Opinion Mid Year Review

How have we been so far this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind injuries in a year like this. Obviously the Higgins and Williams injuries are not welcome, same with developing players like Jong, Hrovat and Roberts. But in a development year where wins/losses are not so important, the odd 2-3 week injury to senior players allows more young players to have a go, and makes other players step up in responsibility.

On topic, I think we're about average. Looks like we'll get at least 6 wins, and pre-season I thought we'd struggle to get 5, so that's good. However I also didn't think we'd get blown away so easily, as we have done in several games this year. What I really want to see for second half of the year is no more 10 goal thumpings, stay competitive at all times and hit the scoreboard easier, whether we win or lose. We could quite easily end up with our top goal kicker kicking less than 25 goals this year, which is scarily pathetic...

WESTERN BULLDOGS: (14th - 3-7)
BEST WIN: Round 9 v St Kilda (Etihad Stadium)
For the first time under Brendan McCartney's rein, the Dogs faced serious scrutiny in the build-up to this match. Their drafting was interrogated, their game style put under the microscope and there were comparisons to Melbourne. Then, after conceding the first two goals of the last quarter against the Saints, they made a stand, reeling off six goals. They cleared a major mental hurdle, too, beating St Kilda for the first time since 2008.

WORST LOSS: Round 8 v Gold Coast (Metricon Stadium)
The club's first ever loss to an expansion side. The Dogs were made to look slow and their forward woes were exposed horribly against the younger Suns. They failed to convert dominance into scoreboard pressure early and were helpless to stem a third-quarter Gold Coast blitz.

SUPERCOACH STUD: Will Minson ($572,600, ruck)
As consistent as sunrises, big Will has been the pick of the rucks. Just one score sub-100 (94), an average of 116 and a price rise of $63k. He recorded 57 hitouts against the Power last week - six less than Gary Dempsey's record back in 1982.

SUPERCOACH DUD: Mitch Wallis ($327,000, mid)
Wallis hasn't enjoyed the form spike of close mate Tom Liberatore this year, so if you took the punt on him instead of 'Libba' you missed out. He's yet to crack the ton and has plummeted $140k in price.

HIGHLIGHT: The kids. The Dogs three prized first-round picks (Stringer, Macrae and Hrovat) have already been blooded, father-son pick Lachie Hunter isn't far away and all are showing tremendous signs. Macrae's tricks and goal sense are translating to the elite level, Stringer's physicality and force give the Dogs a target and Hrovat's first two games have added more midfield spark. Combine that with recruits Koby Stevens, Tom Young, Brett Goodes and Nick Lower and the list transformation gives the nucleus for optimism at Whitten Oval.

ROAD AHEAD: Two duels with Melbourne and a bout with the GWS Giants should allow the Dogs to double their wins tally. With Dickson, Boyd and Cooney to return against the Pies and Easton Wood also on the comeback trail, the Dogs have the capability to shape the eight. They could prove dangerous in the run home if they maintain the rage shown in the past fortnight.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...aping-up-in-2013/story-fni5f3kt-1226658023839

Interesting reading a bit overzealous with this statement I think " the Dogs have the capability to shape the eight"

I just watched some highlights from round 1 and have come up with my two biggest negative (that hopefully will turn into positives in the future) for the team list wise.

Cordy's injury. It just sucks because he was really really good in round one and he and Jones worked together so well for space. Both were genuine targets and Cordy had a lot of confidence on the deck. Unlike Jones this year he hasn't been able to stay on the park and therefore was pretty inconsistent. I'm really positive about Cordy's future atm and think our forward second ruck spot will be one of our strengths in the future. I do rate him in a one on one contest and when we're on top in a game i love the way his running patterns can shape our forward line.

