Review MID SEASON REVIEW

Remove this Banner Ad

PurpleReign95

Senior List
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
My take on how the dockers players have gone so far this season using the old school report method

Excellent
Walters, Michael
Neale, Lachie
Blakely, Connor
Collins, Samuel

High
Pavlich, Matthew
Barlow, Michael
Crozier, Hayden
Pearce, Alex
Weller, Lachlan

Satisfactory
Mundy, David
Griffin, Jonathon
Dawson, Zac
Spurr, Lee
Hill, Stephen
Suban, Nicholas
Taberner, Matthew
Smith, Tanner (R)
Hughes, Ethan
Grey, Brady
Langdon, Ed
Tucker, Darcy

Mediorce
Pearce, Danyle
Ballantyne, Hayden
Mayne, Christopher
Sutcliffe, Cameron
Sheridan, Thomas

Poor
Mzungu, Tendai
Ibbotson, Garrick
De Boer, Matthew
Pearce, Clancee
Clarke, Zachary
Hannath, Jack

NA
Sandilands, Aaron
Johnson, Michael
Silvagni, Alex
Yarran, Shane
Fyfe, Nathan
Morabito, Anthony (R)
Hurley, Sean (R)
Deluca, Joshua (R)
Nyhuis, Ryan (R)
Bennell, Harley
Uebergang, Matthew (R)
Apeness, Michael

Like to listen to more mid-season review download the purple reign on the links below
https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/the-purple-reign/id1086537671?mt=2\
http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/freo-mid-season-review_82026

If Wellers in the "high" category, I think Tabs should be too.
Not saying Tabs has been AMAZING or anything, but I don't think Weller has either ... they've both had good games and bad (as you'd expect in a young player) But it looks to me like the reviews based on expectations/where they should be and I do think Taberners ahead of where we all predicted at start of year.

My attempt at it
Excellent
Walters, Michael - Self explanatory
Neale, Lachie - elite
Blakely, Connor - Gun
Collins, Samuel - Been Excellent since coming into the side, better then anyones expectations
Pavlich, Matthew - Has been amazing this year
Pearce, Alex - Best U21 KPD

High
Barlow, Michael - Started slow, finishing on a high
Crozier, Hayden - Move to half back, will be in excellent category at end of year
Weller, Lachlan - Gun
Taberner, Matthew - Improving extremely well
Mayne, Christopher - Critically underrated on here, inaccurate yes but has played some absolute blinders recently
Hill, Stephen - underrated on here, not having a bad season, yes he has a high base output but he really hasn't been as bad as others think.

Satisfactory
Mundy, David -Injuries held him back, working into the season
Griffin, Jonathon - We haven't been dominating the midfield like we used to but still doing alright
Spurr, Lee - helped to hold our backline together
Suban, Nicholas - better then expected since being moved to the outside
Smith, Tanner (R) - playing games was more then i expected
Hughes, Ethan - getting games, injury has held him back
Grey, Brady - could have been higher but we weren't playing him in the AFL, dissapointed in that as i reckon he did show something when he played
Tucker, Darcy - looks to be part of our future
Ballantyne, Hayden - has played some great games, added back of the square play to his bow aswell, blame our team for his lack of scoring, not him
Pearce, Danyle - pretty much what was expected

Mediorce
Sutcliffe, Cameron - dissapointing that he was dropped, needs to step up but he has a future
Sheridan, Thomas - hopefully gets back to his best, looks dangerous off a wing with 3 goals in the last 4 games i think
Dawson, Zac - Doesn't add anything offensively and is beaten too often by his man now, not good enough from someone experienced and has played much better.
Langdon, Ed - not getting games in the AFL and seems to have been passed by Tucker, does his thing at WAFL but obviously needs to show more to the coaches, may not be getting games because he hasn't signed but he could rectify that if he wanted too.

