List Mgmt. Mid-season rookie draft

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
With the draft only 6 weeks away, who should we be targeting?

A key defender is the obvious hole with Rance going down, but we seem to be pretty comfortable using Grimes, Astbury and Broad in those roles and with Garth sitting in the VFL and Balta showing he's more than capable of filling in down there, perhaps we may be better off going for a mid or even just picking whoever we feel is best available?

Jye Bolton anyone?

Willo_23

Senior List
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought Nathan Freeman was stiff to be delisted by the Saints after he seemingly just got his body to the point where he could play (then they go sign Hannebery, go figure).

Apparently he's dominated the opening two games in the VFL. I know positionally he may not be exactly what we need, but I think he's worth a free hit for half a season. He was a top 10 selection after all.

Willo_23

Senior List
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Surely we just grab the best available kpp in the state leagues?

My only concern with that though is, I think it would be incredibly difficult to get a key defender up to speed with the system and his teammates in half a season when we're already in the cut and thrust of footy.

Especially given how much our defense works in unison, I just think it'd be hard to plug someone into that role and for it to work well.

SA_Tiger11

All Australian
Nov 22, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
My only concern with that though is, I think it would be incredibly difficult to get a key defender up to speed with the system and his teammates in half a season when we're already in the cut and thrust of footy.

Especially given how much our defense works in unison, I just think it'd be hard to plug someone into that role and for it to work well.
Yeh fair call. Nathan Freeman would be worth a sniff.

Don’t see anyone coming in and having an instant impact though.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Question. As I understand it the only way we can take a pick in the mid season draft is if we have a season ending injury as we used up all our remaining spots with Stack and Weller. Obviously as it stands this is Rance but what happens if we take a pick and Rance makes a miraculous recovery ala Goldsack? Can Rance return if we release the rookie? Can the rookie stay on if we have another season ending injury later on in the year? If the answer is no, would the club hold off on the rookie draft in hope that Rance gets back if he's rehab is going exceedingly well?

As long as they are sure Rance is gone I'd say best available.

We have backup KPFs, and KPBs in the VFL. There might be some genuine AFL quality KPB out there, but I doubt it. Getting another guy as good as what we already have isn't worth it. i.e. Getting they need to be better than Garth to make it worthwhile. Otherwise we just keep playing the guys we already have.

So I'd just roll the dice on the best available and hope for a Kelly. If we get another good one then we have totally killed the drafts for this year.

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Herald Sun article stating we won't participate as we don't want to put Rance on the long term injury list.

We're backing the great man in.

If this was to happen, and we won the GF... I would quit football... Nothing would top that.

d1b1fac3a8785c1304f51f71686a2a2b.jpg

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Warehousing shortlist in the event Tigers feel the need to be in the mid season draft....

Short - Only in the event he doesn't look to be recovering from his operation on schedule.

Markov - Ditto

Grigg - similar though it seems he is back training

Miller - I would be reluctant if he continues showing signs of improvement

Menadue - Had a decent enough match Saturday night, no for me.

Weller - Would be harsh but right now we may need players to fill other roles more

Townsend - Interesting one, no obvious senior role for him but things can change and the guy runs in very straight lines.

Aarts - too harsh on him in his first year on the list and has down nowt wrong.

Chol - No, has a clear point of difference with his athleticism and no shock to see rapid improvement.

Moore - Is in a bit of no mans land role wise, not really big or physical enough to be a forward/ruck option, not skilful enough ball in hand to play other roles, but looks very good at VFL level.

So let's say Grimes does a 6 week hamstring just before the draft and it is decided we need key defensive cover. Who gets "warehoused?" What a shocking fate that would be for any fit player.

Herald Sun article stating we won't participate as we don't want to put Rance on the long term injury list.

We're backing the great man in.

If this was to happen, and we won the GF... I would quit football... Nothing would top that.

d1b1fac3a8785c1304f51f71686a2a2b.jpg

Gees that's a gutsy call by the club.

Even if we play finals and go deep that's only 6 months. Half the standard time it takes to get back.

Very risky for both Alex and the club.

Has the club revealed which type of graft was used for his reconstruction?

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Delist the spud Mav Weller and upgrade for a cheese burger

I suppose this is it. We thought we could use an extra inside mid/forward and so fair enough, snapped up Weller. We weren't to know all small forward options would be fit and in form and Ross would look appreciably better on debut at 18 than Weller did in the first couple of rounds. Rance going down at a time when Garthwaite was way underdone, and had we been making the selection with the benefit of hindsight, you take a key defender rather than the inside mid.

So being brutal, do you take the opportunity to go back over the decision with the benefit of hindsight, and warehouse Weller and grab the best available key defender? Or do you say it is a long season and a mature body like Weller could come in handy later on, in wet weather and so on, and back your judgement on him. Players can adapt and improve in relation to how they fit into the team and might it be an error to jettison him? In 2017 you may have used similar reasoning to warehouse Townsend mid season and thankfully that didn't happen.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
I suppose this is it. We thought we could use an extra inside mid/forward and so fair enough, snapped up Weller. We weren't to know all small forward options would be fit and in form and Ross would look appreciably better on debut at 18 than Weller did in the first couple of rounds. Rance going down at a time when Garthwaite was way underdone, and had we been making the selection with the benefit of hindsight, you take a key defender rather than the inside mid.

So being brutal, do you take the opportunity to go back over the decision with the benefit of hindsight, and warehouse Weller and grab the best available key defender? Or do you say it is a long season and a mature body like Weller could come in handy later on, in wet weather and so on, and back your judgement on him. Players can adapt and improve in relation to how they fit into the team and might it be an error to jettison him? In 2017 you may have used similar reasoning to warehouse Townsend mid season and thankfully that didn't happen.
Weller was passed his use by date at the Suns. Townsend in 17 asked to be played as a forward rather than Cotchin’s bodyguard. Townsend was allowed to build and develop his game in the seconds.
Recruiting Weller was just stupid imo

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Gees that's a gutsy call by the club.

Even if we play finals and go deep that's only 6 months. Half the standard time it takes to get back.

Very risky for both Alex and the club.

Has the club revealed which type of graft was used for his reconstruction?
There's no risk, they are not saying they are going to play him, they are saying we are going to see what happens.

There's no risk, they are not saying they are going to play him, they are saying we are going to see what happens.
Sorry I meant risky if he does indeed end up playing

Back