Higgins' injury. A lot of people, myself included, were fuming with him after his stinkers in rounds 2 and 3 but round 1 he was bloody electric. At his best he is a hybrid of Murphy and Gia. I really hope we get an ok career out of him- he has managed over 100 games so it's not as disastrous as it was with Tommy Williams. He'll be important in the future and i actually liked his work last year with limited fitness. Didn't get much credit for it.

I just watched some highlights from round 1 and have come up with my two biggest negative (that hopefully will turn into positives in the future) for the team list wise.

Cordy's injury. It just sucks because he was really really good in round one and he and Jones worked together so well for space. Both were genuine targets and Cordy had a lot of confidence on the deck. Unlike Jones this year he hasn't been able to stay on the park and therefore was pretty inconsistent. I'm really positive about Cordy's future atm and think our forward second ruck spot will be one of our strengths in the future. I do rate him in a one on one contest and when we're on top in a game i love the way his running patterns can shape our forward line.

Sorry I just cannot let this go without comment ... How did he go in the other games he played before injury ?
Our forwardline has functioned incredibly better when Stringer, Addison and Williams have been used as a hit up CHF. Jones has performed much better in games Cordy was absent.

Not great the kid is injured but Ill be happy seeing him at Willi if and when he returns at this point.

Sorry I just cannot let this go without comment ... How did he go in the other games he played before injury ?
Our forwardline has functioned incredibly better when Stringer, Addison and Williams have been used as a hit up CHF. Jones has performed much better in games Cordy was absent.

Not great the kid is injured but Ill be happy seeing him at Willi if and when he returns at this point.
He had a bad one against Freo, still kicked a goal but couldn't get into the game until late. As i said in my post "when we're on top in the game" his running gives us good structure. The freo game our entries were pretty putrid because they pressured us the whole way into the forward line.

Then he got injured.

Came back for the Adelaide game, was very good on the deck but wasn't marking well and he got dropped.

Then came the injury.

IMO round 1 was the best our forward line has functioned all year. We had two genuine targets that both got their scoring shots and with Higgins, Gia and Murphy our passing inside 50 was better than it has been all year.

Also Cordy's ruckwork in that game was first rate. We haven't replaced this component in our team yet. Thanks to him, we kept sway in that game on the ball for the whole 120 minutes.

I respect that Ayce has shown different things to different people but he didn't get a run at it this year and round 1 was bloody tantalising. I'm very optimistic about his future due to round 1 and the port and North games last year. There have also been little glimpses like a few grabs i saw him take against Hawthorn and Sydney last year deep in the 50.

You don't have to agree with me, i'm just an optimist with regards to Ayce and i'm not really put off by the bad we've seen in him, a lot of it has been passable for me due to his stage in development strength, fitness and experience- wise.

Also Cordy's ruckwork in that game was first rate. We haven't replaced this component in our team yet. Thanks to him, we kept sway in that game on the ball for the whole 120 minutes.

His 4 hit outs in that game must have been pretty special !!

His 4 hit outs in that game must have been pretty special !!
Feel free to address the rest of my post.

I wasn't at the game so i wasn't counting stats. I thought it was notable that last year he was such a hindrance when he went in the ruck and this year he was a lot more comfortable with the body contact and methodology in his taps. If him getting 4 hit outs makes me wrong then i'll just have to wear it.

Feel free to address the rest of my post.

I wasn't at the game so i wasn't counting stats. I thought it was notable that last year he was such a hindrance when he went in the ruck and this year he was a lot more comfortable with the body contact and methodology in his taps. If him getting 4 hit outs makes me wrong then i'll just have to wear it.

There is nothing else I need to address. We disgaree.
You think Cordy has been missed - I dont think he has. Pretty simple really.

I think Stringer, Addison and Williams have offered us just as much up forward and worked just as well if not better with Jones (whose bags have been when Cordy is out of the side). And I think whoever has been thrown the middle has been admirable and just as servicable as cordy who had 4 HO in round 1, only 3 in round two and then only 8 in round 4 in the pouring rain in a match Will had 47 HO and Jacobs 38.