Poor
Mzungu, Tendai - game has passed him
Ibbotson, Garrick - dissapointing year, back him to still be a part of our future
De Boer, Matthew - hopefully finds a club who plays him in barlow/priddis position, is too good for WAFL
Pearce, Clancee - too slow at AFL level
Clarke, Zachary - Show us some heart Zac, you have the talent
Hannath, Jack - just not good enough

NA
Sandilands, Aaron
Johnson, Michael
Silvagni, Alex
Yarran, Shane
Fyfe, Nathan - really impressed by his step into a coaching role too
Morabito, Anthony (R)
Hurley, Sean (R)
Deluca, Joshua (R)
Nyhuis, Ryan (R)
Bennell, Harley
Uebergang, Matthew (R)
Apeness, Michael

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent
Neale, Lachie

High
Michael Walters
Blakely, Connor
Weller, Lachlan
Crozier, Hayden

Satisfactory
Collins, Samuel
Barlow, Michael
Pearce, Alex
Mundy, David
Griffin, Jonathon
Dawson, Zac
Spurr, Lee
Hill, Stephen
Suban, Nicholas
Taberner, Matthew
Smith, Tanner (R)
Hughes, Ethan
Grey, Brady
Langdon, Ed
Tucker, Darcy
Pearce, Danyle

Mediorce

Ballantyne, Hayden
Pavlich, Matthew (reflexes of a sloth and turning circle of a bus)
Mayne, Christopher
Sutcliffe, Cameron
Sheridan, Thomas

Excellent
Neale, Lachie

High
Michael Walters
Blakely, Connor
Weller, Lachlan
Crozier, Hayden

Satisfactory
Collins, Samuel
Barlow, Michael
Pearce, Alex
Mundy, David
Griffin, Jonathon
Dawson, Zac
Spurr, Lee
Hill, Stephen
Suban, Nicholas
Taberner, Matthew
Smith, Tanner (R)
Hughes, Ethan
Grey, Brady
Langdon, Ed
Tucker, Darcy
Pearce, Danyle

Mediorce

Ballantyne, Hayden
Pavlich, Matthew (reflexes of a sloth and turning circle of a bus)
Mayne, Christopher
Sutcliffe, Cameron
Sheridan, Thomas

Thankfully you have put Collins in the satisfactory, I like him too but he was being massively overrated on other lists. He may still battle to get a game in a full strength team.

Everyone one has Ballas so low, he is significantly better than that horrid last year (lot of injuries) thought he has been satisfactory in a year of little opportunity for our small forwards.

Thankfully you have put Collins in the satisfactory, I like him too but he was being massively overrated on other lists. He may still battle to get a game in a full strength team.

Everyone one has Ballas so low, he is significantly better than that horrid last year (lot of injuries) thought he has been satisfactory in a year of little opportunity for our small forwards.
True just checked his stats he is only slightly less then walters, and is slightly better then pav and definitely better then last year, but i expected more, but hes still in my top 22

No one would believe we are 3-11 from reading this thread...

I wouldn't have Mundy or Hill at satisfactory. Maybe without context they have been serviceable but they have been very disappointing compared to what they are capable of, especially Hill.

If we use the performance (to role)/potential management model:

High Performance High Potential:
Blakely - expectation was to average around 15 possessions off the bench, has done way more on limited game time. With a bigger body, better endurance and more experience (and tidying up the kicking) has the potential to be a gun ruck rover.
Collins - wasn't expecting him to play but has stepped up to do a more than adequate defensive role. Has the height and speed to lock in a KP in coming years.
Crozier - again wasn't expecting him to play much off a limited preaseason or at best be a bit player. Has had a significant impact in defence particularly with the rebound, and could get better with more experience in the defensive aspects.

Average Performance High Potential:
Weller - has shown a bit in my opinion but consistency has let him down - has met expectations. Has massive potential as either a forward or outside midfielder.
Tucker - again shown enough for a complete newbie which is what I expected. Lots to work with.

Walters - has got more possessions bit kicked less goals and been less effective, a function of moving up the ground. IMO has potential to elevate to a level where he can win 3-4 games a season "on his own".

Underperformed High Potential
Langdon - should have forced his way into the team, hasn't. Has speed to burn, get heaps of possessions at WAFL level.

High Performance Average Potential:
Taberner: borderline on high potential but also on average performance. Has had some fantastic games that I didn't expect but a lot of games that were at expectation. Still not sure whether he can make it as a key forward, but obviously there is some scope to increase number of goals.

Barlow has exceeded expectations (which were tempered because of age) particularly as a tagger. Borderline low potential, but wouldn't suprise if there is some interest trade week.

Average Performance Average Potential:
Neale - Borderline on high potential. Has got more disposals with massive numbers and very good linking play but has been less effective and productive (less goals) and his direct opponents have often run riot. Part of this is down to the loss of Fyfe; with others back in the midfield should be able to lift a bit more offensively.

