Mid Season review

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Saw this on the Doggies' thread so I thought we should have one. Feel free moderators to scrap this one and put up another review thread. I have a few questions to structure the talk but anyone can add their own.

1. Has our improvement come from drafting new players or improvement in existing personnel? Obviously, explain your opinion

2 Where will we finish?

3. Which players have improved this season?

4. Which players have stagnated or gone backwards?

5. If you were coach which what things would you do differently?

6. As a team, what is our biggest strength?

7. As a team, what are our biggest weaknesses?

8. Name one gettable player you'd like to see as an off-season trade target.

9. Anything else you want to add

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
1- IMO improvement has come from the overall strategy and direction of the club on and off field as a whole since Fagan and Noble came on board. Player recruitment and development has been better targeted, individually tailored and player welfare has been made a priority.

2- 7th to 10th.

3- Hugh McCluggage, Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner, Mitch Hinge, Eric Hipwood and Dan McStay, all except Richy still a work in progress though.

4- Allen Christensen, Ryan Bastinac, Tom Cutler, Archie Smith.

5- I'm not a fan of 2 ruckmen both of who don't offer much in the forward 50.

6- Elite young talent and steady improvement.

7- We need more A grade talent in the midfield, could come from development of the young guys already on the list or trade. We also need run out of defense and on the wings, Zac Bailey? Noah Answerth? Cedric Cox? James Madden???

8- Darcy Parish or dream scenario Stephen Coniglio.

Our club is in great hands, no need to panic, there is demonstrated clear improvement, best indicator is our percentage. 2016- 61.63%. Fagan arrives > 2017- 74.31%. 2018- 89.07%. 2019- 103.06%

Lions Lions

All Australian
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1- Our improvement has come from improved drafting. It has pushed out players not taking us forward. There has also been some improvements in existing personal but the draft has been our key dribibg force.
2- 6th
3- McCluggage Andrews Neale, yes thats right Neale, he is having his best career seaaon.
4- Robertson, christenson and Taylor.
5- Agree whole heartedly with Jason PM the 2 ruckman system not working overall. Need more drive off halfback. Need to take the game on and execute by foot .
6- Cohesive ball movement and creating predictability.
7- drive off halfback and elite ruckwork.
8- maybe a dream but Coniglio for midfield -obrien for ruck - whitfield halfback.
9- realistically 7-5 good start and we can build off it, would still like to see young players filter through and get a taste on back half of the year. Cant wait to see Joyce in action at top level.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
9- realistically 7-5 good start and we can build off it, would still like to see young players filter through and get a taste on back half of the year. Cant wait to see Joyce in action at top level.

If we lose chance of finals I’d definitely like to see it. Right now, Lyons is tracking to not debut after 3 years, and Wooller, Payne and Ballenden after 2. With two debutants this year, I definitely want to see two or more debutants to add onto Hinge and Answerth.

Either this or see some fringe young guys hold or find their spot, like Allison, Cox, or Starcevich.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Jarryd Lyons really is a frustrating player, can be awesome one week and downright ordinary the next, he is 26 years of age so right in the prime of his career and at that age needs to be a lot more consistent with his performance level.

Maybe one of the reasons the Suns were happy to move him on.

I hope we are going hard at Darcy Parish and/or Brayden Sier, I know Sier hasn't been a consistent performer yet but his glimpses are outstanding, both would be an upgrade on Lyons and Matho IMO.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
1. Has our improvement come from drafting new players or improvement in existing personnel? Obviously, explain your opinion
I am firmly of the opinion that our improvement has come purely from drafting two players. Without Neale and Lyons, and for his first two games McCarthy, we wold be bottom six. Would like to point out that we were very unlucky last year not to have won more games

2 Where will we finish?
Seventh to tenth

Rich is having a blinder. Hugh McCluggage Mich Robbo. Ainsworth

Stef Martin only lost his position twice last year. The Big O has done very little. Take out one quarter and what are you left with? I was hoping our two key forwards would both add at least ten goals to what they kicked last year. It ain’t happening.
Witherden has stagnated.
We then have a series of players who have not been regular selections and are some posters favourites and others whipping boys but none of them have played any better than last year. Nick Robbo, Taylor Matho, Walker Keays Bailey Smith

The two ruck thing isn’t working and I would have given Raynor a spell in the Twos, and I do mean a spell. He has now lost all confidence.