This post isn't about cordy so Ill change tack back to the team itself.

I voted that we are about where I thought we may be this time of year.
I am very happy Macca heard all the feed back and injected more speed into the team over the last fortnight. Im keen to see more of Stringer, Macrae, Hvorat and Hunter - although the chance Prudden could turn into something special excites me more.

I think as second ruckman go Campbell would be great as a second ruckman playing in the ruck - but not forward, and Cordy is probably a better forward than Campbell but not as strong in the ruck at this point.
Williams would be my first choice in that role every day of the week if fit followed by roughy if we had a tall swing man that could go back while he was in the ruck. For this reason Im very keen on fletcher roberts getting fit and coming in at some stage (Willi playing him in ruck) or even Jones working more as a ruckman to give Will a chop out. Talias development may also help this out as he may be able to cover a tall for periods of games roughy is giving a help out.

I think Stringer, Addison and Williams have offered us just as much up forward and worked just as well if not better with Jones (whose bags have been when Cordy is out of the side). And I think whoever has been thrown the middle has been admirable and just as servicable as cordy who had 4 HO in round 1, only 3 in round two and then only 8 in round 4 in the pouring rain in a match Will had 47 HO and Jacobs 38.

I am very happy Macca heard all the feed back and injected more speed into the team over the last fortnight. Im keen to see more of Stringer, Macrae, Hvorat and Hunter - although the chance Prudden could turn into something special excites me more.

I think as second ruckman go Campbell would be great as a second ruckman playing in the ruck - but not forward, and Cordy is probably a better forward than Campbell but not as strong in the ruck at this point.
Williams would be my first choice in that role every day of the week if fit followed by roughy if we had a tall swing man that could go back while he was in the ruck. For this reason Im very keen on fletcher roberts getting fit and coming in at some stage (Willi playing him in ruck) or even Jones working more as a ruckman to give Will a chop out. Talias development may also help this out as he may be able to cover a tall for periods of games roughy is giving a help out.
Fair enough. I do agree that having Williams, Addison and Stringer has been a good thing too.

I don't think it's so much that Cordy has "been missed" with regards to team performance, i was just asserting that in round 1 we saw a really good version of him and if he didn't have the injury we'd have been able to get him more continuity and games into his development so we see more of that in the future. I don't think his effects on our results would be massive, but getting more football into him will be big in the future because I really see a future in him.

Just quickly, it was obvious in one or two games that he would've been useful, if only to give us a tall target when jones is buggered and to give big will a chop out. In particular the west coast eagles game, where will struggled a bit to run out the second half, agree that in the last month or so he hasn't really been missed so much. Would still be much better if he was fit and could find some form in the vfl.
Agree about Campbell and Cordy.

Regards to our ball moving patterns I thought this was interesting....
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-06/boundary-or-corridor
Note this is for uncontested possession
we move the ball up the corridor 29.8%
we move the ball around the wings 31.3%
we move the ball along the boundary 38.8%

Also Luke Dahlhaus is our main man for moving the ball through corridor
While Clay Smith is our go to guy for moving the ball around the boundary
(if you asked me before I read this I would of said it was the other way around)

plus a few others if anyone is interested
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-04/the-inquirer-the-straight-shooters
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-03/the-inquirer-back-to-the-future?utm_medium=RSS
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-26/play-on-kick-long-head-wide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be getting very concerned if the team was being selected based on Bigfooty feedback.
I think BMac would know exactly what he wants and needs to do regarding team selection, sometimes team balancing, dealing with injuries, sharing game time amongst all the young guys, sending them back to Willi to work on things etc. just means it may take a little longer than what Bigfooty wants.

Ca
Thought pre-season we'd definitely beat Gold Coast and Port up to this point and were a chance of an upset in one of the other games. So 3-7 is about what I thought at this time.

