at senior level players from the WAFL like Schlensog or players of that ilk.
I am of the opinion that they will look at younger players maybe from the WAFL, but not necessarily there.
I think the club will follow the youth policy.

i heard a rumour that we were pretty interested in one of the victorian 19 year olds but it was only in passing and nothing since then, but i wouldn't be surprised if we don't go with a safe WA pick

Hoping for Derksen
I recon we would pick Derksen but there is no chance he is still there when it's our pick. I hope our list is all forwards and it goes in descending order from tallest to shortest.

I know we have a place on our list for a pick, but do we have space for a pick? Let's find out.

Out of contract end of season:
Primary - Sturt, Logue, Acres, Aish, Wilson, Mundy, Pearce, O'Driscoll, Colyer, Western, Valente
Rookies - Crowden, Blakely, Worner, Banfield

Assuming we have a full list of rookies already it means we need to lose at least one of Crowden, Blakely, Worner of Banfield end of year.

We need to make a minimum of three delistings - one of those is Valente but after him is Nathan Wilson and Joel Western as the only players not to feature in our best twenty two in the minds of people here.

If we are losing players at the end of the year in trade it open the door, bringing in more players in trade and free agency makes it even harder.

So yes I think we can fit someone in at the MSD but there's a strong possibility that the player we pick will be the one pushing David Mundy into retirement and we'd probably get more out of Mundy next year than a player picked Wednesday.

I'm expecting we have a very short list of tall players who if they aren't available - we pass.

Adding to Taylor's comment^. From the FFCs injury report;

'Jye Amiss has been moved to Fremantle’s long term inactive list after sustaining a kidney injury in a contest when representing Peel against South Fremantle on 21 May.

The move gives Fremantle the option to take an additional player in the mid season draft with one spot in their list already available due to the pre-season retirement of Luke Valente.

Bell said Fremantle are now considering whether to draft one or two players on Wednesday evening.'

Interesting, real interesting but also, does that mean Jye is out for the year? That really sucks
Jye is out if we take the 2nd pick, if we don't then he can come off the LTI list

If we take the second pick and another player gets a season ender then Jye can come off the list while another player goes on the list

So there is wiggle room

I know we have a place on our list for a pick, but do we have space for a pick? Let's find out.

Out of contract end of season:
Primary - Sturt, Logue, Acres, Aish, Wilson, Mundy, Pearce, O'Driscoll, Colyer, Western, Valente
Rookies - Crowden, Blakely, Worner, Banfield

Assuming we have a full list of rookies already it means we need to lose at least one of Crowden, Blakely, Worner of Banfield end of year.

We need to make a minimum of three delistings - one of those is Valente but after him is Nathan Wilson and Joel Western as the only players not to feature in our best twenty two in the minds of people here.

If we are losing players at the end of the year in trade it open the door, bringing in more players in trade and free agency makes it even harder.

So yes I think we can fit someone in at the MSD but there's a strong possibility that the player we pick will be the one pushing David Mundy into retirement and we'd probably get more out of Mundy next year than a player picked Wednesday.

I'm expecting we have a very short list of tall players who if they aren't available - we pass.
Crowden and Blakely are likely gone at the end of the year so thats the 2 msd rookies

Hughes is the interesting one though, out of everyone on our list Hughes is most likely to not be poached and therefore to be delisted and rookied but he just got his upgrade so he may not want to go back on the rookie list (even though its only a change by name) would lose us another rookie spot if this happens but we may need to make primary list space by doing this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting, real interesting but also, does that mean Jye is out for the year? That really sucks

I believe the rules have been changed so we can bring him back.

The issue is someone else has to be added to the inactive list for Amiss to come off it. Given this, I’d say the club thinks he’s out for the season.

Crowden and Blakely are likely gone at the end of the year so thats the 2 msd rookies

Hughes is the interesting one though, out of everyone on our list Hughes is most likely to not be poached and therefore to be delisted and rookied but he just got his upgrade so he may not want to go back on the rookie list (even though its only a change by name) would lose us another rookie spot if this happens but we may need to make primary list space by doing this.

Hughes has just spent three years on the rookie list despite being pretty much a best 22 player that whole time. I don’t think he cares tbh. I’d think we only move him back if we decide to promote a rookie. Given Schultz, Treacy and Banfield all go into their third year in the rookie list next year, it’d be a decent piece of list management to elevate one to the senior list imo.

I wouldn’t think we’d create a second spot in the MSD if we don’t intend to use it. At worst it’d be that there’s a shortlist of x amount of players and we’ll take a pick/s if one of those players is on the board at the time.

We’ve been linked to Derksen, Teakle and Strom which suggests we want a forward/ruck. I’ve seen us linked to Kuek from East Perth as well. He’s 195cm but moves like he’s 10cm shorter - problem is he’s listed as 73kg (personally I’d be shocked if he’s under 80kg - he’s light though). Clubs see him playing in a medium forward type role at AFL level.

My prediction for Wednesday is Strom and Kuek, only because I think Derksen and Teakle will be gone.

In my opinion the following players will DEFINITELY be delisted at the end of the season:
Blakely
Wilson
Crowden

I predict we will lose at least one player via trade - maybe Lobb, Logue even Tucker or meek or hamling. Possibly two players here but let’s say one for now.