No injuries for two years. I don’t know if it is luck but we are leading the league by a country mile in this category.

We need a key forward now. Hippy and McStay will get better but we need someone who can take marks down the line.

As key forward are in short supply I suppose any good midfielder that is out of contract

Zorks Harris Andrews and Gardener are having fine seasons once again. I feel I have been a bit negative in this review but I have a question for all.
Where would we finish if Neale missed the rest of the season?

improvement has come from both sides of the coin. Guys like Witherden, McCluggage, Berry, Hipwood and Andrews are incredibly important cogs for us, whereas Neale, Lyons, Cameron and McCarthy are all pivotal to us climbing the ladder.

2 Where will we finish?

6th-10th

McCluggage has been the biggest improver and is one of the best wings in the comp despite it not being his best position long term.

I think McStay deserves some credit too. While he is still working on his goal kicking, his presence as a forward has been much improved this year.

martin tops the list for mine but purely due to age. Cutler too, but due to his omission being due to him not delivering on what the coaches need out of him.

I'm not naive enough to think I'd do a better job than our coaches, but the one thing I'd change is trying Walker as the forward/second ruck and try and run a smaller team.

our ability to generate scoring opportunities.

our ability to defend rebound 50s. No issue when pressure is put on up the ground, but our pressure up the ground is way too inconsistent.

SPS hands down. If he weren't gettable, then Darcy Parish.

it's easy to forget how far we've come as a club. Positivity is needed now more than ever and think we'll be happier people for it!

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. Improvement is wide spread and purely not on one factor. The Neale/Beams factor obviously has to be taken into consideration and on this fact you would have to say that Neale is an upgrade on Beams. You would also have to take into consideration off field as well and think that Neale would be more professional and this further impacts. I think the biggest change is our game style, we no longer play on as much, look for that 45deg kick as much and feel that we are structured a lot more and think that we are possessing the ball more (maybe too much) and playing safe and think that this is the biggest factor.
2.Honestly, who knows. I think we will just finish outside the 8 and that is a massive improvement and can not be discredited. I fear what would happen if we were to make the 8 and play away.
3. Daniel Rich - solid as a rock down back and should at least be definitely in the top 40 All Australian squad. Hugh McCluggage - glimpses of what he was like prior to being drafted and a lot cleaner with the ball.
4.Gone backwards? That’s a hard one. Martin has raised the bar very high and think that he hasn’t met it this year. Witherden but I feel that he is being coached to play more safe and reduce those risky turnovers. Still a lot of imrpvement especially fitness and off-field professionalism to go but confident that he’ll meet it.
5. 2 ruck set up. This means we are way too tall in the forward line and also impacts on our ball movement. As previously noted our ‘safe ball’ movement has swung too far and think that this was evident especially against Freo. Is this because of our current listed players and not having anyone who can break the lines or is it an actual desire from the coaching staff.
We also play the boundary way too much.
6. Our contested footy and pressure has improved and this is evident and even though I said it’s too early is a good sign for finals type footy.
7. There is still a lot to improve and that’s fine. Our backline isn’t set yet, does have the makings but missing one or two either a running hbf or intercepting defender or both. Outside run is a concern and think that 2 wings would be beneficial. Midfield depth. An up and coming ruck, Big O and ?. Functioning forward line = KPF who can lead at the ball and kick straight. Another elite small forward. Skills cleaned up overall.
8. Gettable? Who is gettable? We would have said we would have gotten Neale. Not sure how to answer this. Maybe more midfield assistance for Neale. Do like Zac Jones but isn’t an A grader
9. The AFL is the worst run elite sporting program in the world IMO. I am forever shaking my head in disbelief with their fumbling of our great game and adhoc decision making. Sometimes it makes me want Vlad to come back. Disgrace!

