Live Event Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

CCJ is 19

Soldo was a soccer player. He has could have huge development left in him.
Yes he's 19 but even at that early stage you can see where they're better, for example Sam Draper was near useless forward of centre but looked awesome at the stoppage.

Soldo's improved heaps, but I maintain my point of you guys needing a better ruck if he has another dumb moment like with Worpel.

First Round:

1. Carlton: Kyle Dunkley
2. North Melbourne: Sam Lowson
3. Gold Coast: Lochlan Dickson
4. Melbourne: Cory Gregson
5. Sydney: Mitchell Hibberd
6. Western Bulldogs: Cody Hirst
7. Hawthorn: Josh Deluca
8. Essendon: Mitch Riordan
9. Port Adelaide: Lachlan Hosie
10. Adelaide: Matt Nunn
11. Richmond: Michael Knoll
12. GWS: Marlion Pickett
13. Collingwood: Adam Tipungwuti

Second round:

14. Gold Coast: Declan Mountford
15. Sydney: Reuben William
16. Western Bulldogs: Daly Andrews
17. Essendon: Oliver Eastland
18. Richmond: Jack Mayo
19. GWS: Jarvis Pina

Third round:

20. Sydney: Brady Grey

I'm fairly sure that's the draft order, if anybody has news for me I'll add the picks later. If I'm unsure of your needs I've gone with who I think the best available is at that point in time.
Updated with Sydney having two more picks than I thought.

hawkermitch

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This may sound a bit silly as clearly players who nominate for the mid season want to be on an AFL list.

Sam Fletcher signed with Box Hill and was happy to go to Gold Coast as SSP.

What if a player nominated does not want to move interstate such as Josh Dunkley who wanted to stay in Victoria.

I'm guessing but clubs willing to draft a mid season player would do their due diligence prior to naming a player.

Hence why Mitch Grigg wasn't drafted to stay in SA.

Thoughts?

This may sound a bit silly as clearly players who nominate for the mid season want to be on an AFL list.

Sam Fletcher signed with Box Hill and was happy to go to Gold Coast as SSP.

What if a player nominated does not want to move interstate such as Josh Dunkley who wanted to stay in Victoria.

I'm guessing but clubs willing to draft a mid season player would do their due diligence prior to naming a player.

Hence why Mitch Grigg wasn't drafted to stay in SA.

Thoughts?
They'd do their due diligence and not pick them probably.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
First Round:

1. Carlton: Kyle Dunkley
2. North Melbourne: Sam Lowson
3. Gold Coast: Lochlan Dickson
4. Melbourne: Cory Gregson
5. Sydney: Mitchell Hibberd
6. Western Bulldogs: Cody Hirst
7. Hawthorn: Josh Deluca
8. Essendon: Mitch Riordan
9. Port Adelaide: Lachlan Hosie
10. Adelaide: Matt Nunn
11. Richmond: Michael Knoll
12. GWS: Marlion Pickett
13. Collingwood: Adam Tipungwuti

Second round:

14. Gold Coast: Declan Mountford
15. Sydney: Reuben William
16. Western Bulldogs: Daly Andrews
17. Essendon: Oliver Eastland
18. Richmond: Jack Mayo
19. GWS: Jarvis Pina

Third round:

20. Sydney: Brady Grey

I'm fairly sure that's the draft order, if anybody has news for me I'll add the picks later. If I'm unsure of your needs I've gone with who I think the best available is at that point in time.
Would be stoked if we can pick up Hirst. Am I wrong to think Daly Andrews plays most of his footy as an inside mid / half back? Doesn't seem like he's the type we'd want to target, but would be interested to hear your reasoning for picking him up

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I'm sure there will be a few names that no one has really even considered who will get a call up. Maybe some teams will view this as a way to promote players from within their own VFL/state league teams.

