Review Mid Season positives

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Ok, so no-one is more p!ssed off than I am at how diabolically bad our season has been and the decisions that led to it.

However, even in the worst storms there are some positives to be found (if you look hard enough). It is slim pickings I know, but here are my thoughts on some of the positives so far this year.

1. Tom Doedee - has been exceptional. He has certainly found it tougher the last few weeks as our defence has been inundated, but he has held up really well. Certainly has filled the Lever vacancy and then some. Has a big future ahead of him, lets just hope he stays for his whole career. Should win the Rising Star but will probably be overlooked for a midfielder who gets better numbers.
  2. Wayne Milera - just glimpses so far, but beginning to really show that he has a future. I was really concerned that he was shirking contests early in his career, but seems to have fixed that and is now not afraid to throw himself in to a contest. Has been breaking lines and mostly kicking well. Has a future.
  3. Jordan Gallucci - again just glimpses, but he has something to work with. Needs to improve defensive side of his game enormously. Just completely ignores it at the moment, but hopefully can find improvement here. If he does he will be a very handy player once he has 100 games to his name.
  4. Paul Seedsman - has dropped off a little but had a patch that showed why we recruited him. Would be useful as the extra cream on the cake if we had everyone available.
  5. Daniel Talia - despite the horrendous smashing the backlines have been copping, he continues to get the job done. Rarely beaten.
  6. Richard Douglas - might cop some flack for this one, but I actually think he is one of the very few senior players who has stood up and played well. Not every week, but across the season, one of the few who has at least held up his side of the bargain.
  7. Darcy Fogarty - doesn't get enough of the ball yet, but has shown some glimpses. Is a beast, tackles with intent and has some class. Will be a player.
  8. Ben Davis - after almost missing the entire year last year, Ben has strung a few games together and begun to show what he is capable of. Playing in the SANFL forward line must be one of the toughest gigs going around at the moment, but he as certainly shown he has some x-factor. Not sure if he has the desire to make a career at AFL level, but has at least shown something.
  9. The Heat - the AFC boys club is finally feeling some heat from supporters and the media. It is long overdue. Let's hope that Fagan sees what is happening and has the courage to make some significant changes. I'm listing the sh!t storm as a positive as I really am hopeful that out of the debacle our fitness program and CM have been, that something positive for the future will occur. Had we managed to hang on to 4-8 spot, I suspect nothing would have been looked at and we would have had the same cr@p over the next few years.
Slim pickings as I said and if we wanted to list the negatives or players who have gone backwards, it would be a much longer list, but there have been at least a few positives.

Last edited:
Tom Doedee - By a Mile/kilometre +600m . Still in a strong Rising Star contention.

Jordan Gallucci - Really happy to see him start to blossom. Saw him at Noarlunga in last years JLT and liked a few things. Just happy for him to be given an extended run at it

Daniel Talia- Gee I hope he isnt disaffected :(

Paul Seedsman - Finally a string of games to show his talent

Rory Laird - Solid

Darcy Fogarty- Just has it.

Tom Doedee - By a Mile/kilometre +600m . Still in a strong Rising Star contention.

Jordan Gallucci - Really happy to see him start to blossom. Saw him at Noarlunga in last years JLT and liked a few things. Just happy for him to be given an extended run at it

Daniel Talia- Gee I hope he isnt disaffected :(

Paul Seedsman - Finally a string of games to show his talent

Rory Laird - Solid

Darcy Fogarty- Just has it.

Agree on Talia. He is the one I'd be ost gutted if is unnamed other disaffected contracted player. Most irreplaceable.

Anyway, positives... hmmmmmm.

Doedee - Has been brilliant pretty much all season. He even managed to shut Marty up for a while.

Laird - Would still be leading our BnF.

Talia - Sensing a defender theme here...... Huge under enormous pressure.

Seedsman - Until the weekend when injury got him he has been the linebreaker we desperately needed.

Fogarty/Poholke - Put these to together because they've both shown some glimpses of talent whilst had some poor moments. Still lots to work with, especially the former.

Greenwood - Great form off a short summer. Needs to add some more outside work to his game.

Milera - Weve found his spot, now we need to unlock the consistency.

Gallucci - He has something. Speed, evasiveness, aggression. Just needs to find a bit more of the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed a new deal, so he won't be. I also fail to see how we are so hell bent on blaming him for that. He went back with the flight of the ball and got crunched. Greenwood hacking the ball forward and Gooch for getting Motlop were the reasons why........

Anyway, positives... hmmmmmm.

Doedee - Has been brilliant pretty much all season. He even managed to shut Marty up for a while.

Laird - Would still be leading our BnF.

Talia - Sensing a defender theme here...... Huge under enormous pressure.

Seedsman - Until the weekend when injury got him he has been the linebreaker we desperately needed.

Fogarty/Poholke - Put these to together because they've both shown some glimpses of talent whilst had some poor moments. Still lots to work with, especially the former.

Greenwood - Great form off a short summer. Needs to add some more outside work to his game.

Milera - Weve found his spot, now we need to unlock the consistency.

Gallucci - He has something. Speed, evasiveness, aggression. Just needs to find a bit more of the ball.
I’d have Doedee as our best and fairest to this point..

Kid gives 110% every week... wins his position most weeks even when the team is getting beaten.. has beaten some of the best in the comp one on one including Martin in round 2.. just solid.

Have we ever had a bloke in his first year in AFL at the club win the club’s best and fairest?..

* counting up any tally on a stupid leader board... the years been bloody terrible yet this lad has been an absolute shining light. Give him a shiny new contract with bigger coin and some accolades.. and hopefully he won’t go home in a couple of years!..

I’d have Doedee as our best and fairest to this point..