On a couple of our guns:
Thought Minson was outstanding last year but didn't think he'd be able to step up to this level and I had Griffen as a top 20 player coming into the season, definitely in the top 10 as of today (freak!).

Amazing can I ask who is better than him find 20 ?

I'd be getting very concerned if the team was being selected based on Bigfooty feedback.
I think BMac would know exactly what he wants and needs to do regarding team selection, sometimes team balancing, dealing with injuries, sharing game time amongst all the young guys, sending them back to Willi to work on things etc. just means it may take a little longer than what Bigfooty wants.

Who said I said big footy feedback ??
Did you not pick up a paper or turn on the tele in the fortnight before the saints game ?
Plastered everywhere was a one paced midfield - Had nothing to do with us.
But I darte say that the weight opf pressure from everyone who could plainly see that it was one of our issues I think lead to the change - Why don't you check Maccas diary of the people he had lunch with in the fortnight before that game !

Who said I said big footy feedback ??
Did you not pick up a paper or turn on the tele in the fortnight before the saints game ?
Plastered everywhere was a one paced midfield - Had nothing to do with us.
But I darte say that the weight opf pressure from everyone who could plainly see that it was one of our issues I think lead to the change - Why don't you check Maccas diary of the people he had lunch with in the fortnight before that game !

Bold call, but I don't think you can take the credit away from BMac. Even if someone talks about something, they need to be convinced of it in their own mind before they make the change.

Jarrad Grant: Had an underwhelming year, to put it mildly. I don't want to put him on the scrap heap just yet, as he had been injured in the first 4 rounds, but the pressure is well and truly on. Step up or ship out, mate. 2/10

Robert Murphy: Great year, so far. Leader both on and off the field. He was the class we needed in the front half and has played well so far considering his age. Stepped up to the captaincy when Boydy was out and did very well. Heading towards the end, lets hope he sticks around next year. 7/10

Mitch Wallis: Really struggled this year. Has been played out of position as an outside deliverer, which doesn't suit him at the moment. needs to be stuck in the guts and digging it out.Working hard at the moment. Expect a better second half of the year. 4.5/10

Daniel Cross: The vet. He's been good. I don't think he deserved to be dropped as he was playing quite well, but I agree that the speed of the game has caught up with him. He slows our midfield down. Needs to be a bit more productive with his ball use, but everyone needs to remember that he sticks to his strengths. 5/10

Matthew Boyd: Has been alright. A few good games, but his disposal has been disgusting. Still has the ball on a bloody string and will never get less than 25 disposals in a game for you. Improved disposal would push him into the elite category of players, but clearly he isn't the best kick so it'll never happen. Has this year and next before he'll be squeezed out. 5.5/10

Luke Dahlhaus: Hasn't had as many touches or goals this year, but he's had so so much more attention than in previous years.He's working his bum off and tackling and pressuring and doing whatever he has to do. Credit to him. 6.5/10

Shaun Higgins: Started the year like a man who had something to prove. Unfortunately he had a horrible foot injury, which is unfortunate. I saw genuine improvement from him and if he had a good year this year, then I'd say he would have been captain next year. Tough luck, Higgo. Come back refreshed and consistent next year. 5/10

Patrick Veszpremi: Horrible. Has every attribute you need to play footy, bar one. Workrate. He is a lazy footballer, which is bad for us,as he would be very handy on a back flank. Too good for VFL, not good enough for AFL. Sorry mate, you're probably getting the flick at the end of the year. 3/10

Jake Stringer: Excellent. Didn't expect him to play more than 5 games, and he's done that before round 10. Can't wait till he gets a tank and can run out more than a quarter. 8/10

Easton Wood: Could be on the trade table this year. Is almost certainly going to be kept out of the team by Goodes and Young. Will need to be screaming pick me in the VFL to have a run. Hope he gets a go on a HFF tbh. Big body, massive leap and plenty of dash. Can kick it 50+ so I'm surprised he hasn't been tried there! 3/10

