Live Event Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

What do people think of Brad Scotts comments?
For those who missed it he said that clubs will most likely take young kids instead of the 23+ year olds that the mid season draft was originally designed for to help top up lists with players that can impact straight away.
He said their list manager said that it takes the skill out of the recruting in November

IMO i couldnt care less if teams take young or older players.
Recruiting is a calculated risk no matter the age of the player.
If my team can grab a 19 year old that missed out on last years draft but they think he will be gone early in Novemebers draft this year then i welcome that.

All for it. Clubs in the window should be looking to fill potential holes (i.e. Richmond a ready made ruckman) whereas anyone not in the window should use it to try and get the next Tim Kelly.

So, as it stands now...

* Adelaide - one, Tom Doedee LTI
* Brisbane - zero
* Carlton - one
, passed on one rookie pick, Tommy Bugg retired, Sam Docherty LTI, recruited Michael Gibbons and Matt Cottrell in SSP
* Collingwood - one Lynden Dunn LTI
* Essendon - one, passed on one rookie pick, Sam Draper LTI, recruited Zac Clarke in SSP (Luke Lavender retirement not counted, Cat. B rookie)
* Fremantle - zero
* Geelong - zero
* Gold Coast - two
, passed on one rookie pick, Rory Thompson and Harrison Wigg LTI's, recruited Sam Fletcher in SSP
* GWS - two, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, Callan Ward LTI, recruited Shane Mumford in SSP
* Hawthorn - one, Will Langford inactive, Tom Mitchell and Tim Mohr LTI's, Conor Nash upgraded from Cat. B to senior list, recruited Ned Reeves in SSP
* Melbourne - one, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, Aaron Nietschke LTI, recruited Corey Wagner and Jay Lockhart in SSP
* North Melbourne - one, passed on one rookie pick, Ed Vickers-Willis LTI, recruited Tom Campbell in SSP
* Port Adelaide - one, Jake Patmore LTI
* Richmond - one, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, Alex Rance LTI, recruited Mav Weller and Sydney Stack in SSP
* St. Kilda - zero, Dylan Roberton and Jack Bytel LTI's, recruited Sam Rowe and Jonathan Marsh in SSP
* Sydney - one, Kurt Tippett inactive, Jack Maibaum LTI, recruited Hayden McLean in SSP
* West Coast - zero, passed on one rookie pick, recruited Keegan Brooksby in SSP
* Western Bulldogs - one, passed on one rookie pick, Liam Picken retired, Buku Khamis upgraded from Cat. B to senior list

Draft order if it were held tomorrow:

1. Carlton
2. North Melbourne
3. Sydney
4. Melbourne
5. Gold Coast
6. Essendon
7. Port Adelaide
8. Western Bulldogs
9. Hawthorn
10. Richmond
11. GWS
12. Adelaide
13. Collingwood
14. Gold Coast
15. GWS

Carlton have Pickett listed as out for the season and Docherty still a chance to play.

Nice effort eth-dog

You dont have Mitch Podhajski being given a chance ?
I would love Pod to get a chance but he's one I feel will need a full year at VFL level
Source? Thought only Tippett was on our inactive list?
Josh Poulter on twitter, he's usually pretty reliable.

What do people think of Brad Scotts comments?
For those who missed it he said that clubs will most likely take young kids instead of the 23+ year olds that the mid season draft was originally designed for to help top up lists with players that can impact straight away.
He said their list manager said that it takes the skill out of the recruting in November

IMO i couldnt care less if teams take young or older players.
Recruiting is a calculated risk no matter the age of the player.
If my team can grab a 19 year old that missed out on last years draft but they think he will be gone early in Novemebers draft this year then i welcome that.
I would have thought that the state leagues would have been pretty much picked clean of any mature age prospects during the SSP.

I very much doubt there are any ready made rucks ready to be picked up from the state leagues that could step in and play a role in an AFL clubs first team, as some people have discussed on here and seem to believe.

There might be some value in a couple of the 19 year olds playing in the NAB league this year, but will teams be offering clearing space on their rookie list come seasons end for them?

The greatest value might be in the 20 to 22 year olds who have performed strongly in any of the state leagues in the early part of this season. Players such as Rueben William.

Almost ready made, but still with potential to further develop their game.

I would have thought that the state leagues would have been pretty much picked clean of any mature age prospects during the SSP.

I very much doubt there are any ready made rucks ready to be picked up from the state leagues that could step in and play a role in an AFL clubs first team, as some people have discussed on here and seem to believe.

There might be some value in a couple of the 19 year olds playing in the NAB league this year, but will teams be offering clearing space on their rookie list come seasons end for them?

The greatest value might be in the 20 to 22 year olds who have performed strongly in any of the state leagues in the early part of this season. Players such as Rueben William.

Almost ready made, but still with potential to further develop their game.
True.
Do you think we either need a SSP or a mid-season draft? Can we have both?

Jake Riccardi was apparently added to the medical screening list the day after Boyd retired.
I'd expect the Bulldogs go tall with at least one of their selections, Gardner or Riccardi. Hirst or William the second selection.

Jake Riccardi was apparently added to the medical screening list the day after Boyd retired.
I'd expect the Bulldogs go tall with at least one of their selections, Gardner or Riccardi. Hirst or William the second selection.
No way known Hirst goes second pick. I think Gardner is a chance though.

Really, will need a link? Even still 50k for half a year vs 70k for a full year

I think it's $80-85k plus match payments for normal 1st year rookies but clubs are able to sign for significantly more although that's more common for the Cat B types or 2nd-3rd year rookies. I know Cox originally signed at Collingwood for around $130k + a car + accommodation.