Lions Lions

All Australian
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we lose chance of finals I’d definitely like to see it. Right now, Lyons is tracking to not debut after 3 years, and Wooller, Payne and Ballenden after 2. With two debutants this year, I definitely want to see two or more debutants to add onto Hinge and Answerth.

Either this or see some fringe young guys hold or find their spot, like Allison, Cox, or Starcevich.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think lyons will get his chance as will wooler (whose first year was wrecked by injury). Doubt payne gets a run, hasnt impressed me in neafl.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

improvement has come from both sides of the coin. Guys like Witherden, McCluggage, Berry, Hipwood and Andrews are incredibly important cogs for us, whereas Neale, Lyons, Cameron and McCarthy are all pivotal to us climbing the ladder.

2 Where will we finish?

6th-10th

McCluggage has been the biggest improver and is one of the best wings in the comp despite it not being his best position long term.

I think McStay deserves some credit too. While he is still working on his goal kicking, his presence as a forward has been much improved this year.

martin tops the list for mine but purely due to age. Cutler too, but due to his omission being due to him not delivering on what the coaches need out of him.

I'm not naive enough to think I'd do a better job than our coaches, but the one thing I'd change is trying Walker as the forward/second ruck and try and run a smaller team.

our ability to generate scoring opportunities.

our ability to defend rebound 50s. No issue when pressure is put on up the ground, but our pressure up the ground is way too inconsistent.

SPS hands down. If he weren't gettable, then Darcy Parish.

it's easy to forget how far we've come as a club. Positivity is needed now more than ever and think we'll be happier people for it!
On your last point I wholeheartedly agree. Do I get frustrated and disappointed after a loss, absolutely. But let’s put things into context here for crying out loud. Think the bye might do some good for some.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think lyons will get his chance as will wooler (whose first year was wrecked by injury). Doubt payne gets a run, hasnt impressed me in neafl.
I think your correct with Wooler.
Having seen a few NEAFL games live payne has elite closing speed for his size.. Have to remember that he missed all of last year with injury and whilst he could impact on some contest a little more, his agility and speed could be useful In a slowish backline. Young blokes like Wooler, Ballenden and payne could get their opportunities IF top 4 is out of reach. Just great to have some depth.

BrainOfMorbius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

70-30 new players vs improvement. The impact of Neale on our midfield effectiveness is obvious, a clear upgrade on Beams. Lyons is an absolute free hit. On the other hand McCluggage has stepped up to another level, and there has been an incremental improvement in our defence.

2 Where will we finish?
The ladder predictor I did the other day suggests 9th. 8th or 9th I'd say.

As above - McCluggage. I think McStay has been tremendous this year, despite some terrible kicking. His forward defensive pressure is outstanding. A little bit of a better go with the umpires and he could've win us a couple of extra games. He's very close to becoming a top line forward.
EDIT: Should've also added Rich and Answerth, who've been excellent.

It's plain that Rayner is experiencing a difficult second album. It looks like Fagan has preferred to keep him in the side to allow him to play himself back into form, perhaps also thinking that the NEAFL doesn't offer much in the way of meaningful development to him. But I think the time has come to give someone else a chance

I don't presume to know more about coaching or food team than Fagan, but I might have kept Keays in for a bit longer.

The midfield is giving us scoring opportunities abound, especially from centre bounces.

Inability to capitalise on the inside 50s the midfield generated. Poor delivery combined with ordinary shooting for goal has cost us dearly at times.
We still have a tendency to be caught out in defence on a fast break. The defence needs to continue to develop and improve.

Pass. A player might be "gettable" by a team in an AFL state but not by Brisbane, so the definition of the word is up for debate. If be looking at players at Geelong in particular who aren't getting a game that might perhaps be a first team prospect here.

A great deal depends on how the team reacts to the Carlton loss and how we prepare for the second half of the year. A loss to the Saints will cruel our chances. Nevertheless even a mid-table non-finals year would be a considerable improvement, just not what would have been up to our revised expectations after round 10.
The loss of Bailey was very damaging and hopefully he can avoid injury for the rest of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back