Jackson Macrae: Outstanding. Has exceeded all expectations and is one of my new favorite players. I don't see him becoming top 10 in the comp ala Gary Ablett or Scott Pendlebury, but more the next rung like Sam Mitchell or Lenny Hayes. Both still excellent players, but not in the Elite of Elite category. Nothing wrong With Jackson, just my personal opinion. If his kicking could become much better (It's alright now, I'd call it neat) then he could push into the top echelon. 8.5/10

Tom Williams: Poor Tom. My favorite player when he wasn't injured back in 2011. It's back to the drawing board for Tommy. Needs to asses his options and decide whats best for him. I'd personally have full confidence in giving him another year :thumbsu: 4/10

Daniel Giansiracusa: Super sub. Has been excellent since making this position his own. Creative and smart. Masterstroke by the club and I hope he holds the sub vest for the rest of the year. if he wanted another year on top of this one, i'd give it to him. Wouldn't guarantee him games, I'd simply say; When we need you, you play.Similar to Mitch Hahn. 6/10

Clay Smith: Tackling pressure and intimidation factor are a definite selling point. Kicking.. well,not so much. If he hits the gym this off season, I see him reaching 88-90kg and being one of the scarier players in the comp. He has the body shape to carry that weight and with his game style, it'll work well. Clay has been alright this year, but hasn't had the time he was given in the center square by the coaches in the NAB cup. More minutes = improved confidence = Clay in NAB cup (beast mode) 6/10

Jason Tutt: Had a dip in the first few games he was bought in for, then he had one disposal. No Jason, this is not acceptable. I don't see himin the future plans. 2.5/10

Ryan Griffen: Brilliant. What more can I say. Has put his hand up for the captaincy and is now a top 20 player in the comp. Well done, Ryan. 10/10

Adam Cooney: His best year since 2008. Not Brownlow form, but still nothing to sneeze at. has been a consistent player and done some very good things. Helps Griff out with his bursts and the attention can be spread around a bit. 8/10

Fletcher Roberts: Injured for a lot of the year, tough to tell. Hopefully pushing for selection come round 15 or so. 4.5/10

Liam Jones: Has again struggled with the #1 man tag, but is getting much better in the role. Has confidence back and will be a very good CHF in 2 years time. 7/10

Daniel Pearce: Not great. Needs to step up. Was looking lively and about to break through for some regular games at the end of last year, but has stagnated. 3.5/10

Tom Liberatore: Excellent. Stepped up when we needed him to. What a come back from a little misdemeanor. Speaks volumes about his growing maturity. 8.5/10

Dylan Addison: Has been OK. Can't really say much more than that. is a bit part player, which every team needs. Good on him, he's a senior player and he's showing the young kids that if you work hard, you'll get games. 5.5/10

Jordan Roughead: Has done well in his first year at fullback. Steep learning curve but tracking along nicely. Will get better in the role as the year goes on. Well done big fella :thumbsu: 8/10

Nathan Hrovat: Played well in the seconds, then steps up in AFL. Woweee. Class class class all over him. Sam Mitchell V2. What greater similarity is there. 7.5/10

Koby Stevens: Played up and down this year, but has done very well considering it's his first year at the club, new game plan etc. Strong and decent pace, future captain material IMO. Leadership is something that's under rated with Koby. 7/10

Lachlan Hunter: Gone from a chubby, newly drafted kid that looked to be a decent half forward of the future to a pacey, high marking midfielder in the Stevie J mold. Awesome. Can't wait to give him 3-5 games at the end of the year. 7/10

Will Minson: What can I say. Best player on our list, equal with Griffen right now and definitely the best ruck so far this year. Great Job Willy! 10/10

Josh Prudden: Haven't seen much of him,but sounds like he's killing it at VFL level. Hopefully he stays consistent and pushes hard for a late season debut. 6.5/10

Tory Dickson: Injured almost all year, so cant say much. Hope he's back soon and kicking a few goals. 5/10

