List Mgmt. Mid year draft? Who should Swans Target?

Remove this Banner Ad

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Actually, the only one I think will make a short term difference is marlion pickett... the rest are about development.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
History shows the mid season draft has an extremely poor win rate. When an article lists players who never play a game as the famous stories shows its largely ineffectual. Still clubs approach these things a little differently than before so time will tell

https://www.news.com.au/sport/break...s/news-story/279e23796939858fda6c43058681f41a

You may as well look at the history of the development of fertiliser as it is just as relevant to the discussion as the 1993 mid-season draft. Drafting is way way way better than it was in the early 90's as there was almost no talent scouts back then, and clubs were almost picking names out of a hat. Talent identification is on a different planet these days than back then.

You may as well look at the history of the development of fertiliser as it is just as relevant to the discussion as the 1993 mid-season draft. Drafting is way way way better than it was in the early 90's as there was almost no talent scouts back then, and clubs were almost picking names out of a hat. Talent identification is on a different planet these days than back then.

True

Also true, most draft picks are busts.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Its a huge leap between the State Leagues and/or TAC Cup and the AFL to make an impact mid season via this draft. Clubs will be looking for players for future years or players that can help later in the year once they gain more of a fitness base, become more familiar with their new teams game plan and the role assigned to them.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Its a huge leap between the State Leagues and/or TAC Cup and the AFL to make an impact mid season via this draft. Clubs will be looking for players for future years or players that can help later in the year once they gain more of a fitness base, become more familiar with their new teams game plan and the role assigned to them.
It just goes to show how good Daryn Cresswell and Dale Lewis were. Just to think, Lewis was playing with Torquay, in the Bellarine Football league (3 levels lower than AFL) the year before...huge jump!

Last edited:
I guess if we got a small forward it would allow papley to play more midfield. kyle is prob a good fit for an afl team but I don't think it is Sydney. hey, you know, that's just my opinion.

Papley is finally getting back in form playing forward...how about we keep him there.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Does Smith being put on the LTI list mean we have another position to fill via this mid season draft?
We could use one.
Makes a lot of sense to play the kids this week and let Norf jump above us if there is a player worth getting in the mid season.
And then Rowell....

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Woah, settle down people...we must have the salary cap space to be able to take two rookies!
Easy restructure a couple of existing players contracts of need be. Apparently it happens all the time at all clubs. Rookie contract is only around $60k I believe so only need $120k spare

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Easy restructure a couple of existing players contracts of need be. Apparently it happens all the time at all clubs. Rookie contract is only around $60k I believe so only need $120k spare
Min $50k short term contract plus contingency of $20k should they not be kept on or picked up by another. Prospective $140k

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I note Grigg retired from the Tiggers, freeing a space for them.. Wonder if KJ and Smith will follow the same path.
As Mick mentioned, Dollars will play a huge part.

We might need them on our list to mitigate costs, i think there are still some cost advantages to having older players there. Not as much as before though.

We'd also then have to pay them out.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Smith is now on ltil. I presume that frees up another spot? Or does it just enable an upgrade of an existing rookie?

Smith is now on ltil. I presume that frees up another spot? Or does it just enable an upgrade of an existing rookie?

Rookies can be upgraded now we've hit the mid season point.

It gives us another pick in the mid season draft

As Mick mentioned, Dollars will play a huge part.

We might need them on our list to mitigate costs, i think there are still some cost advantages to having older players there. Not as much as before though.

We'd also then have to pay them out.

Had forgotten about the vets discount.

Back