Nice one. Interesting thoughts as I've heard some rate Hirst higher than Dunkley. I'm not sure Richmond will take a mature Ruck. We're a team that undervalues hit outs and can't see us running with 4 Rucks on our list. Two delisted Kangas on there is not a good sign for the Roos development.
Or it's a good sign for our development and a bad sign for our list management. Don't think that Mountford or Hibberd would have developed too radically in the past six months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another update...

* Brisbane - zero
* Carlton - one
, passed on one rookie pick, Tommy Bugg retired, Jarrod Pickett LTI, recruited Michael Gibbons and Matt Cottrell in SSP
* Collingwood - one, Lynden Dunn LTI
* Essendon - two, passed on one rookie pick, Sam Draper and Devon Smith LTI's, recruited Zac Clarke in SSP (Luke Lavender retirement not counted, Cat. B rookie)
* Fremantle - zero, Matthew Taberner LTI, but may upgrade Jason Carter from Cat. B to senior list
* Geelong - zero
* Gold Coast - two
, passed on one rookie pick, Rory Thompson and Harrison Wigg LTI's, recruited Sam Fletcher in SSP
* GWS - two, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, Callan Ward LTI, recruited Shane Mumford in SSP
* Hawthorn - one, Will Langford inactive, Tim Mohr and Tom Mitchell LTI, Conor Nash upgraded from Cat. B to senior list, recruited Ned Reeves in SSP, may upgrade Changkuoth Jiath from Cat. B to senior list
* Melbourne - one, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, Aaron Nietschke LTI, recruited Corey Wagner and Jay Lockhart in SSP
* North Melbourne - one, passed on one rookie pick, Ed Vickers-Willis LTI, recruited Tom Campbell in SSP
* Richmond - one, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, Shaun Grigg retired, recruited Mav Weller and Sydney Stack in SSP
* St. Kilda - zero, Dylan Roberton and Jack Bytel LTI's, recruited Sam Rowe and Jonathan Marsh in SSP
* Sydney - two, Kurt Tippett inactive, Heath Grundy retired, Jack Maibaum LTI, recruited Hayden McLean in SSP
* West Coast - zero, passed on one rookie pick, recruited Keegan Brooksby in SSP
* Western Bulldogs - two, passed on one rookie pick, Liam Picken and Tom Boyd retired, Buku Khamis upgraded from Cat. B to senior list

1. Carlton
2. North Melbourne
3. Gold Coast
4. Melbourne
5. Sydney
6. Western Bulldogs
7. Hawthorn
8. Essendon
9. Fremantle
10. Port Adelaide
11. Adelaide
12. Richmond
13. GWS
14. Collingwood
15. Gold Coast
16. Sydney
17. Western Bulldogs
18. Essendon
19. GWS

Last edited:
Tabs out for the season, don't know if we'll go for the mid season draft of upgrade Jason Carter from Cat B
I think you'll go MSD, you have a hard on for Jarvis Pina apparently. Plus after round 12 or something you can upgrade him with no LTI

Another update...

* Brisbane - zero
* Carlton - one
, passed on one rookie pick, Tommy Bugg retired, Jarrod Pickett LTI, recruited Michael Gibbons and Matt Cottrell in SSP
* Collingwood - one, Lynden Dunn LTI
* Essendon - one, passed on one rookie pick, Sam Draper LTI, recruited Zac Clarke in SSP (Luke Lavender retirement not counted, Cat. B rookie)
* Fremantle - zero
* Geelong - zero
* Gold Coast - two
* Hawthorn - one, Will Langford inactive, Tim Mohr and Tom Mitchell LTI, Conor Nash upgraded from Cat. B to senior list, recruited Ned Reeves in SSP
* Richmond - one, passed twice at the Rookie Draft, Shaun Grigg retired, recruited Mav Weller and Sydney Stack in SSP
* Sydney - two, Kurt Tippett inactive, Heath Grundy retired, Jack Maibaum LTI, recruited Hayden McLean in SSP
* Western Bulldogs - two, passed on one rookie pick, Liam Picken and Tom Boyd retired, Buku Khamis upgraded from Cat. B to senior list

1. Carlton
2. North Melbourne
3. Gold Coast
4. Melbourne
5. Sydney
6. Western Bulldogs
7. Hawthorn
8. Essendon
9. Port Adelaide
10. Adelaide
11. Richmond
12. GWS
13. Collingwood
14. Gold Coast
15. Sydney
16. Western Bulldogs
17. GWS
Essendon have another due to Smith being out for the rest of the year.

The amount of retirements and season ending injuries at the moment gives me a bit of a dirty feeling...

It makes you wonder how much pressure clubs are putting on.

Last edited:
It makes you wonder how much pressure clubs are putting pressure on.
It sure does. Anyone who understands the game knows that the clubs churn their athletes through the system, but the clubs having access to the guys who weren't drafted last year and there were 118 picks then.

Did any clubs give their players a tap on the shoulder for pick #119 or worse?

Dirty stuff.

That's before we start to look at clubs who have decided to plan for 2020 immediately and put their players on ice as soon as they get an injury.

I think it's $80-85k plus match payments for normal 1st year rookies but clubs are able to sign for significantly more although that's more common for the Cat B types or 2nd-3rd year rookies. I know Cox originally signed at Collingwood for around $130k + a car + accommodation.
Is it bad I instantly thought of this?

1558564930632.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back