Kid gives 110% every week... wins his position most weeks even when the team is getting beaten.. has beaten some of the best in the comp one on one including Martin in round 2.. just solid.

Have we ever had a bloke in his first year in AFL at the club win the club’s best and fairest?..

**** counting up any tally on a stupid leader board... the years been bloody terrible yet this lad has been an absolute shining light. Give him a shiny new contract with bigger coin and some accolades.. and hopefully he won’t go home in a couple of years!..

I reckon Laird will win the B&F by the largest margin in Crows history

Doedee, Talia, Gibbs, Seedsman rounding out the top 5 in no particular order

One huge positive is we have decided to play terrible football in a year with excellent SA talent in the draft
Not really. We traded out our 2018 second, third and fourth round picks - so us finishing really low doesn't really help anything but our natural first rounder - right? The rest of our picks are reliant on where another team finishes. Sure we have Carlton to thank for a couple of upgrades ... but that has nothing to do with us crashing and burning this season.

Current draft picks - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2018-nominal-afl-draft-order-based-on-current-ladder.1179329/

Not really. We traded out our 2018 second, third and fourth round picks - so us finishing really low doesn't really help anything but our natural first rounder - right? The rest of our picks are reliant on where another team finishes. Sure we have Carlton to thank for a couple of upgrades ... but that has nothing to do with us crashing and burning this season.

Current draft picks - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2018-nominal-afl-draft-order-based-on-current-ladder.1179329/

The first round pick is key; that's where all the SA talent is. The second round pick would be mid-20s and the other picks completely irrelevant.

The first round pick is key; that's where all the SA talent is. The second round pick would be mid-20s and the other picks completely irrelevant.
I agree, but the poor season is only going to influence a single pick in the draft - one player is not fixing what we have going down there at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, if we get Rankine with that first pick ... that is a great start :)

Other factors might have a bigger influence. We are yet to see Lynch or Sloane sign ... we might have a few more early picks yet to play with once the dust settles and we get an indication of who wants out. Add in a decent player clean out for the likes of Rory Atkins, David Mackay, Andy Otten, Sam Gibson, Kyle Cheney, Cameron Ellis Yolmen, Curtly Hampton, Paul Hunter ... and there is some change a-comin' !!

I guess the chance to reset could be maximised this season if it all goes like it looks like going. We should lose our next 3 games, giving us 6 wins with 6 games to go. So yeah, we are probably going to finish the season out of the 8 and lose a few players to trades, a bunch delisted ... that would work out pretty well with the SA talent coming through and a couple of Hamish specials.

I agree, but the poor season is only going to influence a single pick in the draft - one player is not fixing what we have going down there at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, if we get Rankine with that first pick ... that is a great start :)

Other factors might have a bigger influence. We are yet to see Lynch or Sloane sign ... we might have a few more early picks yet to play with once the dust settles and we get an indication of who wants out. Add in a decent player clean out for the likes of Rory Atkins, David Mackay, Andy Otten, Sam Gibson, Kyle Cheney, Cameron Ellis Yolmen, Curtly Hampton, Paul Hunter ... and there is some change a-comin' !!

I guess the chance to reset could be maximised this season if it all goes like it looks like going. We should lose our next 3 games, giving us 6 wins with 6 games to go. So yeah, we are probably going to finish the season out of the 8 and lose a few players to trades, a bunch delisted ... that would work out pretty well with the SA talent coming through and a couple of Hamish specials.

Well our finish could also influence a compensation pick for Sloane.

The difference between having pick 16 and pick 6 in this draft is massive in any case. That could be the difference between a Douglas type and a genuine superstar.

The difference between having 35 and 25 is negligible in most drafts so the fact we don't have that pick and instead have Carlton's 3rd isn't that massive.

Plus with a lower finish we might be more inclined to piss off a few players through trade like Lynch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive: Only half of the season to go!
You mean half the season left!!!

We get back Sloane, Lynch and Laird next week.
Tex gets another week to get fitness up.
Sauce is back.
Smith is coming along nicely.
McG only a few weeks away now.

It's time to kick the Tyres and light the fires bigdaddy.

Feels like a prisoner commenting on how nice the weather is, as he walks up to the execution scaffold...
The big difference is that we still have more days of weather commentary ahead..

The analogy is more similar to a year 12 student commenting on the air, trees and roses as he sets foot in an exam room knowing full well he's gonna * up the exam! (There will always be next year!)

You mean half the season left!!!

We get back Sloane, Lynch and Laird next week.
Tex gets another week to get fitness up.
Sauce is back.
Smith is coming along nicely.
McG only a few weeks away now.

It's time to kick the Tyres and light the fires bigdaddy.
Is it wrong to say that I don't really want to now? Feel like I've settled for a top 10 draft pick and that's that

* young kids showing grunt - Fog and Doedee in particular are going to be solid stars: Galluci and Polhoke look to be making steady improvements; Milera looking more confident this year and playing more consistently.

* Laird, Talia and Seedsman have been solid and reasonably consistent. Douglas has been good also.

* with the run of injuries this year, we have more probability next year having lesser amount of injuries!

* fans are quickly learning a lot about lower leg anatomy and fancy synonyms to a "hamstring injury".

* like scorpus has said, if we're going to * it up in a season, and with the superdraft of local talent, then missing out this season is not going to hurt as much!

That solely relies on the sackings of Burton and Hass. Otherwise it will get worse, not better.
Whether they'd get the sack or not, it'd be mighty silly of anyone in our fitness department not trying a new formula for next year's preseason training.

Whether they'd get the sack or not, it'd be mighty silly of anyone in our fitness department not trying a new formula for next year's preseason training.
Yep that's what we need. Those guys making up different s**t next year. Driver awareness next year maybe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back