Underperformed Average Potential
Hill - has not reached anything like his previous three years output which I would have expected. Can still be one of the top outside mids in the comp.

Clarke - borderline high potential. This should have been his turn to shine but he hasn't.

High Performance Low Potential
Pavlich

Average Performance Low Potential
Mundy
Spurr
Ballantyne
Pearce
Dawson

Low Performance Low Potential
Everyone else.

If we use the performance (to role)/potential management model:

High Performance High Potential:
Blakely - expectation was to average around 15 possessions off the bench, has done way more on limited game time. With a bigger body, better endurance and more experience (and tidying up the kicking) has the potential to be a gun ruck rover.
Collins - wasn't expecting him to play but has stepped up to do a more than adequate defensive role. Has the height and speed to lock in a KP in coming years.
Crozier - again wasn't expecting him to play much off a limited preaseason or at best be a bit player. Has had a significant impact in defence particularly with the rebound, and could get better with more experience in the defensive aspects.

Average Performance High Potential:
Weller - has shown a bit in my opinion but consistency has let him down - has met expectations. Has massive potential as either a forward or outside midfielder.
Tucker - again shown enough for a complete newbie which is what I expected. Lots to work with.

Walters - has got more possessions bit kicked less goals and been less effective, a function of moving up the ground. IMO has potential to elevate to a level where he can win 3-4 games a season "on his own".

Underperformed High Potential
Langdon - should have forced his way into the team, hasn't. Has speed to burn, get heaps of possessions at WAFL level.

High Performance Average Potential:
Taberner: borderline on high potential but also on average performance. Has had some fantastic games that I didn't expect but a lot of games that were at expectation. Still not sure whether he can make it as a key forward, but obviously there is some scope to increase number of goals.

Barlow has exceeded expectations (which were tempered because of age) particularly as a tagger. Borderline low potential, but wouldn't suprise if there is some interest trade week.

Average Performance Average Potential:
Neale - Borderline on high potential. Has got more disposals with massive numbers and very good linking play but has been less effective and productive (less goals) and his direct opponents have often run riot. Part of this is down to the loss of Fyfe; with others back in the midfield should be able to lift a bit more offensively.

Underperformed Average Potential
Hill - has not reached anything like his previous three years output which I would have expected. Can still be one of the top outside mids in the comp.

Clarke - borderline high potential. This should have been his turn to shine but he hasn't.

High Performance Low Potential
Pavlich

Average Performance Low Potential
Mundy
Spurr
Ballantyne
Pearce
Dawson

Low Performance Low Potential
Everyone else.
Oooo controversial. Gonna raise some eyebrows.

Ballaz - ok in patches, better than last year.
Morabito - frustrating, make or break two months coming.
Dawson - serviceable.
Bennell - biggest disappointment in my time as a Freo fan not being able to see him.
Ibbo - poor
DPearce - serviceable
Fyfe - very good while he was playing, 2 of his games were outstanding.
Suban - ok
DeBoer - great he is playing at Peel : )
Walters - very good, has shown he can play in the middle which will help in 2017.
Sheridan - patchy but think he will improve.
Griffin - serviceable
Mzungu - see DeBoer
Weller - exciting, would like to see more possessions but he will make it.
Hughes - I am not a fan, but will reserve judgement until he has another few games in the AFL team.
Mundy - has tried hard but will be a year to forget for him.
Crozier - very good last 5 weeks, has saved his career.
Tucker - promising, a rising star nom would be a good year for him.
Blakely - so impressive, can see him being an A-grader, is a quicker Hasleby.
Tabs - has been good, still a few moments to forget but think he has turned the corner and will be a player we rely on in 2017.
TSmith - going ok until injury, big call on his future.
Mayne - frustrating as, the momentum stopper at times, enjoyed the easy pickings in a few wins, always trying.
Balic - write off this year.
APearce - A-grader of the future
Langdon - big two months coming, hasn't quite shown what others have but may have been harsh to drop him, would like to see him play on a wing.
Neale - excellent, may get an AA selection.
Grey - is a DeBoer type, not sure he will be best 22 ever.
Pav - some moments have brought a tear to my eye, will never be anything other than a legend in my mind.
Clarke - p-weak.
Sandi - bring on 2017
Hill - kicking is off, has had so many chances to kick goals and hasn't, if he kicks them next year will be AA.
Sutcliffe - our most overrated player imo, shanks too many kicks for mine, is borderline B22 going forward.
Spurr - serviceable, more polish will be nice but he is commited as they come.
Apeness - hopefully we see him in the last few rounds, liked what I have seen, albeit not much.
Silvagni - bye bye, a shame any time we might need him he gets injured himself.
MJ - next year will be his last, hasn't been the same since that back injury against Port rd 23, 2014.
Hannath - the worst player we have had on our list in 15 years.
DeLuca - probably wont be around in 2017.
Collins - I like what I see, big strong, smart player, will take the 2nd best forward in future with APearce taking the guns.
Yarran - disappointing, couldn't get his body right, got his body right and then got in trouble, could be a surprise delisting but hope he shows us something late as I think he Is capable.
Uebergang - sounds like a prospect
Nyhuis - haven't seen him play, the reports are promising.
Hurley - clock is ticking for him if he wants to stick around.
Clancee - I rate him, just can't get a good run of it.

