News Mid season trade period- possibly 2020 according to AFL website

Remove this Banner Ad

No real issue with it. Won't change the game. It will be little bulls**t trades anyway.
Or could it facilitate further sanctioned tanking? Can't make finals so sell off good players for first rounders and finish lower in the process.

Or could it facilitate further sanctioned tanking? Can't make finals so sell off good players for first rounders and finish lower in the process.

Why would you sell off good players to get better draft picks? Isn't the point of getting good draft picks to get good players? And what's stopping them from doing that in the normal trade period anyway?

Why would you sell off good players to get better draft picks? Isn't the point of getting good draft picks to get good players? And what's stopping them from doing that in the normal trade period anyway?
Ask the media experts writing about my club selling off Cunnington and co the week before we beat the Dogs and Scott got the sack.

Because if finals are gone and you have older players and need to rebuild you can do it earlier in the piece and get an even better draft pick.

If we want competitive games why would we entice clubs out of finals to trade away players for picks to stronger clubs. That's the scenario I see hapening

No real issue with it. Won't change the game. It will be little bulls**t trades anyway.

Until someone tries their arm & a big name moves ...

Are the AFL so desperate for more press, otherwise why?

& again, no care for the second tier, care as much about a WAFL flag as they do footy in Tas, they claim to run the game????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until someone tries their arm & a big name moves ...

Are the AFL so desperate for more press, otherwise why?

& again, no care for the second tier, care as much about a WAFL flag as they do footy in Tas, they claim to run the game????

If it means no more split bye rounds, I'm in.

Because of how the AFL is structured this is likely to be more of a way of moving lesser players and decent role players around. It'd be amazing to see stars move - unless a direct swap.

Think about it. The salary moves as well, presumably. So unless you have a heap of cap space (and the rules stop that) then you can't really bring in someone of a high salary without losing someone on a high salary. Maybe a team might reckon it's their year and trade their first/s for a good player they want, with his salary staying at the other club. Otherwise it's a self limiting system.

44 players on your list with 22 required each week.
An entire off season to decide the make up of your list.
A 22 game season where every team suffers injuries and form lapses.
It's survival of the fittest. Everything is already in place to give every team a decent crack at fielding a solid 22 players every weekend.

The comparison to American sports is pointless because Australian football has its own history and identity and isn't played over 82 games and multiple times a week.
The game isn't crying out for this and it's implementation reeks of desperation in trying to 'compete' with the surge in popularity of the NBA.

We are going to have that farcical situation where a player represents his team one week, then 7 days later potentially plays pulls on different colours, no doubt bringing inside knowledge from his previous side and completely compromising their game plan.

There is also the flow on effect of the stronger and weaker teams and the divide it will create amongst the supporter bases. If an already struggling team trades away one of their marquee players mid season (perhaps to strengthen their draft position), what reason are you giving your supporters to show up for the reason of the year?

I have been for and against various changes throughout my time as a footy fan, but i've always felt the strongest about how ridiculous this one is. Hocking's excuse in using this years mid-season draft as a comparison was beyond stupid as well, because there is a huge difference in grabbing a player from a state league and bringing in one from a direct opponent.

The only way I could support this is if you could only trade players yet to play a game in that particular season. At least that way we aren't conditioning kids (ie. the next generation of supporters) to expect the possibility that any of the boys that wear their colours could trade them in for new ones from one week to a next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back