Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne going to take Robert Hansen Jr. at pick 2 according to The West

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't make a selection now

Mitch Robinson with some shameless self promotion.

'I nominated for the mid-season draft'
Do I expect to get picked up? No. But I am match fit AF.' 🤣

Seriously, we'd have nothing to lose from taking any of Trezise, Stanley or Naismith if any of them are around at our pick. If we don't use the spot it just stays vacant all year, if we can find someone who is willing to take a 6 month contract why not use the spot? But no Mitch Robinson.

How many more average players do West coast need?

Average will be good for them right now and would probably put said player into their top 10 best players.

Would love for Sydney to redraft him. Are they allowed?
As far as I know they can. I suspect Sydney are more focused on key defenders though, given their most pressing needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, we'd have nothing to lose from taking any of Trezise, Stanley or Naismith if any of them are around at our pick. If we don't use the spot it just stays vacant all year, if we can find someone who is willing to take a 6 month contract why not use the spot? But no Mitch Robinson.

Bell has come out prior to every MSD, including last week, saying they don't want to uproot players from jobs/family/location just for the hell of it. They are only taking a player they genuinely think can make it and have no intention of putting anyone on the list for 6 months and then cutting them.

Bell has come out prior to every MSD, including last week, saying they don't want to uproot players from jobs/family/location just for the hell of it. They are only taking a player they genuinely think can make it and have no intention of putting anyone on the list for 6 months and then cutting them.
If the player is young and keen that won't be an issue.

43e95830d0064c5589bda484276de2e0--childhood-characters-my-childhood.jpg

We do have something to lose also: they would take up development opportunities for players who have a higher ceiling but are currently not there yet. Naismith would push Reidy into reserves and Knobel into a nothing position in reserves, Trezise possibly poses a similar issue for gametime to Draper and Davies whilst Stanley probably pushes Worner into the reserves. Does that help us at all in the long term? There is no point to just taking players for the sake of it.

We do have something to lose also: they would take up development opportunities for players who have a higher ceiling but are currently not there yet. Naismith would push Reidy into reserves and Knobel into a nothing position in reserves, Trezise possibly poses a similar issue for gametime to Draper and Davies whilst Stanley probably pushes Worner into the reserves. Does that help us at all in the long term? There is no point to just taking players for the sake of it.
I don't think any opf those development outcomes is really likely. No chance any of the likes of Reidy, Draper or Worner get moved anywhere by a single MSD draft choice. What is likely is if we don't use the pick, and then next week we get another unexpected injury (say Reidy or Kuek go down, or Worner / Draper do their knee), we have no depth options at all. Even if the player we take only ever plays reserves for us, it is a no lose outcome, unless we are seriously so close to the salary cap that we can't afford any more contracts of any kind. Which we aint.

I don't think any opf those development outcomes is really likely. No chance any of the likes of Reidy, Draper or Worner get moved anywhere by a single MSD draft choice. What is likely is if we don't use the pick, and then next week we get another unexpected injury (say Reidy or Kuek go down, or Worner / Draper do their knee), we have no depth options at all. Even if the player we take only ever plays reserves for us, it is a no lose outcome, unless we are seriously so close to the salary cap that we can't afford any more contracts of any kind. Which we aint.

If we don't have depth options already why are Knobel, Benning and Williams playing in reserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back