Christian Howard: Needs a big second half of the year, but he won't be delisted either way. Hopefully keeps up his recent VFL form and gets a game for the dogs to prove to everyone he can be a player. 5/10

Tom Young: Who expected this from Tommy when we traded him in?? good on him. Best 22 easy. 7.5/10

Michael Talia: Played well in the seniors and has been consistent at VFL level. Hope he holds his spot for the rest of the year. Our future. 7/10

Nick Lower: Leader on field. For someone who hasn't been here 6months,he shows enormous pride when he puts on the red, white and blue. Has taken the tagging role from Picko seamlessly. 7/10

Alex Greenwood: Delisted at the end of the year. Too small to be an inside midfielder and hasn't got enough pace to play outside. 3/10

Lukas Markovic: Has played his role but is similar to Addison. Temporary player which every club needs a few of. Had a few decent games this year, nothing to scream about though. 5/10

Dale Morris: Broken leg? What broken leg. Champion. Hope he plays for another 3 years. Deserves about $1,000,000 a year for the work he does. 8/10

Jason Johannison: Great. Has added pace and skill to our backline and will be there for many years to come. Very similar to Dahl, was too small to play AFL but we took both in the rookie draft and now we're laughing. 7.5/10

Liam Picken: We needed a small defender and he's developing into one. Was a foreign role for him, but he's starting to adapt. He was definitely needed down there. 6.5/10

Jack Redpath: Haven't seen enough of him to really comment, but he's learning a new role down back and he is a bloody machine so he'd definitely be an asset if developed well. 3.5/10

Brett Goodes: Has been criticized for his disposal by this board, but that's unfair. Has been very good. Has the occasional shank, but otherwise is pretty tidy. His bad kicks just really standout. is a big body down back who knows how to play the game. Well done to him. 7/10

Tom Campbell: Has suffered because Minno has been so good. Seems to dominate in VFL, so that's a good sign. If he can improve his marking,he should be a good player. 5.5/10

Lin Jong: Injured all year. keep on list for next year. 5/10

Mark Austin: In the same category as Marko. Has been OK. 5/10

Ayce Cordy: Was showing good signs before injury, hopefully kicks a few goals when he returns and has plenty of confidence to carry through the rest of the year. Have faith in the big fella! 6/10

Easton Wood: Could be on the trade table this year. Is almost certainly going to be kept out of the team by Goodes and Young. Will need to be screaming pick me in the VFL to have a run. Hope he gets a go on a HFF tbh. Big body, massive leap and plenty of dash. Can kick it 50+ so I'm surprised he hasn't been tried there! 3/10

Fletcher Roberts: Injured for a lot of the year, tough to tell. Hopefully pushing for selection come round 15 or so. 4/10

Jordan Roughead: Has done well in his first year at fullback. Steep learning curve but tracking along nicely. Will get better in the role as the year goes on. Well done big fella :thumbsu: 7.5/10

Jack Redpath: Haven't seen enough of him to really comment, but he's learning a new role down back and he is a bloody machine so he'd definitely be an asset if developed well. 4.5/10
Good post but a couple of disagreements.

Wood has been injured most of the year, through no fault of his own. Harsh to put him as a 3/10, give him a 5/10 like the other injured players.

Roberts has been doing very well at VFL, and was on the cusp of getting an AFL game then got injured. Would have him 6-6.5/10.

Roughead 8.5, done bloody well as the FB in a bottom 5 team, especially when he hasn't had much AFL experience there at all.

Redpath is 2.5/10 probably. He hasn't shown much at all, been suspended twice, and had to be moved to defence cause he was struggling up forward. People obsess over his size, but he isn't a very good footballer.

Good post but a couple of disagreements.

Wood has been injured most of the year, through no fault of his own. Harsh to put him as a 3/10, give him a 5/10 like the other injured players.

