Analysis Mid season review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong 2008 wasn't an 11-1 side, it was a 21-1 side - I guess what I'm trying to say is that Geelong 2008 (and Essendon 2000) were on another level compared to StKilda 2009, Collingwood 2011 and Carlton 1995.
At this stage we were an 11-1 side.
No more needs to be said though

I'm finding it hard not be excited by this team we've got right now.

Defence: A — The team at the back is solid as they've always been with stalwarts Taylor, Stewart, Blicavs. & Kolo. Clarke has added some great pace to the HBF position and his football brain stands out, he's a long term player for us. Tuohy & O'Connor have been serviceable and sometimes inconsistent and that leaves the door open for Bews and Henderson (we have depth).

Midfield: B+ — I have marked our midfield down a little because we haven't been winning the centre that well. Even though Stanley is solid as a ruckman, we're not always winning the clearances. The contested and ground ball work of our midfield is superb though and this is what makes up for any stoppage deficiencies.

Forward: A+ — This new tactic of only having one player go for a mark as well as the overall efficiency of our forward entries has been the huge change in the team from last year. Geelong often loses the i50 stat this year because we don't need repeat entries if we kick a score on the first one. So the stat becomes meaningless. TBone is in the best form of his life, and the addition of Rohan, Dalhouse, Atkins, & Miers has been a masterstroke. But the best part of our forward line now is using Ablett as a high HF means the delivery to our Key forwards is the best I've seen in years. Put all this together and it spells MAGIC.

I like how the team can grind out wins if they have to, meaning if the opposition (or the conditions) manage to stop us moving the ball easily the players can just keep working away and making the most of the opportunities they do get. I know some people hate it when they see this and think it means the side is playing badly, but I take heart because come finals there won't be any easy games. The guys will have to grind out games against quality opposition, and the fact we can is a very positive sign to me.

Another thing I've noticed is when some teams have jumped us early and put scoreboard and physical pressure on the team making the lads look shaky, the guys have managed to pull the game back to even terms and then pass the opposition completely. This is no easy feat without runners, it shows the maturity and smarts of our leaders. Sydney & Richmond both did this recently, and we all remember those finals we lost in the first quarter where a team blew us out of the water. But the guys have shown us this year multiple times they can now turn these situations around. Sure, they haven't proven this in a final yet, but the signs are heartening just the same.

The best thing I can say about the team just watching the games is this is a united team, they love playing together, and you can really see that on the field.

Overall, Geelong has a real crack at winning a flag this year. We can't deny it. I'm not saying that means we will, or, we'll be a shoo in for it, the team still has a lot of work to get through to even get to grand final day. There's no certainties here. We'll need luck with injuries too. I'm keeping everything crossed that our boys will go all the way in 2019.
Blakey, what a sensational post! You have nailed it! I've also noticed that when we are behind, we have pulled the game back on our terms. In the past we've relied on Selwood to do this + drag the team with him. We're no longer relying solely on the heavies to carry the load, everyone is playing their role + reaping the rewards. As you said so well:
"The best thing I can say about the team just watching the games is this is a united team, they love playing together, and you can really see that on the field."
It's another hugely noticeable quality this Season. There is a much happier, more enthusiastic energy amongst the players, they are closer + really enjoying their footy. All of that means, we're happier as supporters + enjoying the wins.

The other big change is that Selwood has sacrificed his game, by moving to the Wing. He said earlier in the Season that the reason for the move was to save his legs, stay fitter during the Season, because the pressure of playing in the middle was very taxing. It's been another change, like Ablett moving Forward that has revitalised the Midfield. The change also gives the younger players more responsibility, experience + development, + it seems they are flourishing. In particular, Kelly has blossomed! Selwood is using his footy nous, ability to read the play, so less crash + bash has improved his endurance. He's pouncing on ground balls + linking up, with a bit more room than in the congested Midfield. Selwood's move to the Wing shows his leadership ability, confidence + trust in his players. There are still times when Selwood has been thrust into the middle to turn a game around, Q3 in the Sydney game, when he + Danger were sent to improve Clearances.

As usual many fantastic posts on here which makes this board even more enjoyable. Lots of knowledge and great insights as well :thumbsu:

I'm cautious about going too early but we seem to have so much going right in addition to the Win/Loss :

The group looks totally on the same page with the game plan , total buy in
Whilst we have the Wolf Pack and the Misfits we seem a very united team who enjoy each others company
Our game plan matches our assembled talent and it's devastating when it comes together
Veterans are playing magnificently and the young guys are playing out of their skins
We have depth and not a lot of injuries

There's always a catalyst for a flag and maybe the hurt from prior finals series together with a fresh approach and game plan will prove to be ours?
Did I just say that? Said I wasn't going too early :eek:

F2G, who are the players in the Wolf Pack + the Misfits? I've heard the term once or twice before, love the names, but have no idea which players are in them.

;););)

Keep Calm + Keep the Lid Firmly On-Smaller.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back