Ballaz - ok in patches, better than last year.
Morabito - frustrating, make or break two months coming.
Dawson - serviceable.
Bennell - biggest disappointment in my time as a Freo fan not being able to see him.
Ibbo - poor
DPearce - serviceable
Fyfe - very good while he was playing, 2 of his games were outstanding.
Suban - ok
DeBoer - great he is playing at Peel : )
Walters - very good, has shown he can play in the middle which will help in 2017.
Sheridan - patchy but think he will improve.
Griffin - serviceable
Mzungu - see DeBoer
Weller - exciting, would like to see more possessions but he will make it.
Hughes - I am not a fan, but will reserve judgement until he has another few games in the AFL team.
Mundy - has tried hard but will be a year to forget for him.
Crozier - very good last 5 weeks, has saved his career.
Tucker - promising, a rising star nom would be a good year for him.
Blakely - so impressive, can see him being an A-grader, is a quicker Hasleby.
Tabs - has been good, still a few moments to forget but think he has turned the corner and will be a player we rely on in 2017.
TSmith - going ok until injury, big call on his future.
Mayne - frustrating as, the momentum stopper at times, enjoyed the easy pickings in a few wins, always trying.
Balic - write off this year.
APearce - A-grader of the future
Langdon - big two months coming, hasn't quite shown what others have but may have been harsh to drop him, would like to see him play on a wing.
Neale - excellent, may get an AA selection.
Grey - is a DeBoer type, not sure he will be best 22 ever.
Pav - some moments have brought a tear to my eye, will never be anything other than a legend in my mind.
Clarke - p-weak.
Sandi - bring on 2017
Hill - kicking is off, has had so many chances to kick goals and hasn't, if he kicks them next year will be AA.
Sutcliffe - our most overrated player imo, shanks too many kicks for mine, is borderline B22 going forward.
Spurr - serviceable, more polish will be nice but he is commited as they come.
Apeness - hopefully we see him in the last few rounds, liked what I have seen, albeit not much.
Silvagni - bye bye, a shame any time we might need him he gets injured himself.
MJ - next year will be his last, hasn't been the same since that back injury against Port rd 23, 2014.
Hannath - the worst player we have had on our list in 15 years.
DeLuca - probably wont be around in 2017.
Collins - I like what I see, big strong, smart player, will take the 2nd best forward in future with APearce taking the guns.
Yarran - disappointing, couldn't get his body right, got his body right and then got in trouble, could be a surprise delisting but hope he shows us something late as I think he Is capable.
Uebergang - sounds like a prospect
Nyhuis - haven't seen him play, the reports are promising.
Hurley - clock is ticking for him if he wants to stick around.
Clancee - I rate him, just can't get a good run of it.

Great that you took the time to share your thoughts.

I find the Blakley to Haselby comparison interesting. Haselby was one of the most gifted players I have seen and if he had Pav's dedication and lack of major injury could and should have been a greater legend of this club.

Haselby was a terrific mark for his size and a very good kick for goal, Blakley needs to work on those skills. But Blakley is far more explosive and already harder at the ball and man than Haz.

What is absolutely the same between the two of them is the fantastic quick hands in traffic. They are both footballers with the football smarts rather than athletes. If Blakley continues on his improvement he may end up being better which is really saying something. Blakley is currently developing quicker than the highly related Weller which means combined they have been the greatest bonus this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back