List Mgmt. Mid year draft? Who should Swans Target?

We’ll have 1st selection. You’ve been hanging out with the Essendon boys haven’t you?

How is the draft order determined?

Like the NAB AFL Draft, the Mid-Season Rookie Draft will be selected in reverse ladder order.
The mid-season draft will be based on the ladder positions as they stand after round 10.
If all clubs have list slots available, the 18th-placed team will have pick one, the 17th-placed team pick two, and so on.

Oh my bad, didn't know that. I heard someone mention "reverse order" when talking about it a few days ago and assumed they meant reverse order that the usual draft is. I don't know why my brain would think that but eh,

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I lo
We’ll have 1st selection. You’ve been hanging out with the Essendon boys haven’t you?

How is the draft order determined?

Like the NAB AFL Draft, the Mid-Season Rookie Draft will be selected in reverse ladder order.
The mid-season draft will be based on the ladder positions as they stand after round 10.
If all clubs have list slots available, the 18th-placed team will have pick one, the 17th-placed team pick two, and so on.
I looked that up a couple of days ago and was very pleased to see we'll have the no 1 pick. Hopefully the first of two this year.
Can this dunkly kick, and is he quick?

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I lo

I looked that up a couple of days ago and was very pleased to see we'll have the no 1 pick. Hopefully the first of two this year.
Can this dunkly kick, and is he quick?
If he’s a better kick than his old man, that should be enough as Andrew himself could at least hit a target (unlike today’s group)!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
So we can pick 2 players now I think.
I’m not totally sure but weren’t we relying on Tippett to retire? Or does Maibaum’s injury assist (promote Bell or Wicks)? Will also depend on salary cap.

Edit: I’d love to take Freeman with the other. I’ve also got to say that if we’re going to select them, play them!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
We needed Tippett to retire so we could take a pick in the mid season draft. So we have just the one pick at this stage.

We used Maibaum's injury to sign McLean during the SSP.
Thanks Robbie, I thought I’d read something about Tippett needing to retire but wasn’t sure. Wouldn’t be surprised if the rule out Smith too.

I’m not totally sure but weren’t we relying on Tippett to retire? Or does Maibaum’s injury assist (promote Bell or Wicks)? Will also depend on salary cap.

Edit: I’d love to take Freeman with the other. I’ve also got to say that if we’re going to select them, play them!

Yep I'd love if we got Freeman!

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep, extremely deep draft in 2008 too. Was a real missed opportunity
did you watch that state carnival in 08? Absolutely fantastic players running around, even a future test match cricketer.

Even though Johnston didn't work out I still think his performances warranted the first round selection

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Yeah Tippet has lodged retirement papers with AFL with final payout which happened yesterday.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
This is saying one pick https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-09/midseason-rookie-draft-clubs-book-in-young-guns-for-medicals

Kurt Tippett retirement - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ns-blocked-on-father-son-20190509-p51lqv.html
As a result of this I suspect we have 2 picks and the article hints that we want Dunkley as one of them too.
As Robbie mentioned earlier, we used our Maibaum pick on McLean. With that, we only have one but consideration will now most likely be given to Smith’s circumstances. We basically have 2 weeks (3 rounds) to sort it out but salary cap considerations play a part (I believe).

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
This is saying one pick https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-09/midseason-rookie-draft-clubs-book-in-young-guns-for-medicals

Kurt Tippett retirement - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ns-blocked-on-father-son-20190509-p51lqv.html
As a result of this I suspect we have 2 picks and the article hints that we want Dunkley as one of them too.

The first article states we have one pick. Kurt's retirement took effect the day before the article was written.

We don't have as yet a second pick.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Bit confused, didn't Tippett officially retire last year? Did he have to 'retire' again because we re-listed him in the offseason?

He retired when we reached a settlement with him during the 17/18 off season but had to re-rookie him for this year otherwise we went over the cap last year and in doing so he un-retired in the eyes of the AFL. Him retiring now is more a technical move as he is a Cat A rookie and could play this week if he didn't submit his retirement papers even though he was never going to.

It also clears up the final payments and opens up a list spot for the mid season draft officially.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Why would we take dunkley when the family dislikes sydney?

There is no dislike from the kids (both did after all nominate us to pick up under the father son rule), just a strong family desire to stay in Victoria. Andrew didn't like the fact he was retired by the club in 2002, but he never stopped the boys from supporting the club, being involved in the rooms after matches or even from training with the club as juniors once they moved back to Yarram.

The club and the family came to an understanding that if a club from outside Victoria or NSW bid on Josh we would match it and Josh would play for us, if not we would let him stay in Victoria. Now that Kyle has been overlooked in one draft he would be more than happy to move to Sydney to play.

There is no dislike from the kids (both did after all nominate us to pick up under the father son rule), just a strong family desire to stay in Victoria. Andrew didn't like the fact he was retired by the club in 2002, but he never stopped the boys from supporting the club, being involved in the rooms after matches or even from training with the club as juniors once they moved back to Yarram.

The club and the family came to an understanding that if a club from outside Victoria or NSW bid on Josh we would match it and Josh would play for us, if not we would let him stay in Victoria. Now that Kyle has been overlooked in one draft he would be more than happy to move to Sydney to play.

Can he play though?

Back