Then Valente is retired. That’s 5 spots.

I think that Banfield should and probably will be delisted at the end of the year. Logues successful move forward as a third tall was damaging for his medium term prospects this season of AFL gametime.

That would be 6 spots.
Then we are looking at the likes of Western and Sturt and Worner. I think they should and will all be extended on one year deals.

After that you start looking at people like Mundy and Colyer. Both playing regularly in their 30s and so will probably get one year deals.

People like Hughes, hamling and even Henry are lucky they have a year left in contract.

Hughes has just spent three years on the rookie list despite being pretty much a best 22 player that whole time. I don’t think he cares tbh. I’d think we only move him back if we decide to promote a rookie. Given Schultz, Treacy and Banfield all go into their third year in the rookie list next year, it’d be a decent piece of list management to elevate one to the senior list imo.

I wouldn’t think we’d create a second spot in the MSD if we don’t intend to use it. At worst it’d be that there’s a shortlist of x amount of players and we’ll take a pick/s if one of those players is on the board at the time.

We’ve been linked to Derksen, Teakle and Strom which suggests we want a forward/ruck. I’ve seen us linked to Kuek from East Perth as well. He’s 195cm but moves like he’s 10cm shorter - problem is he’s listed as 73kg (personally I’d be shocked if he’s under 80kg - he’s light though). Clubs see him playing in a medium forward type role at AFL level.

My prediction for Wednesday is Strom and Kuek, only because I think Derksen and Teakle will be gone.
I’ve seen Kuek play live playing FF he was bloody impressive as you say he’s slight but the leap on the guy would be an ideal third tall very good when the ball hits the ground worth while rookie spot for someone.

In my opinion the following players will DEFINITELY be delisted at the end of the season:
Blakely
Wilson
Crowden

I predict we will lose at least one player via trade - maybe Lobb, Logue even Tucker or meek or hamling. Possibly two players here but let’s say one for now.

Then Valente is retired. That’s 5 spots.

I think that Banfield should and probably will be delisted at the end of the year. Logues successful move forward as a third tall was damaging for his medium term prospects this season of AFL gametime.

That would be 6 spots.
Then we are looking at the likes of Western and Sturt and Worner. I think they should and will all be extended on one year deals.

After that you start looking at people like Mundy and Colyer. Both playing regularly in their 30s and so will probably get one year deals.

People like Hughes, hamling and even Henry are lucky they have a year left in contract.

Honestly I think you’ve almost nailed it.

Thing is I can’t see Banfield getting delisted. He’s simply playing far too often. He’d probably have to barely play another game from here for it to be a possibility. Our lack of medium forwards probably works in his favour too.

Also think we’d keep Henry another year anyway tbh.

The internal dilemma I'm having is that the players I want aren't the players we need.

The two who stand out to me are Mitch O'Neill and Joshua Browne. O'Neill in particular would be very unlucky not to get picked up by someone. Absolutely killing it this year.

Hamish Brayshaw is having a good patch as well. He was the Royals' best in a team that was flogged by the Tigers, and had 31 against Subi the week before. This weekend he had 22 against the bye (Eagles), 7 tackles and kicked 3.2

I'm coming around to Derkson as well - thanks to Dormammu

I’ve seen Kuek play live playing FF he was bloody impressive as you say he’s slight but the leap on the guy would be an ideal third tall very good when the ball hits the ground worth while rookie spot for someone.

The trend last year was for clubs to go local, especially after the first 5 picks (there was around 20 players taken).

Of course they’ll be outliers here and there but tbh I’m thinking him and Strom should be available at our first pick. This is:
1. Brisbane have been linked to Strom.
2. West Coast have a second pick, although I’m not sure forwards are their biggest need.
Which one do you take? Do you pick the best player of the two or think strategic and pick the one more likely to be selected by the second selection.

Last edited:
I still feel Derksen could be available at our pick.
He was only given the exemption late in the day, and uprooting a guy with a young family from WA for a 6 month contract is off putting for a lot of eastern states clubs.
He’s a speculative type too as a tall forward, it’s not like marlion Pickett where he was the clear best player in the WAFL and the tigers needed a mature ready to go option.

Hold up a moment - surely we aren’t going to take two 198cm players in Strom and Derksen?
What are we going to do with them? We would have 4 key forwards behind tabs and Lobb then.
That’s overkill.
We need a small forward. Even a medium forward. One of Kantilla, Menzie, or kahan hall would all make more sense than Derksen AND strom.
What about florenca? He looked different class last week in the WAFL game against our second string guys.

Hold up a moment - surely we aren’t going to take two 198cm players in Strom and Derksen?
What are we going to do with them? We would have 4 key forwards behind tabs and Lobb then.
That’s overkill.
We need a small forward. Even a medium forward. One of Kantilla, Menzie, or kahan hall would all make more sense than Derksen AND strom.
What about florenca? He looked different class last week in the WAFL game against our second string guys.
Doesn't Strom play everywhere though, even on the wing?

I don't see the fascination with Strom. He is 28!! idc if he can play multiple positions. I agree with Dockeroo. Derkson may still be there due to having a family and not wanting to be uprooted for a short term contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back