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Updated with Sydney having two more picks than I thought.
Where has the notion come from that the Swans have three spots available. We have one that I’m aware of - to replace Tippett. No idea where the other two spots materialise from.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
What do people think of Brad Scotts comments?
For those who missed it he said that clubs will most likely take young kids instead of the 23+ year olds that the mid season draft was originally designed for to help top up lists with players that can impact straight away.
He said their list manager said that it takes the skill out of the recruting in November

IMO i couldnt care less if teams take young or older players.
Recruiting is a calculated risk no matter the age of the player.
If my team can grab a 19 year old that missed out on last years draft but they think he will be gone early in Novemebers draft this year then i welcome that.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Personally i dont see Richmond taking a Ruckman

Nankervis will be back in 7/8 weeks max and well before the finals and Soldo does not have a history of getting suspended as well as being durable
CCJ is young but Richmond certainly see him as a Ruck first then Foward but he is just too young and still 2/3 years away from being able to compete

Emergency break glass option. M Choll

Inside mid / M. Pickett would be my guess

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
ALso, I doubt it but is the mid-season draft going to be televised, or is it going to be more like the rookie draft where it all happens online and in the space of about 5 minutes?

Believe Fox Footy are televising.

Can follow via the AFL app/ website to like the rookie draft.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Probably my WA bias and I've seen a lot of his footy both televised and live since his move across but I think Jye Bolton suits Carlton at pick 1 perfectly.

Could start straight away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Probably my WA bias and I've seen a lot of his footy both televised and live since his move across but I think Jye Bolton suits Carlton at pick 1 perfectly.

Could start straight away.
Hé's the guy I want Essendon to grab. Hard running, long kicking midfielder who can kick goals. Cracks in hard. Curious why he was always over looked

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hé's the guy I want Essendon to grab. Hard running, long kicking midfielder who can kick goals. Cracks in hard. Curious why he was always over looked

Agree.

If not for missing some footy back when Schloithe won the Sandover he'd be a triple Sandover medal winner.

Racks up the footy for fun and has become a more rounded midfielder since crossing over from the VFL. Wider grounds has shown his more outside game.

Wouldn't have minded him at West Coast for some more midfield depth either.

We won't have a pick unless Barrass goes LTI list but.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Agree.

If not for missing some footy back when Schloithe won the Sandover he'd be a triple Sandover medal winner.

Racks up the footy for fun and has become a more rounded midfielder since crossing over from the VFL. Wider grounds has shown his more outside game.

Wouldn't have minded him at West Coast for some more midfield depth either.

We won't have a pick unless Barrass goes LTI list but.

Surprised not much mentioned about him

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Surprised not much mentioned about him

If he is going to a contending club for half a season it won't be a big issue but attitude is poor in my opinion, something that cost him at Freo and has turned clubs off at National Draft time.

That's not an excuse for a lower ranked team not to have a punt on him knowing he can play straight up but.

Like I mentioned perfect for a contending team that needs a hole plugged quickly.

Essendon could do with him as a direct replacement for Smith?

Dede

Senior List
May 10, 2019
Sandy
AFL Club
St Kilda
Love to see a club take a punt on Angus hanrahan from the dragons has speed to burn and great kick

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would be stoked if we can pick up Hirst. Am I wrong to think Daly Andrews plays most of his footy as an inside mid / half back? Doesn't seem like he's the type we'd want to target, but would be interested to hear your reasoning for picking him up
Andrews I prefer seeing up the ground on the wing or half forward. Certainly has the pace and kicking skills we need up the ground. Actually amoungst my guess of who we nominated for testing along with Hirst. Not sure on the last one we would have nominated though, Riordan perhaps?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
There was some talk on this board last year that Marlion Pickett could be a huge upside diamond in the rough Tom Stewart/Tim Kelly like pickup, hasn't been getting much talk this year. Has he gone off the boil?

Freezin

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2007
Aotearoa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
Hand injury, played his first game v the previously unbeaten Subiaco on the weekend...did well considering he stepped straight in to the league side without a reserves run first...it's now or never for the fella TBH.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back