Roberts has been doing very well at VFL, and was on the cusp of getting an AFL game then got injured. Would have him 6-6.5/10.

Roughead 8.5, done bloody well as the FB in a bottom 5 team, especially when he hasn't had much AFL experience there at all.

Redpath is 2.5/10 probably. He hasn't shown much at all, been suspended twice, and had to be moved to defence cause he was struggling up forward. People obsess over his size, but he isn't a very good footballer.
Wood didn't have a fantastic preseason, but as you've said he's been injured for alot of the time when given the opportunity to play AFL. Marked him harshly as I had higher expectations, especially in the preseason.

Roberts has played something like 3 senior VFL games for the entire year. Hasn't had time to be in really good form tbh. played a good game in his last VFL match, but has been sick since then. People overrated his first two games in VFL seniors this year imo. Was OK in his first then pretty good in the second. Wasn't until that last game that he really turned it on.

Roughy, I probably should have given an 8/10,but it's only .5 different. Has struggled at times, but every single fullback in the comp would struggle if playing in a bottom four team right now. Done well for a 22 year old fullback.

Redpath I hadn't seen alot of at all, so just going off random bits and pieces from the VFL threads. Wasn't obsessing over his size, just merely stating that with a body that big, and the speed he has to go with it, there could be a player if developed properly.

Jason Johannison: Great. Has added pace and skill to our backline and will be there for many years to come. Very similar to Dahl, was too small to play AFL but we took both in the rookie draft and now we're laughing. 7.5/10

I reckon JJ's been the most impressive and exciting HB flank since harbrow....love his run

Great write up Dale4captain!

I had us down for 6 wins at the start of the year - Brisbane, Port, GC, Melb, Melb and GWS.
Not an impressive list of teams to defeat but still wins. I am hoping we can sneak another upset scalp in the second half.
Port had a piss easy draw to start off and everyone was and still is raving over them and their coach. They have certainly come back to the field IMO.
I was bitterly disappointed in losing to GC, however over the last few weeks that pain has slowly dissipated watching how well they are travelling. Them beating Norf just about made my day.
I still feel we are on the right track for the first time I can remember in my lifetime and can't wait for the next few years to see what unfolds - If we lose a prelim to GC I will spew up.

Considering we're 3-7, and I had us pegged at 1-9 or 2-8 I'm pretty happy with how it's unfolded. Our loss to Gold Coast doesn't look as bad as time goes on, and the fact that we could keep our feet on Brisbane's throat in Round 1 as well as eke out tough wins against the Saints and the Power (especially in horrendous conditions) convinces me we're on the right track.

Positives: Will Minson (best ruckman in AFL by a country mile) Jordan Roughead (come along in leaps and bounds), Koby Stevens (what a pick-up) Ryan Griffen (would be leading the Brownlow in a team with 5+ wins), Liberatore (he's only 20-21, we get 200 more games of this), and the fast-tracking development of Johannisen, Jake Stringer, Jack Macrae and Nathan Hrovat.

Negatives: Daniel Cross (cooked as a Christmas turkey), Tom Williams (just have to feel sorry for the bloke, could've been anything), Jarrad Grant (going backwards), Shaun Higgins (seriously could've done with the extra 20 games experience) and Easton Wood (could've done with the extra playmaker to complement JJ off half back).

Watch out for: A farewell game from Cross at some stage, Melbourne in Round 23 would be a good way to go. There's no chance of another year at senior level unfortunately. We'll see some big cuts at the end of the year too, as Macca said, and the next 12 games are career-defining for Grant, Howard and Tutt.

End of season predictions:
8 Wins, 14 Losses, Our wins to come being Melbourne, Melbourne, GWS, and 2 out of the following 4: Brisbane up there, St Kilda, West Coast over here and Adelaide over here.
Ryan Griffen Best & Fairest, Liberatore runner up.
Jones to take out leading goalkicker with a few more bags of four.

Back